Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curb Your Enthusiasm

• 24-06-2004 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

has anyone else started to watch this show?? the guy who used to produce/direct seinfeld is the main character..its sort of a comedy/ improv thingamajiggy.

i never was very fond of seinfeld but i think this show is hilarious ...larry is just so pathetic and socially inept....i havent laughed so much since alan partridge and when he was living in the hotel........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Aye - it's a good 'un, and it's not afraid to take risks....

No other show would centre an episode around a misprint where a 'dearly beloved aunt' became (due to a type) a 'dearly beloved c***'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i love this show

its on tonight "Thursday" 9.05 TG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

did anyone see the one about the french chef who had tourettes syndrome and cursed in english??? man i nearly punctured my lungs laughing.......

13.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great stuff. If you're only watching it now, you should know that tonight we're on Season 4 Episode 2. There's ten episodes a season, so you've missed thirty one so far (plus a pilot).
    The thing is, as inept as Larry David is, I find myself agreeing with him far too often. When he's asked to take a tour of the house, he just honestly says that it's fine because - like most us would be - he's not interested (we just wouldn't say it). Naturally that doesn't go too well and he has to make one of his endless apologies... And, much like the famous obituary, would any other show have such fun with Tourette's syndrome as they did in the S3 finale - I haven't heard so much 'effin' and blindin' in my life!
    Great stuff - don't miss.

unfortunately i have only 4 channels---rte 1 and 2 tv3 and tg4===tg4 is great it has all the obscure programs and also a lot of the good ones --that really grow on you after a while

yeah i really like his personality aswell-- hes the male version of me! often i find myself in the kind of situations he is in and i always end up embarrassing myself:p i imagine when i get to his age i will be a carbon copy!!

• Advertisement

hes the male version of me!

Right - in that case, m'dear, you should seek help!!! :p The character is a little more socially inept than George Costanza. And that's saying something...

weeelll i wouldnt say i am as bad as him.... but i do tend to get worked up about certain situations..and i tend to say what is on my mind.... which never really works to my advantage....

and i tend to say what is on my mind....

You're ignoring the Father Ted Platinum Rule ™ "Think of what you're going to say, don't say it, and run away fast in the opposite direction"

not so much a rule - more a design for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Yep, been watching this show for months now. Love it. One of my favourite moments happened just recently though. It was during the Tourette's shouting, when Larry's wife shouts "You fuckin' dirty bitch" and then Jeff's wife comes in and thinks she was shouting at her and shouts back "Fuck you, ya carwash cunt". You'd have to have seen the episode to know what it's about, but that whole scene almost had me in tears coupled with Larry thinking the chef was a Holocaust survivor only to find out he'd written his lotto numbers on his arm.

Great show!

EDIT: Just remembered the way his dad broke the news to him of his mother's death. Just greatness!

ya that was a really good episode!! but i have to admit i loved the part where he was stuck in the car wash with his wife after she had taken colon-cleansing tablets and she was about to burst!!! rotfl...yay !its on in about half an hour on tg4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

LOL, just started watching it on and off over the last few weeks, good one on tonight with Ben Stillers birthday party (2 weeks after his birthday), Larry stabbs him in the eye with a kabab scure he's been holding for half the show, deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I love Curb, seen all 3 seasons, The Doll is prob my fave brilliant stuff. Saw Ben's B-day so many good moments:
    The game of telephone " I like tits" LOL
    Cheryl's rant at Larry about being obsessed with tits after he catches him feeling up Richard Lewis's fake niece yowza! and he calls the mouse a tit mouse haha
    Susie getting miffed with Larry about not taking a interest in her shirts and then he gets pushed by Jeff to look at them up giving it to Michael, the blind guy.
    and Bens B-day where Larry accidentally hits him in the eye. Larry is in top form and season 4 is as good as ever IMO.
    When he tells the girl that its not really Stiller's B-day is identical to something George would say in Seinfeld.

Best eps:

Season 1: Beloved Aunt, but The Group with the incest survivor group too was v good.

Season 2: The Doll, outstanding stuff, The Baptism was good too.

Season 3: Krayzee Eyez Killa side splittingly funny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

tis **** most of the time what an ejit bit like seinfeld

tis **** most of the time what an ejit bit like seinfeld

Zzzz....

Such insight, such clarity of thought, such precise expression. You'll be filling in for Tom Paulin on Newsnight if you continue like this, laddie...

you never know grumpy amercian comedy is just nonlaughable compared to irish/brittsh comedy suppose its a cult thing curb your enthusiasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

I like this show but it isn't a patch on Seinfeld. It just isn't very funny.

If anyone thinks David is some kind of infallible comic god, two words: Sour Grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    you never know grumpy amercian comedy is just nonlaughable compared to irish/brittsh comedy suppose its a cult thing curb your enthusiasm

You ever hear of punctuation? That sentence makes no sense what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I have to say I don't like this show and I hated seinfeld, I just can't see the appeal. And before anyone tries to claim that I don't get the jokes I can assure you that I do, each and every painfully dire one.

my 2c

Originally posted by Agent Orange
    I like this show but it isn't a patch on Seinfeld. It just isn't very funny.

If anyone thinks David is some kind of infallible comic god, two words: Sour Grapes.

For the first 7 years Jer even admitted that 90% of the show came from Larry, Curb is more darker than Sein but both different shows though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Raoul Duke
    You ever hear of punctuation? That sentence makes no sense what so ever.

sorry! are you an english teacher? by the way im Dyslexic cant all be perfect.

The Blind Date was good stuff.

Stiller was such a baby he dodn't have to bleat on about David sitting in the back
    His only complaint to Mel Brooks and co was something so trivial like toilet papaer hehe.
    In the restaurant with habus and the mentally challenged workers lol.
    The fantasy sequence at the end with Katie Haufman and then Susie appears LOL.

Didn't Cheryl look good in the I dream of Jeannie costume? and Jeff thought so too.

Larry:"She's quite a muslim"

The Weatherman was brilliant, LD not wanting the needle as it would ruin his shirt hehe. Fighting with The Russians because he wouldn't let them try on his glasses, I agree with LD on that one. I hate when people ask that.
    Before The Greenes dinner party I loved the line about people having a better conversation than himself.
    The argument at the golf course was sublime too.. "you're jet ****ting full of bull****":D

Again I sympathise too much with Larry - people should not ever try on glasses belonging to someone else :)
    I didn't think last nights was the the best episode but it still had its moments, many of which you mentioned. I also wait, anytime Susie is in it, for her to eventually end up yelling "Larry f**king David you stupid **** get the **** out of my house" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I was a Seinfeld fan but find Curb just as good in a different kind of way. I pulled down all of series 3 and 4 from Kazaa a few months back because I couldn't wait for them on TV. Our TG4 picture isn't so good and BBC4 hasn't decided whether to show seasons 3 and 4.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/curb/
    My favourite episode was "Trick or Treat" from season 2. Remember the Cobb salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by yellabelly
    I was a Seinfeld fan but find Curb just as good in a different kind of way. I pulled down all of series 3 and 4 from Kazaa a few months back because I couldn't wait for them on TV. Our TG4 picture isn't so good and BBC4 hasn't decided whether to show seasons 3 and 4.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/curb/
    My favourite episode was "Trick or Treat" from season 2. Remember the Cobb salad.

There is much on TG4. That Trick or treat programme was great.

CYE is probably the best thing on TV. It is a pity that he does not come here on tour.

It is a pity that the Killkeeny Festival does not attract comedians like Larry David.

The ending for Trick or Treat is so perfect.

some good lines:

Larry: you know we should have sex
    Shelly: Yea we should

Larry: I do hate hate myself but its got nothing to do with me being jewish

Larry: I can't, I promised I'd do something for Cheryl's B-day
    Jeff: So what, what is she 5 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good stuff.. I did not know TG4 were showing CYE. I got hooked on it when I saw every episode of season 2 back to back one night on BBC4. So I haven't seen any of season 3 or 4 yet... I really should venture down to the nether regions of my remote control more often..

You can get the first 2 seasons on DVD boxsets now. I have them both. The season 1 boxset also comes with the hour long special that inspired the series and lots of interviews as well.

The season 2 boxset has zilch!

I had a very Curb experience yesterday at Oxegen, the lock was broken on the toilet door so I had to hold on to the door, it was a little more difficult for Larry in The Doll ep as the bathroom was much bigger lol.
    Looking forward to The 5 Wood next week.

http://www.hbo.com/larrydavid/episode/season4/episode35.html

• Advertisement

i must get those dvds....... i joined in late so i need to catch up.

I have season 1 on DVD, I didn't get Season 2 as there's no extras, but I have every ep of Curb and Sein on tape. Did anyone notice that Larry's manager Jeff's speech is slighlty slurred? He had a stoke before Season 1.

the dentist guy in the weatherman epi speaks a bit strange too.

Yea a bit, he was Daphine's one time fiance in Frasier.

aah yes i remember that. alas frasier is no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Krayzee Eyez Killa - best episode that Ive seen.

"I'm your caucasian"

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Morgans
    Krayzee Eyez Killa - best episode that Ive seen.

"I'm your caucasian"
    I just loved Larry's thoughtful appreciative nods when Krayzee Eyez was telling him the lyrics to his new song and then Larry's constructive criticism - all delivered without a crack of a smile whilst I was breaking my sides with laughter.

He says no to the house tour from Susie but does he say no to Krayzee Eyes? not at all.;)

Good news there's deffo going to be another season, I'll post the 2 articles when I can open up my hotmail which isn't working now!

Dammit, it was an old article. I hope there will be a season 5 though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can I just say that season 4 was a sham?
    If you look deep into your soul, you will know it too.

• Advertisement

The 5-Wood was outstanding. I loved when Jeff pointed out to to Larry that he was acting gay, David was unbelievable at the funeral asking for the weathermans tip, and then changing the golf club. The Good Hodgekins stuff was also v funny.
    Being bitten in the penis by Oscar, I LMAO at that scene. Cheryl thought he got a boner from the dog the week before. LOL
    Larry and Cheryl were acting so normal with the country club people.
    "I'm more gentile than you"!

Its up there with the all time classics.

Pickarooney, you're being too picky, season 4 is as good as any other season better than season 3 in fact. I will mantain season 2 is the best

saw it tonight ,it was hilarious, the pistachio nuts lol!!!! even my mum laughed and that in itself is an achievement!!!

Was it cruel to laugh when Larry nonchalantly says, "I wish you could see this" about his dancing :p
    David Schwimmer was fun here - far more toned down than as Ross (well he's playing himself) .. it's always fun to see how David just winds everyone up around him and they're almost biting their lip to say something back to his obnoxious, if generally well intentioned, comments.
    I'm surprised Suzie didn't hug Oscar after that accident - I bet she's secretly very proud (or trained him....).

its just so funny because everything he does is what people would say if they had a chance..just shows how ''structured'' social interaction has become, you can only say this ,cant say that,blah blah.

its like when you are in a queue for shopping and you just wonder, what would happen if i scream insanely at the top of my voice......i get strange urges to do that sometimes.....just to upset things and the whole banality of it all.

did anyone read about that guy that had been raised by chickens??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

Originally posted by smuckers
    The 5-Wood was outstanding.

Cant believe I missed this previous shows, caught my first episode last night (5 wood) and laughed my ass off, my mate has every episode on disc so i think a fair bit of curb-watching this weekend !!

hmm curb watching, sounds seedy!!

You can just imagine Kramer walking around with The 5 iron in his pants.

Susie: you're f***** narcisists

Larry: we like to sail alot
    Cheryl: Yes we sail as a pair.

Sucking up big time to The Country Club people.:)

its hard to believe that there are such uppity places like that around..larry almost did over-egg the pudding with his attempts at fitting into their usual member-type.....and all the fault of a cashew nut......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I know smuckers will know the episode but one scene where I was splitting myself laughing was when Larry and Jeff were driving in Jeff's can and they had the conversation

I knew you were going to say that?
    Well I knew you were going to say that

went on for a while. Brilliant. It is perfectly timed to mix the awkward nature of the conversation and the humour. Thats where it differs from Seinfeld. Where in Seinfeld they often used the awkward nature of varying social situations to display humour - last night Jerry wouldnt leave a man into the apartment because he didnt recognise him, turned out to be his neighbour. IN CYE its the awkward situation itself where the humour is.

If I'm not mistaken Morgans in that ep is The Grand Opening season 3 finale. Steve the choerographer thinks LD is gay and told The doctor Anthony hehe.:)

I love the way Susie calls Jeff Jeffrey,

You didn't know Jeffrey, you f****** idiot.

Anyone wanna predict who Larry is going to get iff off with? At the moment its either The dentists assistant, or Katie Haufman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement