Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

startup disk

Options
  • 24-06-2004 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My PC is fed up, and I need to format it, but I forgot to create a bootdisk before everything went wrong :confused: . Can canyone tell me where to get a "worked" startup disk please? I tried bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm but they didn't work! (I have winxp and win2k on my system). Thanks a milllion!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

do you have original 2k/xp cd's?
    if so you won't need a bootdisk to format the drive.
    slap in the os cd and restart your computer, then just follow the instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

WinXp doesnt have one as such (it has 4) but any disk will get you to dos win98SE being about the best.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 timcraft.tk

No, I don't have the original 2k/xp cd's. But I have the win98SE.
    I tried to getin to all kind of different modes including DOS but I was not sucess. There was also a dead blue screen displaying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 timcraft.tk

help???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Win98 boot disk will get you to Dos regardless of the stae of the HD ,then you can look at the hd with fdisk or format it.

www.computerhope.net

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have a disk formatted in an NT/2k/xp computer (is gives an ntldr error if you try to start the PC from it) and you copy

Boot.ini (can vary from machine to machine)
    ntldr , ntdetect.com (newer versions work with older OS's)

on to the disk it should then attempt to start up the files on the PC.

If your drive was NTFS then you will not able to read it with a win9x or dos boot disk (unless you get ntfsdos from sysinternals) and even then it's read only - but should be enough to pull the three files above from your machine.

FDISK /STATUS to see what it thinks - NTFS = "non-dos partiton"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@kdjac

just a question to you,tried this one time myself to format a HD using win98se startup disc but it wouldnt because of the NTFS filing system...so i had to boot into dos using startup disc without cd support then i Debugged(typed command which is easily found using google) HD and then just did a clean format using Win98se startup disc....i know it prob the longway to do it but it worked.....or i just got 6 blank floppys and created 6 winxp pro startups using a program from bootdisc.com......

Advertisement