Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal file sharing, caught

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

There was an Irish Netsoc almost shut down for having MP3s to download. Can't remember if they were illegal MP3s or not but the netsoc clamped down very much since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by Placebo
    hey who the hell uses kazaa anyway, bit torrent, now can u get caught using that ?

I was using bt++ and got a call about two months ago from an embarrassed level 1 technician at esat/bt saying they had been called by universal studios about a film i was sharing at the time. "Please stop and uninstall bit torrent". He was able to quote the film name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Apparently if you only download on BT from people who are outside the USA it's extremely unlikely you'll get in trouble.
    Although I don't know how to filter BT like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I know our netsoc received some communication telling them to stop the rampant file sharing that was occuring through their facilities or they'd be sued...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

If people are worried being caught they should use anonymous proxies (they don't log anything).

You can chain a couple of them...(if not a hundred if you want to) it might slow down your download a bit but at least it will mask your IP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never heard of any cases regarding this in Ireland. Perhaps it cause not many people have been using broandband? Whos gonna sit on a 56K and download movies?!

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

i did
    took a while...

of course i was on SNL at the time (before my broadband) so i wasnt too worried about length of time spent online...

Downloaded quite a few actually - you just had to start them by 6pm on friday and make sure it cut off by 8am on the monday :)

Originally posted by uteotw
    If people are worried being caught they should use anonymous proxies (they don't log anything).

You can chain a couple of them...(if not a hundred if you want to) it might slow down your download a bit but at least it will mask your IP.

How'd u do that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Placebo
    hey who the hell uses kazaa anyway, bit torrent, now can u get caught using that ?

And the answer is yes!
    A friend of mine got a phone call from Esat saying that they were contacted by Universal and that he had been downloading from suprnova.org

So its far from safe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I'll dig up the list of softwares and step by step...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

Complete rubbish. They would either contact via email or post. It would be done formally in writing. This is to protect the ISP from any action in the future.

Irish ISP's generally have connections to larger US ISP's. They would be worried that copyright owners would take action in the US, that could result in loss of a peering connection.

Also don't forget that records of Internet access can be stored for a long time. It could be 2 - 5 years before any action is taken.

When a copyright holder takes action in this country, you will read about it in the news papers. Generally they will take a handful of test cases in a particular country to discourage other downloaders.
    Originally posted by Cabaal
    And the answer is yes!
    A friend of mine got a phone call from Esat saying that they were contacted by Universal and that he had been downloading from suprnova.org

So its far from safe tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by zt
    Complete rubbish. They would either contact via email or post. It would be done formally in writing. This is to protect the ISP from any action in the future.

Irish ISP's generally have connections to larger US ISP's. They would be worried that copyright owners would take action in the US, that could result in loss of a peering connection.

Also don't forget that records of Internet access can be stored for a long time. It could be 2 - 5 years before any action is taken.

When a copyright holder takes action in this country, you will read about it in the news papers. Generally they will take a handful of test cases in a particular country to discourage other downloaders.

Originally posted by impr0v
    I was using bt++ and got a call about two months ago from an embarrassed level 1 technician at esat/bt saying they had been called by universal studios about a film i was sharing at the time. "Please stop and uninstall bit torrent". He was able to quote the film name.

Advertisement