Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zalman cnps-7000a-alcu problom

Options
  • 24-06-2004 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=54&code=005009

according to the above site the hsf is compatiable with all socket 754 mobo's yet i have a ga-k8ns mobo and its got a outer plastic piece to which im guessing is to make the cpu cooler more stieder when in place
    but its in the way of the backplate for the hsf . could i just remove the plastic bit and keep the warrienty ? has anyone seen this motherboard and had the probloms i have ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

http://www.hexus.co.uk/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03NTEmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

This is a review where the GA-K8NS has the Zalman7000 cooler on it and ive seen a couple more people with this fitted.

Mabye if you could post a picture? Im not sure what exactly your talkin about......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

looking for camera atm .

http://img.hexus.net/v2/overclocking/nf3250/images/k8ns.jpg

there was one on that website so im using that . its pritty dark but u can see around the edge of the processor a plastic thing . thats what im on about

Well it looks like it pretty much has to come off...... And doesent look like its held on that well either. If its easy enough to clip off then it definetly wont void warenty. The other users must have had to do it anyway.

o er .. hmm
    right well i got that bit fixed . without problom .

but

i went into the bios to see what i could mess with and when i look at the cpu temp it was 66c :(

anyone know the average running temp for these processors ???

• Advertisement

There have been quite a few things about mis-reading temps with the new boards and "newcastle" core chips. Some people get readings in the 70's on idle.

Its a pretty common problem on the MSI's , and some other NF3 250 boards. I think a BIOS update should sort things out.

Average temp for these chips is round the 40'C mark....... but that varies from CPU to CPU and Mobo to Mobo.

[edit] PS which chip did you go for? the 3200+ 2.2ghz (newcastle core)?

atm in england just went paint balling with a load of mates from my cs clan . i now can barly walk .

but i think i did get that cpu . ill have a look to see if there is a bios update to fix the problom . as i almost cried when i saw 66c idel . but ya just never know .

once i get home ill chk what cpu i did get

i went to the gigabyte website and they dont have a new bios released yet .
    ive been looking at other k8 threads but they say that some mobo's dont show the correct temps ( well most mobo's )

for the moment its not looking good

Well sure theres not much to worry about then?

If the other boards are in the same boat it wont be long before a new bios comes out. Try a run of prime95 on it to see if its stable... if it is, just use it away and pop the new bios on when it comes out.

so far nothing no word back both from the gigabyte website and ocuk forums . pants

ive installed a os onto the computer and will be testing it later today with prime 95 once i get everything else working in this stupid room ( bloody power cuts )

• Advertisement

lol, well sure let us know how you get on. Tis a very nice system, once you have everything installed ok i would ignore the temp for the min, especially if its prime95 stable (watch to make sure BIOS doesent cut it off if temps rise a little - ie its not a prime95 error / stability error , its just the BIOS getting wrong readings).

having never run prime 95 ill just ask here

ive done the benchmark twice and it done it fine
    now doing the torture test ( the one that has bits of everything )

how long should this take ???

generally it will run until you stop it. If you run it for 2 hours you can pretty much take it your system is perfectly stable from a CPU/RAM side of things.........

Thats the test to do btw!!

right so alls looking good then .

Well yea it is. Generally you will hear .........

Ohh but prime95 should be ran for 24hours to ensure its stable - This is only to test the different conditions, ie its colder at night and might cause your system to fail etc etc.

Generally to fully test an overclock 8hours is recomended, very very few fail after 8hours.

With a stock system (like yours, non-overclocked) its almost a given that it should be stable. The 2hours will root out any problems due to bad memory or CPU etc.......... if it runs for 2-3hours then its perfect for general use.

Ive used a PC for 2 weeks doing everything on it without a problem, ran prime95 and it failed after 2mins.......... its a good test!!

right well ive e-mailed zalman and gigabyte about the problom . zalman told me to reseat the cpu . gigabyte said its prob not a good hsf

in all im going to take it that both companies are correct for the moment . anyone know anywhere in dublin that is selling good hsf's for the a64 and ill go collect one on monday

The Zalman7000 is one of the best heatsinks for the AMD64, its FAR better than the stock one so this shouldnt be your problem. Have a look at this thread , you have to watch as some people are using clawhammer cores other newcastle.

Alot of the boards are giving mad temps with the newcastle and usually a BIOS update fixes it although gigabyte dont have one out for this yet.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1316125&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
    With F1 and F2b BIOS I get around 62c idle and up to 70c under load. I also emailed tech support and got BIOS rev. F2d and it showed significantly less temp readings in BIOS. I too could not get the Easytune tabs to come up with F2d, etc..... I did download a 3rd party program to read the temps with the F2d BIOS in windows (since easytune4 wouldnt pop up the tab to show them) and it still had an awfully high temp reading on one of the sensors, which seemed to be the same sensor as the CPU temp sensor. What revision bios did they give you MrSamson420?
    CPU and case temp reading are too high - for me CPU is 60-64C - same setup on K8N (without S) gives me 30C

ye maby . any idswhere i could get a device to monitor the temp inf red device or the likes ?

There is an infared gun that measures temps but its too expensive to warent it really.

Try running prime95 for say an hour. Shut down and un-plug your PC. Touch the heatsink very carefully . If its hot then its doing its job, 70'C load would mean it would be roasting.

If the heatsink is set correctly, its doing its job (ie its getting hot) then its either the motherboard mis-reading the temps or you have a very bad chip.
    The reason i think its the board is because its a known issue with some boards already when dealing with the newcastle core, the fact that its prime95 tested means the chip is stable and i seriously doubt the chip would be at those temps listed....... it would give errors or reboot the machine.

Check the heatsink, mabye e-mail gigabyte again and stating that its a newcastle core, its an excellent heatsink (far better than stock one) , its been re-set , its stable, you have heard this is an issue with the board.
    Also mabye ask for the newer BIOS as the guy i quoted above did?

I understand that your very worried as its an expensive chip and that you have to be sure.

they released a bios on friday/saturday ill try that out

• Advertisement

Col_Loki thx

thanks for the advice over the 2 posts . updated bios temps now a happy 36c

lol, good to hear thats sorted out for you!!

Happy gaming, should be a very sweet setup.

Advertisement