Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical progression

Options
  • 24-06-2004 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Since AngelWhore (I refuse to call him Karl Hungus), is getting a tad sick of the "whose your favourite" or "whats the best" kinda threads, I thought I would go one further and get a real discussion going.

Obviously anyone who posts here has some interest in the Rock/Metal scene, my question is how come?

What got you all interested in this genre of music, why not country and western? And why do you think you tastes have evolved - maturity or just looking for something different.

Since I asked I will go first.

Flashback to nearly 20 years ago, typical kid listening to pop crap on radio. Was hanging around some older kids and one day one of them handed me a copy of Metallica - Ride the Lightning), and I was hooked.

My family had always had a large heavy rock collection, from Sabbath to Deep Purple, well you get the idea.

Over the next near to 20 years I spent as much as I could on gathering a collection that suited my then musical tastes.

It started off with the "hardcore" stylings of Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, etc. Then moved into a reto mode of 70/80's hard rock. Another about turn and then into the more "extreme" bands like Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Massacre.

Now after these 20 years, the balance for me has been attained. While I will not stick to one genre of music nowadays (I do listen to a lot of others - except pop, yucky stuff) - the core of my music collection is a list between 1972 - 2002 of everything that would be classed as Hard Rock to heaviest kind of Heavy/Thrash/Death/InsertOtherKind of Metal.

So ppl how about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

There's been a thread like this already, it's not that far down.

As I said before, started on the Beatles, particularly liked Helter Skelter, started listening to Zeppelin in transition year because of a music project, then found "The Ace of Spades" and everything else was a natural progression.

I listen to pretty much everything, my music collection includes Iron Maiden, Mercury Rev, AC/DC, The Beatles, John Coltrane, Johnny Cash, Alison Krauss, Stiff Little Fingers, King Crimson, Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock right down as low as (don't laugh) The Corrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

My absolute earliest memory is of hearing my mum's Zappa and the Mothers record "Absolutely Free". I was always hugely interested in non-pop music after that, from the glam rock of the 70's to some of the more obscure 80's stuff (Talk Talk, Big Country), I couldn't stand 80's pop. My uncle also had a large record collection from the 60's so I was always hearing stuff like the Beatles, Stones, The Beach Boys, The Who and the Doors. When I went into second year new friend made a tape for me with some of Whitesnake's "1987" album and some Cinderella. I just really dug the harder music, so he loaned me some other stuff like Accept and Manowar's "Fighting The World". I thought Manowar were the greatest band ever. Shortly after that came news that Megadeth were playing.

So on the 10th of May 1988 I went to the Olympic Ballroom and saw Sanctuary and Megadeth who had just released "So Far, So Good... So What". That was the night I learned I was going to be a bass player too.

From Megadeth I found Metallica, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault and Slayer. I lived through the glory days of Thrash and the embryonic days of Death Metal.. I still remember the first time I hear "Open Casket" on the radio. That started my interest in Death. There was nothing like it at the time. I got big into the likes of Obituary and the other Florida bands. I was also getting into the likes of Watchtower and taking a keen interest in technical metal.

I was in the Top Hat when Kreator and 'Death' minus Chuck played. Kreator were fantastic but I was really upset that Chuck didn't play. The magazines at the time were saying Death was finished and Chuck would never record again. I was totally blown away when "Human" came out. I bought it and Atheist's "Unquestionable Presence" on the same day. They remain to this day two of my all time favourite albums. To fully understand the impact "Human" had, you really have to go back and listen to what was around at the time. Listen to the difference between it and "Spiritual Healing" - it was so much more brutal yet so much more technical at the same time. That and the Atheist album were just incredible. I still rate Death's gig in McGonagles on the Human tour as the greatest gig I've ever seen. I was just totally into the band and they crushed. They made the old songs sound so much heavier and the brief warm up Sean Reinert did before their set remains the most impressive bit of drumming I've ever seen. Then came the Cynic album.

After that my tastes expanded in all directions to jazz, indie, 70's rock, 60's pop, electronic etc but Metal has always remained my favourite, the music I always go back to. Like Ph3n0m, I collected all sorts of music and still do. These days I trawl e-bay picking up long lost classics. Just last week I picked up D.A.M. - Human Wreckage on CD at long long last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, I'm only 15 so I suppose I've got a while to go before I probably should be doing one of these threads but I started getting into rock/metal a few years ago when I realised it was the only genre in music that had any honesty or substance. I didn't really know where to start though as regards who I would like to listen to. That kind of started to develop when I started going back to my friend's house after school and we would just sit around and watch Kerrang and Scuzz. That way I started finding out about a lot of bands I'd never heard of and I started getting to know different bands and their styles and I started to buy their CD's as often as was possible (Not too often, I was more or less always broke) and from there my musical tastes kind of developed. I started listening to some heavier stuff, but I never really got into anything overly heavy. I still like all the light rock bands I used to like Less Than Jake and NOFX but I also like some heavier bands like Slayer and Deftones. It's still expanding though and I try to keep my mind open to everything. I have heard and liked bands like Dimmu Borgir and Killswitch Engage but I have never really gotten into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Never really listened to any music until I was about 14, maybe a wee bit of the radio in the car once or twice a week, but that was it, until I discovered the lovely world of the internet, where I hear In Flames being mentioned, my musical taste's kinda changed after that, went looking for bands of similar style, found myself Dark Tranquility very shortly. Them 2 bands have been the basis of my music taste's since, and are still rated as my favourite 2 bands. I have since discovered many other forms of metal, to the glorious battles of power metal sonata arctica and nightwish leading the way in this, to opeth giving me the 10 minute long piece's of art called Progressive Metal,Immortal with the downright hectic world of Black Metal, to some of the more aggressive death metal, with the likes of Morbid Angel. I have snippets of older rock aswell, with a good amount of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, and a good chunk of Meat Loaf. I also have a good colelctiong of Classical, ranging from Beethoven, to John Williams, and Tchaikovsky, with a bit of Salzburguer Kammerorchester there too. While my heart is still with melodic death, power metal would be a close second favourite for me, taking upa good chunk of my listening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

When I was about 6 or 7 I heard my dads records because he got his old record player fixed.But I never really got into it until I was 8 and I heard System of A Down's "System of A Down".My mates older brother was really into metal and he told me about pantera so I got CFH and the I was hooked so I kept listening and buying more stuff. And to this day Ive collected and listened and lived metal.
    Most of the stuff Im into today is Napalm Death,Abigor,At The Gates,Burzum,Agressor,Vader,Meshuggah,Zyklon,Mortiis,Einherjer,Amon Amarth,Malevolant Creation,Devourment,Marduk,Children Of Bodom,In Flames and of course Pantera but Im sure theres more to come after all Im only 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I started off on my big mystical magical rock journey when my dad used to go on long drives after work.
    We would whiz around Galway in his Commercial Opel Corsa and he'd pop in various Tapes like Fleetwood mac, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Byrds , The Who etc.

I only ever seemed to listen to these songs when with him on a journey or else when playing with his Stereo.

I started listening to more music when in School, I would download MP3s and then listen to em while typing and such.
    My tastes grew to include the likes of Korn, Nofx, SoaD, Mudveine,Faith No more. these were groups i'd listen to outside of the normal stuff like Chillis,NIN, Nirvana and various other grunge bands.

Today I'll listen to anything, and my mood will vary. Sometimes i want an agressive kind of vibe, others i want slow and melodic rock songs, with a hint of a love story.

The three bands i have always gone back to listening too were Nirvana,Pink Floyd and Thin Lizzy. the three best describe my overall taste in music tbh.

[Edit] O yeah, and i love the Stone Temple Pilots, never gave em a mention :D [/Edit]

Advertisement