Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Classic Hold'em Situation...

• 24-06-2004 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Fitz €20 game last night. Was motoring along nicely and about 3 hands decided my result.
    Q7 spades in my hand, flop J108, one spade. Plenty of chips in the pot, inside straight draw, moderate bet into me. So I call. turn comes the 10 of spades. Guy bets and gets a caller, I also call thinking that I have outs...
    River comes the Ace of spades. I've made the 2nd nut flush. Guy first to act goes all in, is immediately called by the other guy. Its not a huge amount for me to call but if I lose it will be a hefty chunk, but then again the pot is massive.

I try to think of what they could have, the board is paired, chance of trips for definite, possibly full house, also Kx of spades keeps floating through my mind, the more I think about it the more I think the caller has it.

I fold, and immediately know its the wrong decision. Looking at the monster pot I should have called with *any* flush, including the 2nd nut flush :rolleyes:
    Sure enough one guy turns trip tens the other guy has 2 pair.

Blind continue to rise and I'm still one of the top 3 stacks at the table. A lady raises to 6000 on blinds of 500-1000, I flat-call with pocket tens, my stack is about 13000.
    The flop comes J73, two diamonds, and she goes all-in. I think for a bit, and don't think she has a jack. Her pre-flop raise was more an AK, or AQ type raise.
    I call her all-in, and sure enough she has AQ, of diamonds, giving her the nut flush draw as well as 2 overcards.
    Luckily enough she hit nothing and I was up to about 20000.

Down to the last 2 tables, 6 on ours, 5 on the other one. It was a case of people stealing blinds. There was some dodgy play, including when a short-stack was all-in, one guy in particular persisted in betting out instead of checking it down. In my opinion this is fine early on, in the rebuy period or just after the break, but when you're trying to get people knocked out to get one step nearer the money you should really check it down. Vivian was not a happy bunny as he folded and would have won and knocked out a player had he been let check it down.

Anyway, the UTG player raises to 6000 on blinds of 1500-3000, I have about 12000 and have pocket sevens. I reraise all-in, its folded around to UTG who thinks for a few seconds then calls, obviously he hasn't a high pocket pair.
    I turn over my sevens, he turns over KQo. A classic hold'em situation!
    Flop came all rags...
    Turn comes a rag...
    River comes a fecking Queen.....

Its the second time I've been nailed on the river when almost at the final table. Hurts more than any early tournament bad beats. Especially when I though I had been playing fairly well all night.

Well done to DapperGent who got his first money finish last night!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Can't believe you folded a Q high flush - especially taking your tag into consideration

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Also couldnt believe you folded that flush, or any flush really.

Well done dapper on your win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

When you learn to fold great hands you will win in the long run. It's just unfortunate you had them beat this time, just don't let it get to your head and always call with that kinda situation.

More poker dreams last night. Their pretty cool.

*edit your post to say "river" queen*:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I fucking love poker!

I had about 30k starting the final table and got such god awful cards that I didn't play a hand for nearly an hour, best I got was K4 under the gun, was mightly pissed off altogether. The only good thing was that people were getting knocked out all over the place. I was down to 9k and in the small blind with blinds at 4000-8000 when I played my first hand (Q4) having found 72o in the big blind in front of a raise and a reraise. Doubled through then with Queen high and found Aces at just the right time a few hands later to get me back to medium stack. Starting hitting some cards then and was bullying like a mad thing with them.

Up to about 120,000 when the three others left asked about a deal, I was chip leader by a good bit but the blinds were just going 10K-20K. I tried to hold out for a sweeter bit of the deal but they told me to feck off, I was so exhausted basic mental arithmetic was begining to defeat me and it was pushing 4am. If it had been 9pm I would have played on but €900 and my bed sounded too sweet to pass up, I couldn't tell which I wanted more.

I was up at 8am this morning. I'm tired but happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

well done on the win, terrible night for me on a tough opening table upstairs a nut flush would have been a great fold at that table my straight walked into a house when the board paired on the river and DeVs nut flush walked into Paddy Hicks(?) house when he slowplayed KK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

Nice win Dapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Can't believe you folded a Q high flush - especially taking your tag into consideration
    Hyzepher
    Yeah, I know... I just had a sudden fear of Kx spades, and I put the caller of the all-in on it. If he had a K then he would have had an open ender straight draw as well as the nut flush draw when the spade came on the turn.

Even if he had it I should have called, the pot was huge.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

played Dapper! Hard Luck Luke.
    All I'm going to say is that it was a night of cards to forget! That table upstairs was savage Bohsman, there was Norman, Donnacha, Vivian and Paddy (slow playing, river hittin' little fecker :) ) and that bloke two to my right who cracked my 88's with Q10 early on.

I did something I dont normally do too, I played 15 euros worth of Blackjack and won 50 so it took the sting out of an otherwise ugly night.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nice one Dapper, good to 'meet' you last night. The monster pot from our table early on helped for sure!

Motored through two early rebuys (one first hand) to end up in reasonable shape at 6800 after the top up at which point my cards disappeared. A couple of expensive flops seen bought me down to around 4000 in chips with the blinds at 300/600. Time for a move sooner rather than later. I asked Marq for an Ace which he nicely dealt me on the button - this piece of psychic power put me on tilt (hmmm must be an OMEN...etc) and as the table folded around to me I heard myself say All in. Mmmm, blinds...

I'm called by SB who turns over TT. Me, I show A6o. Bye bye all.

Kicked myself, played roulette, doubled through and got greedy and lost it again.

Went home still buzzed, played a cash game online, got dealt AA first hand and doubled my stack , then it was like KA every other hand for 15 minutes and turned $25 into $125...so not too bad a night as it turned out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Originally posted by MadsL
    I asked Marq for an Ace which he nicely dealt me on the button

A lesson to all of you, be careful what you wish for...
    and MadsL, I'm afraid I'll have to charge you for the next one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Make it two and I'll toke you a tenner... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Make it two and I'll toke you a tenner... ;)

Now taking advance payments for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Nice one Dapper, good to 'meet' you last night. The monster pot from our table early on helped for sure!
    Actually I managed to piss all that away. I was all in on pocket nines for 3k and was lucky enough to get tripled through. It was just a little before they made the final two tables and did not as they say look back.

It was nice to win but I'm reminding myself that I did need that bit of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

you always need a bit of luck!

Advertisement