Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Shannon residents angered by security for Bush visit

Options
  • 24-06-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/06/24/story153942.html

I'm sorry, but this is way over the top. Security at this level is never applied for any other foreign politician, so why should GWB get it? If he insists on it, he should be told not to bother coming.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

especially as some of the passes have yellow stars on them...its some sort of US Secret Service code .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 murt

I agree. The majority of people in the state don't want him there and imposing these security measures is just going to aggravate the situation. Are there plans for a protest march in Dublin or elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

7pm at Parnell Square in Dublin on Friday. March to Govt Buildings.

9-10am Assemble Dromoland Castle, Co Clare, followed by a march to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Nice to see Irish citizens being made captive in their own towns. This is too much. Why should these people in that town suffer because a profoundly idiotic unwelcome individual is visiting?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

apparently they wanted to close the entire town centre of shannon (well basically it's a shopping centre) for the duration of his stay, nobody in nobody out.

They've closed major roads between Ennis and Shannon, all traffic travelling from Limerick to Shannon or Ennis have to go along the backroads. This is too much, really it is.

And then there's the people who need to use the airport, who work there or who need flights in and out, my girlfriend works there, plus another mate of mine I used to work with- both have to be there @ 3am just to make sure they get inside. Not to mention those who need to catch flights.

This is boll0cks, absolute b0llocks!

I say the country as a whole, if we can't sue gw, should sue bertie for the insult and inconvienience caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dead serious question here:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/06/25/story154155.html

On what grounds can they arrest and detain these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 murt

I wish I could be there so I could go and protest.

someone wave a flag for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Muck
    especially as some of the passes have yellow stars on them...its some sort of US Secret Service code .

M

The yellow stars they are supposed to sew onto their jacket fronts.

Advertisement