Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Grass Sods

Options
  • 24-06-2004 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I am getting some rolls of lawn from my parents house and will be laying the grass at the weekend. Does anyone know what I have to do to the soil to prepare it for the new lawn. I have heard things about putting sand/compost down but I dont have a clue really. The ground has been cleared and is bare soil at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cionn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I helped a friend lay turf in his garden about 4-6 weeks ago and as it happens I was actually down with him last night and his lawn looks the business.

As far as preparing the ground I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a particulary bad soil, but if there was grass growing there before hand or even if the neighbours garden looks ok it'd be fine.

What we done was as follows.

1. Dug the back garden getting rid off all the weeds and big stones. Make sure that when you're digging that you go down as deep as the prongs on the forks turning the soil as you go.

2. Once the garden is dug, rake all the big stones from the top.

3. Walk over the soil compacting the soil and rake any uneven parts. We used some compost to make up the difference in certain uneven parts, but afaik you don't have to use compost. (We just happened to have a bag of the stuff lying about)

4. When laying the turf make sure that you stagger the joints, i.e. like the way bricks are laid. (Sorry if that sounds like stating the obvious but you'd be surprised how many people make that mistake).
    Use a long kitchen knife for cutting the turf to size.

5. ***THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART**** Once the turf is laid, water the fúck out of it. YOU CANNOT WATER IT TOO MUCH.

Ideally you should be laying the turf around March because the weather wouldn't be as hot (supposedly! :rolleyes: ) But that's not possible now, so make sure that you really water it enough.

Sorry if I've left anything out, but just ask if you have any questions.

B.

P.S. Did I mention that you have to water it a lot?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

so if I am reading this correctly its pretty straight forward. I have already picked up the big stones and turned most of the soil with a fork so I should be all systems go no. You said something about watering the grass this would be important right ?

Cheers mate for that and rest assured I will water the f**k out of it, failing that I will get the other half out to do it at 3am 5am and 7am just to keep her occupied.

Thanks again, Saturday is now booked up.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Cionn
    so if I am reading this correctly its pretty straight forward.

Yeah it is if you are anyway DIY minded and have a bit of cop on.
    turned most of the soil with a fork

"most of the soil"???? You will have to turn ALL of the soil. You can't just put it straight onto grass or onto soil that is too compacted. The reason for this is that the new turf needs to able to take root to the old soil and for aeration and drainage.
    rest assured I will water the f**k out of it

Good to hear it. The reason for watering it so much is because if the sod gets too dry it starts to shrink and gaps start to appear between the joins and then obviously the turf will eventually die. Also, the heavy watering helps the roots attach into the underlying soil.
    I will get the other half out to do it at 3am 5am and 7am just to keep her occupied.

LOL. You don't have to be that cruel, well unless you have a sadistic streak in you!! You will get away with watering it in the morning, in the afternoon and late in the evening.

Gluck on Saturday and let us know how you got on.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Cionn
    Cheers mate for that and rest assured I will water the f**k out of it, failing that I will get the other half out to do it at 3am 5am and 7am just to keep her occupied.
    Just tie it in with the baby feeding sessions. :D

Make sure it's level.

Advertisement