Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloys and insurance

Options
  • 24-06-2004 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Am eventually going to buy a 1.4 car...not sure which one yet
    focus, civic, astra - the usual ,anyway was wondering if I was insured with
    Quinn direct and I decided to fit the following without telling them would I still
    be insured as they are removable:

Tinting film 4 windows (except windscreen of course!)
    17" alloy wheels
    spoiler
    Maybe a sports exhaust

I prob have to declare the exhaust cos its an engine mod but what about the rest?
    I know they'll insure me if i declare them and add their value but that means higher premium....I don't mind risking them if they're undeclared and the car is nicked...I understand that if the're undeclared I can't claim for them....

so my question is am i still insured with regards to the car (ignoring the mods...can risk those)if I don't declare the mods on my premium

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by daggeredge
    Am eventually going to buy a 1.4 car...not sure which one yet
    focus, civic, astra - the usual ,anyway was wondering if I was insured with
    Quinn direct and I decided to fit the following without telling them would I still
    be insured as they are removable:

Tinting film 4 windows (except windscreen of course!)
    17" alloy wheels
    spoiler
    Maybe a sports exhaust

I prob have to declare the exhaust cos its an engine mod but what about the rest?
    I know they'll insure me if i declare them and add their value but that means higher premium....I don't mind risking them if they're undeclared and the car is nicked...I understand that if the're undeclared I can't claim for them....

so my question is am i still insured with regards to the car (ignoring the mods...can risk those)if I don't declare the mods on my premium
    With the exception of the tinted windows, you will have to inform the company if you install any of the others, and you want fully comprehensive insurance. If the car isn't designed for 17" alloy wheels, they probably won't insure you, because you're too much of a risk.

You need to understand that insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying out. So if you have fully comp and you crash, the assesor may see the spoiler and decide that this isn't the car you specified and that they need not pay out, or he may decide that you never declared the spoiler but they will pay for the rest of the car.
    That's the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

You don't have to inform QD about any of those mods....their not understood inside QD to be actual engine mods...even if you did get a full exhaust kit and added another few bhp to the car, it would be viewed as an ordinary exhaust.

They paid out last week for a '02 pug 206 with a full kit €18,750. Nothing was declared on it he just had it covered fully comp for more than it was worth.

Farlz

End of the day unless you insure the car as a 1.4 and its really a 2.0 under the bonnet their not gonna worry too much....its just the extreme cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Just had a chat with one of the lads i know in QD and he was tellin me there that they don't actually cover alloys or any mod's of any kind...for instance you ring in and tell them you got a full kit and alloys on your car and want it covered....they just say no can do.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I enquired about getting 17" alloys and after a long debate QD said that they couldnt cover me because of them, I think it would be a different story if I was looking for quote tho, my premium was already paid so Id say they knew they could get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

thanks 4 that guys! it seem that ins companies will try to get away with everythin these days trotter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I enquired about getting 17" alloys and after a long debate QD said that they couldnt cover me because of them, I think it would be a different story if I was looking for quote tho, my premium was already paid so Id say they knew they could get away with it.

Sorry to drag up an old thread(3 yrs),but the search function is useful :) Do you mean they won't include cover on the alloys or that they won't insure you? I am insured with them at the moment and have OEM Fiat 17"alloys on the car but its just insured as a Fiat Stilo, didn't ask anything about the Fiat accessories on it.

Will a sports backbox change premium much? I'm fully comp on a prov and 21yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

su_dios wrote:
    ..but the search function is useful :)
    ...jeez, I dunno, there are those who'd dispute that with ya..........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement