Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean install or upgrade?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

From experience only: upgrading always seems to lead to an unstable system. Backing up my stuff and doing a clean install is usually better.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I'd go with nuking the OS as well. I've never had anything but trouble with 'upgrades' - incompatible drivers, etc etc. Bad enough on a home machine, but trouble on a work machine after an upgrade is going to cost you money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I agree with you guys as well....an upgrade always introduces some element of ramdomness in stability!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    ramdomness in stability

lol I must remember that one.

Yeah, that's one way of describing it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

upgrading means inheriting problems.

NB. it is well nigh impossible to rollback from an upgrade to the previous system - so don't let that option sway you.

[review your licenses before reading further - terms and conditions apply]

Best is dual boot - choose to install the OS in a different folder. - You will have to reinstall ALL apps again. ( used to love the way windows 3.x could find apps and you'd be fairly sure they would work - but that's progress )

one trick on older versions on office was to copy the CD to a folder and then run setup from there and choose the option to from CD (the folder on the HDD)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

we try to avoid upgrades aswell with the servers if their small networks... upgrading usually means you just upgrade the problems

Advertisement