Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiki's

Options
  • 24-06-2004 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

hi there
    have a look around at wikis but i dunnoi havn't added to one cos i've never ahd reason to so i don't really know how to set one up....

so like you have wikipeadia.... right cool i think the idea is that anyone can add to so it endlessly updates itself and is very broad but what if someone comes in and puts in wrong info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Nothing. But Wiki communities are usually very quick to pounce on that sort of thing and revert to older revisions of the affected page.

There has been a huge spam problem recently on wikis, that seems to be growing. It came into the limelight after some SEO scum in the Nigritude Ultramarine competition started spamming Sandboxes. A lot of SEO scum are doing it now though. MeatBall wiki and a few others seem to have a security mechanism for this involving blacklisting IPs. Some wikis now require you to register and login, and this will probably become more commonplace if the spamming continues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.tinyted.net/eddie/wiki/
    basic wiki server for windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

thanks for the link

the page im making/using is http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/PaulCummins
    so there already a nice setup there...

still seems quite limited in design ..wondering how to put border round my images,(i normally avoid borders but you see those two at the top look bad with all the white )

ps most of the TextFormattingRules page im following are written in html?
    and im trying to follow wiki GoodStlye??

well the main plus with wikis is that many people can edit the page etc

is there such a thing as a visual wiki....

where one could but up a picture and someone else could add to that but also edit layers of the picture....

you know i image same a map of ireland which each of the counties in different colors and on different (photoshop-esque) layers and some one could go and edit each layer and put it back together?

oh i guess thats what lotus notes and program like that are .. never used em though em

Advertisement