Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow as a snail!

Options
  • 24-06-2004 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hey i was wondering if any1 knew why my pc crawls to a snail's pace when i start downloading a file? Anything like BitTorrent and stuff like that, KaZaa etc, and the pc practically stops. Any even though i'ts only goin at 8kb/s or so, my ping is super high when i try to play games, even with broadband!

Can u help?

I have Athlon +1900, 512 DDR RAM, XP home, gforce ti300

Thanks

Ro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

sounds like it's application specific....don't forget that they install stuff that they don't tell you abhout.

Right click on the taskbar, select TaskManager and in there click on the processes tab.

Look fo ra program that's hogging your CPU with a high percentage of CPU utilisation.

That'll tell you what's slowing your PC down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm bit torrent absolutely knackers my connection when i use it for anything, pings go through the roof, and just web browsing is manage able.

what client are you using. if its completely hogging all your upload that doesn't help either. try a client that can limit you upload

data

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't bother even trying to play games if you're downloading on the same connection. It'll just make your pings utter ****. (Downloading still uses some of your upload capacity in the form of TCP acknowledgements etc, and games need to make heavy use of your upstream connection.

Advertisement