Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Gas Hob

• 24-06-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Alright... I've just moved into a new house and we're installing a gas hob and an electric oven.

Now the gas pipe is there for the hob, and then there's a (what I think is called!?) a 4 sq cable for the electric oven.

On the gas hob there's also a standard cable which would plug into a plug socket, but I can't find a plug socket behind the units or anywhere relatively near the cooker units. Anyone know how this would be installed? Can you split the 4 sq cable or what?

Sorry for my laymans terms or not even... but I reckon you know what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

This sounds very similar to something which happened when we moved into our new house.

Like you we had the gas pipe for the hob and what we thought was the cable for the electric oven. So we got the gas/plumber guy to install the hob and then I asked where would the standard cable from the hob go to if the other cable was for the oven? To our amazement he said that it wasn't an oven cable but a standard cable (it looked big) and that there hadn't been an oven cable installed!!

2 days previously we had gotten the keys to the house from the foreman and during our chat we confirmed with him that a cable was there for an electric oven, so we went and spent €600+ on a lovely new electric oven. When we contacted him about the lack of oven cable he told us that the electrician on site would install one for €200(even though it was supposed to be standard on the house - even the next door neighbours had one!). After lots of arguing with him I eventually agreed with him to pay €150 for it to be installed as we badly needed an oven to cook. However, I had no intention of ever paying the money since it should have been standard on the house.

The cable got installed and the electrician never asked for money and the foreman never came knocking for it either...

Moral of the story, if you are missing one of the cables and your neighbour has the same cable installed, don't let them charge you for something that they forgot to put in.

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Thanks for the reply. Any electrician type people out there shed any more light?

Don't worry, there's no way I'm paying the shower of gits anything more than I've already dished out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,447 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The "standard cable" is likely to be for the lighter for the gas hob. The oven cable will be something like 63 amp (compared to 13 amp for most sockets and 3 amp for many appliances), so you can't take power off it directly, but I'm sure an electrician should be able to split the oven cable and fit it with a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

similar situation here, although when we bought our house the gas hob and electric oven where included in the price.

Of course we did not relise until we opened up the door to find our shiny new kitchen with large holes for equipment and large boxes with the hob, cooker, fridge, washing machine, and dishwasher taking up most fo the floor. :) that was fun.

Anyway set up most of it myself, and the hob had the same type of cable as the oven for the ignition so a spark on site wirde that for me and had to pay a gas installed 150 euro to hook up the gas hob and gas fire in the sitting room scouldn't believe it the guy & apprentice was in the house for about 20 minutes and had it all done.

dont' you love this country that when things are included with your house but not set up, IMHO if you get electrical or gas equipment with your house it should be already installed and set up for you.

just on a side not, the fridge freezer did not work, it had never been charged with the refrigerent gas, and it took two fridges and a week of phone calls to get it sorted but that, is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Normally what you will have is your switch on the wall for your oven/hob.

Out of this will come 2 cables (6mm sq twin & earth). One for the cooker, one for the electric hob.

If you go for the gas hob, they have the cable on them which is for the pilot light. Nice to use it but not essential. You can use a lighter if you want. But if you want it used, of course you can connect the cable, which would be smaller from the gas hob, to the 6mm sq that was supposed to be for the power to the electric hob. If you decide not to use the 6mm sq going to the hob, make sure it is either insultaed off at the open end with some tape or disconnected at the back of the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Bootz

Hi
    Does anyone know if you can connect a counter top gas hob to bottle gas facility? Or does it have to be a mains supply?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bootz wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know if you can connect a counter top gas hob to bottle gas facility? Or does it have to be a mains supply?
    Thanks in advance.
    Most good hobs can be changed to run on either form of gas Mains or Propane/Butane.
    You need to change the jets for the type of gas you use Mains or Bottled.
    Easy to do but you have to have the jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Most good hobs can be changed to run on either form of gas Mains or Propane/Butane.
    You need to change the jets for the type of gas you use Mains or Bottled.
    Easy to do but you have to have the jets.

What's the difference in the jets? - just curious ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The size of the hole in them. :D

Natural gas and butane/propane have different calorific values so you need larger jets with the gas that has the lower calorific value. Can't remember which is which though.

You can take the plug off the hob cable and using a junction box take power off the 4 square cable. If you know what you are doing.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Natural gas jets are bigger than butane jets. Usually (though not always) the jets come in the box with the hob. Sometimes they're already converted (usually have LPG stickers on the box), for stores that are nowhere near natural gas. Otherwise, you'd have to order the jets off an appliance spares shop or from the supplier.

If you use butane gas on a hob with NG jets, you'll have a massive dirty flame that'll blacken your pots and pans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Just a heads up..
    Gas hobs are now meant to be installed by a RGI only. If the house happens to blow up cos of the hob and it wasn't installed by an RGI, you more than likely won't be covered by your insurance.
    Not sure how long this has been in force, but i was only informed of it a couple of months back.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Just a heads up..
    Gas hobs are now meant to be installed by a RGI only. If the house happens to blow up cos of the hob and it wasn't installed by an RGI, you more than likely won't be covered by your insurance.
    Not sure how long this has been in force, but i was only informed of it a couple of months back.
    Yes, very much so. Something I meant to mention in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just a heads up..

I like this rule..... If your house blows up and you payed cash with a receipt received how do you prove it was an rgi...;)

Golden rule... if you smell gas......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I like this rule..... If your house blows up and you payed cash with a receipt received how do you prove it was an rgi...;)

Golden rule... if you smell gas......

Presumably(but i could be wrong as i don't install gas:)) they give you a copy of a comformance cert. With either themselves or the RGI having another copy...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Presumably(but i could be wrong as i don't install gas:)) they give you a copy of a comformance cert. With either themselves or the RGI having another copy...
    Yes a cert is provided[cert 3] and there RGI installer should be visable .Anyone needing a RGI installer should contact Board Gais and they usually give out the details of a contractor in your area,im a registered installer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Yes a cert is provided[cert 3] and there RGI installer should be visable .Anyone needing a RGI installer should contact Board Gais and they usually give out the details of a contractor in your area,im a registered installer :rolleyes:
    Sorry RGI installer ID card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats right. i forgot that.... I am a muppet....

for those looking for a rgi installer.

www.rgii.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Victor wrote: »
    The "standard cable" is likely to be for the lighter for the gas hob. The oven cable will be something like 63 amp (compared to 13 amp for most sockets and 3 amp for many appliances), so you can't take power off it directly, but I'm sure an electrician should be able to split the oven cable and fit it with a fuse.

The older style sockets had the one six square cable coming into it for the oven & Cooker, and also had a socket built in to it. Now, while you can get these sockets still, they shouldn't be used because there is no ELCB on your socket then.

The terminals on the gas hob should be heavy enough to accommodate the 6 square going into it.
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If you decide not to use the 6mm sq going to the hob, make sure it is either insultaed off at the open end with some tape or disconnected at the back of the switch.

Seriously, don't just tape off live terminals like that and leave them there. At least blank them in a junction box for safety. Insulating tape will degrade with time / age / heat and soon become useless. Dangerous thing to do imo

Advertisement