Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem installing service packs..

Options
  • 24-06-2004 10:15pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

trying to install service pack 3 or 4 and keep getting this error..
    the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use by another application
    close all other applications then click retry

ain't got a clue what it is.. and can't install service packs.. and other programs refuse to install with out them..
    any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

if you told us what you were trying to apply the service pack to, we might be able to help :)

(I'm guessing NT?)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

why NT, i would of guessed 2k but anyways quik gogle found this on computing.net but its for XP

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

sorry, yea its w2k

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

atapi.sys is the driver for standard CD-ROM drives.

Have you any apps open that use the CD drivers? For example, have you got the nero system tray icon running?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by jabberwock
    why NT, i would of guessed 2k but anyways quik gogle found this on computing.net but its for XP

excellant,
    daemon was about the 3rd thing i downloaded and installed after the format cause i had saved a few iso's i wanted to install off saved on my drive
    thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

no problem

i do the same, install everything with Daemon tools with the iso's over my network.

Just another quick question..
    itsd firefox/mozilla related
    when i want to download files, I can't seem to "open the file with "
    box does be blank, so I have to download & save .exe's, can't seem to run them when i lcik on them..
    any ideaS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Are you sure there are no extensions being applied to .exe files?

But what what program would I use to open use .exe in the browse selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Are the files downloaded to the hard disk, or is it before they d/l that your getting the problerms?
    Case 1: Find the file on the hard disk and rename it, making sure you have the "hide known extensions" box unticked. Thats in tolls/folder options/view.
    Case 2:
    Just mess around with the options for d/ls in firefox. Remove .exe from the 'open these filetypes' jobbie.

Not exactly clear what i've said, Fire back more questions if that doesn't cover it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement