Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush Interview on PrimeTime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I didn't see the interview but from reading the transcript I think Carole Coleman did a damn good job for someone working at a state broadcaster, she let him walk over her a little too much for my liking in that she didn't respond to any of his "let me answer the question" with an "I will when you do answer it" as Jeremy Paxman would have done but otherwise, she was quite good, hit at most bases of his failings on the international front and generally made him realise he wasn't as welcome as he might have imagined he was in the "ould country".

The thought of Bush being forced to endure an interview with Paxman though, even with his earpiece has a comedic value similar to some of the finer moments of Blackadder.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Is it just me that thought that Caroline Coleman was actually too aggresive and wasn't even aggresive in the spirit of debate, it seemed as though she simply wanted to aggrivate a negative reastion from Bush to make herself look good?..I also think its is a disgrace that Bush be allowed to approve of the questions he asks and America needs to froce that issue..they use the excuse its because its a war time far too much especially considering the war is over granted the war on terror looks like it will never be over..Bush also needs to tell the Americans more, I don't care if he tells the whole of Europe to kiss his @ss but Americans deserve better and should be made totally aware of the current climate thay live in, its unacceptable to say they have heard chatter as proof of intelligence and Its time Bush stop avoiding the WMD scandal and either apologise or prove their existence beyond reasonable doubt and this is from me An Irish American who supports Bush and America and feels the war in Iraq was with good intentions and not for Oil as many people hope it is so their sick little bush bashing ego's can get a boost....And another thing its not enough to have that Blood for Oil Bill on a poster...You need proof like Bush needs for the WMD

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Magnolia_Fan
    I also think its is a disgrace that Bush be allowed to approve of the questions he asks
    I presume the last words are meant to be "is asked".

It is normal for all interviewees to be provided with the questions (or rather specific topics) beforehand. The follow-up questions need not necessarily be provided.

Also...a more correct re-inactment of the Bush interview

Coleman: Do you feel that Iraq can ever fully function as a Country?

Bush: Of Course, I think the Iraqi people are good people and they will lead their country.....

Coleman: BUT WHY ISN'T IT LIKE THAT NOW MR. PRESIDENT!!??

Bush: Excuse me, could you please let me finish..

Coleman is a boob there is no excuse for showing such poor manners, I watched a show tonight called Des Bishops work experience and he said something very true and interesting in contrast..something so simple too....In America people dump their trays off when they are finished at a fast food place, in Ireland they leave them and figure the staff are payed to do it. I work in a shop part time and it does make a big difference...just simple common curtesy like that the Irish rarely do that some don't even say please or thank you, when the American tourists come in they are always very nice and mannerly and some even give tips!..for filling petrol!!, an American guy gave me 10 euro for washing his rental car..I like The Irish by the way I don't mean to bash you..I also consider myself Irish having lived her the majority of my life but we could be alot more considerate here....plus he also showed that Ireland has a serious drink problem which we all know but it goes unchallenged, somethings gotta be done even if it means raising the drinking age or seomthing radical...but again that a different topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i saw in one of the rags that she had a fling with Charlie Bird, the thought :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Also...a more correct re-inactment of the Bush interview

Coleman: Do you feel that Iraq can ever fully function as a Country?

Bush: Of Course, I think the Iraqi people are good people and they will lead their country.....

Coleman: BUT WHY ISN'T IT LIKE THAT NOW MR. PRESIDENT!!??

Bush: Excuse me, could you please let me finish..

Coleman is a boob there is no excuse for showing such poor manners, I watched a show tonight called Des Bishops work experience and he said something very true and interesting in contrast..something so simple too....In America people dump their trays off when they are finished at a fast food place, in Ireland they leave them and figure the staff are payed to do it. I work in a shop part time and it does make a big difference...just simple common curtesy like that the Irish rarely do that some don't even say please or thank you, when the American tourists come in they are always very nice and mannerly and some even give tips!..for filling petrol!!, an American guy gave me 10 euro for washing his rental car..I like The Irish by the way I don't mean to bash you..I also consider myself Irish having lived her the majority of my life but we could be alot more considerate here....plus he also showed that Ireland has a serious drink problem which we all know but it goes unchallenged, somethings gotta be done even if it means raising the drinking age or seomthing radical...but again that a different topic

That's funny because every time I was in America (Boston, LA and Hawaii) I always thought it was rather rude that the locals didn't put away their trays in fast food restaurants. I don't think you can start pointing your finger at whole nations in this regard.

Also, about that big tip some American gave you; it strikes me that there is the mentality that money solves everything among some Americans.

To get back on topic, Coleman should have asked him some serious questions. Many, many people are dead as a result of this mans actions. People tend to lose sight of the gravity of the situation. Dead people, men, women and children. Children. Let it sink in there and now rethink how incredibly petty is is for you to think that Coleman was being rude to a retarded little hate-breeder.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Apologies for teh OT rant folks

Coleman is a boob there is no excuse for showing such poor manners, I watched a show tonight called Des Bishops work experience and he said something very true and interesting in contrast..something so simple too....In America people dump their trays off when they are finished at a fast food place, in Ireland they leave them and figure the staff are payed to do it.

TBH, that sounds like a pile of steaming romantisiscm. I could say "In america, everybody owns a 3 bedroom semi, drives a car and has a swimming pool". But we both know that's a crap and wholly inaccurate sweeping generalisation. I have seen the above two situations that you describe in every single country I've ever been.

I work in a shop part time and it does make a big difference...just simple common curtesy like that the Irish rarely do that some don't even say please or thank you, when the American tourists come in they are always very nice and mannerly and some even give tips!..for filling petrol!!

Funnily enough, I've encountered the above in every single country I've ever been in, or every nationality I've ever dealt with. Some people say please & thank you. Some don't. It's got f*ck all to do with nationality actually if you bother to look past your little stereotype nose.

I like The Irish by the way I don't mean to bash you..I also consider myself Irish having lived her the majority of my life but we could be alot more considerate here

Well cheers! Now would you kindly remove your foot from my head? Thanks! A lot of people EVERYWHERE could be a lot more considerate ...... how about we ask the US to cut back on SUVs and insanely large litre cars so that we're not all choking on fumes? No? To quote yourself, they "could be a lot more considerate" ......

swings & roundabouts.

....plus he also showed that Ireland has a serious drink problem which we all know but it goes unchallenged, somethings gotta be done even if it means raising the drinking age or seomthing radical...but again that a different topic

Geeeh ... the US has serious firearms & drugs problems which seem to be going unchallenged. Something's gotta be done, even if it means restricting firearms etc. eh?

Backyards and all that.

"Many, many people are dead as a result of this mans actions"

The war was an act by the U.S.A not just President Bush it was voted on by senators and was passed

Originally posted by MeatProduct

Also, about that big tip some American gave you; it strikes me that there is the mentality that money solves everything among some Americans.

Well, it didn't solve any problem for me but I appreciated the gesture and it made me happy for a day
    To get back on topic, Coleman should have asked him some serious questions. Many, many people are dead as a result of this mans actions. People tend to lose sight of the gravity of the situation. Dead people, men, women and children. Children. Let it sink in there and now rethink how incredibly petty is is for you to think that Coleman was being rude to a retarded little hate-breeder.
    Its a war, people die. I know that, Bush knows that and all of America knows that. I'm not talking about that I'm talking about the fact that Caroline Coleman interviewed Bush with the intention to make him look bad and herself look good.

Whats more that bit from Des Bishops show was more of a side bit and ever notice that the majority of people in Boston are Irish? I've been to America alot of times and I've never seen anyone leave their tray behind but that doesn't really matter...I was using that as probably a poor example of the lack of care shown by a great number of Irish people

<mod> Edited to fix quotation tags. </mod>

Originally posted by Lemming
    Apologies for teh OT rant folks

Funnily enough, I've encountered the above in every single country I've ever been in, or every nationality I've ever dealt with. Some people say please & thank you. Some don't. It's got f*ck all to do with nationality actually if you bother to look past your little stereotype nose.
    I think it does..take the French for example..ever had to deal with a French Tourist?
    Well cheers! Now would you kindly remove your foot from my head? Thanks! A lot of people EVERYWHERE could be a lot more considerate ...... how about we ask the US to cut back on SUVs and insanely large litre cars so that we're not all choking on fumes? No? To quote yourself, they "could be a lot more considerate" ......
    They were asked and they refused when they turned down the Kyoto Agreement, which I still haven't found any stats on, what each countries quota is all I know is Ireland is one of the smallest countries under it and we have already surpassed are quota and the year isn't over yet...If Ireland couldn't meet its quota, it makes me wonder what Quota was offered to America..I'd assume it was unreasonable
    Geeeh ... the US has serious firearms & drugs problems which seem to be going unchallenged. Something's gotta be done, even if it means restricting firearms etc. eh?
    Actually almost 90% of all crime in the United States is commited by ethnic minoritys..people who emigrated there many being illegal Aliens being let into the country due to Canada and Mexicos lack of co-operation on protecting their side of the borders
    As for the Drugs its not just an American Problem its a global epidemic which needs to be challenged also, which does not make any sort of excuse for Irelands huge Drink problem...Alcohol is readily available in most countries in the world but it isn't a huge problem in most countries in the world, not too the magnitude of the problem here...Also on the topic the G.A.A is planning a campaign against under age drinking which is a pretty good start.
    Backyards and all that.

<mod> Fixed quote tags. Again. Please learn the vbulletin tags when quoting people </mod>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Fantastic use of the quotation tags there Magnolia_Fan. Now it looks like that I post a load of contradictory comments. Please edit your comments. I expect Lemming would also like his/her comments sorted out also.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by someone, possibly Magnolia_Fan
    They were asked and they refused when they turned down the Kyoto Agreement, which I still haven't found any stats on
    It's not as though it's one of those sekrit things.

Try a google search tor +"kyoto agreement" +stats

Oh, look. Might be something there. Add countries as desired and dilute to taste. Pile of info available on the thing, so much I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot lollipop stick myself unless I got paid rather well for the pleasure.

As for why Ireland's solidly used up its (relatively ample) quota, I'm in favour of pointing at that place with the big chimneys with no scrubbers down in south Clare. On the odd trip I've made to north Kerry (there's a shop in Ballylongford that sells outstanding cones, well-worth the trip), I've occasionally done just that.

I think it does..take the French for example..ever had to deal with a French Tourist?
    [/b]

You mean the "cheese eating surrender monkey" people? Yes. yes I have. And they are no different to anyone else.

Either people are considerate or they're not. Nationality has nothing to do with it. I've dealt with extrordinarily unpleasant american tourists on occasion. Does that mean I think all americans are obnoxious, self-absorbed, overweight rednecks? No. Just the obnoxious, self-absorbed, overweight redneck ones I had the displeasure of having to interact with. I've dealt with nice-as-pie american tourists too.

I've dealt with drunken, rude Irish people. I've deal with drunken, polite funny Irish people, scots, English, welsh, Aussie, Kiwi, Nordic, Germanic, French, Spanish, Czech, Slovak, Russian,. etc, etc, etc. Do you get the picture?

They were asked and they refused when they turned down the Kyoto Agreement, which I still haven't found any stats on, what each countries quota is all I know is Ireland is one of the smallest countries under it and we have already surpassed are quota and the year isn't over yet...If Ireland couldn't meet its quota, it makes me wonder what Quota was offered to America..I'd assume it was unreasonable

O.M.F.G. I was fielding a rhetorical question. Do you understand what a rhetorical question is?

Actually almost 90% of all crime in the United States is commited by ethnic minoritys..people who emigrated there many being illegal Aliens being let into the country due to Canada and Mexicos lack of co-operation on protecting their side of the borders
    As for the Drugs its not just an American Problem its a global epidemic which needs to be challenged also, which does not make any sort of excuse for Irelands huge Drink problem...Alcohol is readily available in most countries in the world but it isn't a huge problem in most countries in the world, not too the magnitude of the problem here...Also on the topic the G.A.A is planning a campaign against under age drinking which is a pretty good start.
    Backyards and all that.

O.M.F.G. number 2

Read my previous comment. You, sir, are an idiot. I'm sorry, but you are. And I'm applying my signature to you.

yes I know what rhetorical means, I may be dumb but your ignorant..you choose to attack me personally as opposed to debate what I typed..But I appreciate your right to say it and strongly feel that your right to say what you feel should be defended, if not by America then by whom?...France??..Germany??...Russia?? Countries whom Sadam had in his pocket, Sadam the same man who was in cahoots with Al Queda therefore Bicariously those three countrys were?

Word!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sadam the same man who was in cahoots with Al Queda
    Erm what now? Show us. The US congress might like to hear as well.

You are aware of the past history of Hussein's "relationship" with Al Queda, yeah?

(I don't know what the rest of your post has to do with the Kyoto agreement - at least there was a tenuous intro with SUVs before that)

Originally posted by sceptre
    (I don't know what the rest of your post has to do with the Kyoto agreement - at least there was a tenuous intro with SUVs before that)

Apologies about inadvertantly bringing Kyoto into the thread Sceptre. I was suggesting he check his own backyard first before making wildly inaccurate sweeping statements and well, he failed to grasp the point with what can only be described as 'spectacular style'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But I appreciate your right to say it and strongly feel that your right to say what you feel should be defended, if not by America then by whom?...France??..Germany??...Russia??

you think we need America to defend what we say over here?
    rolf!!

I presume you can back this up with concrete proof? cos afaik this was just made up by the Bush Admin

Sadam the same man who was in cahoots with Al Queda therefore Bicariously those three countrys were?

taking your train of thought there:

http://www.thedoor.ws/images/rumsfeld%20w-saddam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

How is it NOONE brings it up when bush says "democracy" lol i mean CNN should jump
    at the chance to say "eh mr bush,how is it thousnads of dead ppl magically voted for you in florida?"

Originally posted by sceptre
    It's not as though it's one of those sekrit things.

Try a google search tor +"kyoto agreement" +stats

Oh, look. Might be something there. Add countries as desired and dilute to taste. Pile of info available on the thing, so much I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot lollipop stick myself unless I got paid rather well for the pleasure.

As for why Ireland's solidly used up its (relatively ample) quota, I'm in favour of pointing at that place with the big chimneys with no scrubbers down in south Clare. On the odd trip I've made to north Kerry (there's a shop in Ballylongford that sells outstanding cones, well-worth the trip), I've occasionally done just that.

I have searched it, All I can find is info regarding its goals or helping the enviorment..a unified effort blah blah, none of the nitty gritty at all

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    you think we need America to defend what we say over here?
    rolf!!

I presume you can back this up with concrete proof? cos afaik this was just made up by the Bush Admin

Sadam the same man who was in cahoots with Al Queda therefore Bicariously those three countrys were?

taking your train of thought there:

http://www.thedoor.ws/images/rumsfeld%20w-saddam.jpg

Last Week Vladimir Putin made a public statement saying he provided the United States with information that linked Al Zaqawri to Iraq as a co-respondent between AlQueda and Iraq...Last Saturday I do believe, it just didn't get much media because the media chose not to run it, I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I never heard about that either, Could be sour grapes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Last Week Vladimir Putin made a public statement saying he provided the United States with information that linked Al Zaqawri to Iraq as a co-respondent between AlQueda and Iraq...Last Saturday I do believe, it just didn't get much media because the media chose not to run it, I guess

That is not what he said at all. He said that he passed on proof that Iraq had planned terrorist attacks against the US, however he had no proof that Saddam had done any such thing at all, only that plans were made.

It is much the same as US plans for invading other countries became public but hasn't done so.

It was also in nearly every newspaper.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    It is much the same as US plans for invading other countries became public but hasn't done so.
    Well no I don't think it is actually.

Terrorists can effect their plans virtually un noticed and incognito untill they do their terrorism

When the U.S or any other country plans to invade, they have to mass troops somewhere which is very visible and up front, in order to effect those plans.

Also governments in democratic countries that wage war do so at the risk of being thrown out of office by their electorate.
    There is no such sanction for terrorists,they can do what they like regardless of what the majority of decent folk think of their atrocities.

Those are two crucial and significant differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

i just want bush to get carried away,"lets get eh....North Korea,oh wait they have that bomb thingy,the fact that he has to be selective with his enemies shows how its simply a grudge match and not a serious and specific war on terror,he wont attack korea or iran no matter what they do,with nuclear arms those countries are safe..no wonder he wants diplomatic relations with pakistan,they are a dictatorship but he has no quarrels with them,i wonder why??
    maybe he doesnt want to glow green for the next 100 years.this just eliminates any integrity that man hoped to retain.

Originally posted by Earthman
    Well no I don't think it is actually.

Terrorists can effect their plans virtually un noticed and incognito untill they do their terrorism

When the U.S or any other country plans to invade, they have to mass troops somewhere which is very visible and up front, in order to effect those plans.

What is likely to spook a country, plans to invade by the US or plans for terrorist attacks.

Answer: Both of them.

The US also writes plans on what we would call terrorist attacks on other countries (although they call it something else). But they generally aren't made public until the US does them.

Anyway I was pointing out there was no proof of Saddam/AQ link.
    Also governments in democratic countries that wage war do so at the risk of being thrown out of office by their electorate.

Your assuming they can.

What is likely to spook a country, plans to invade by the US or plans for terrorist attacks.
    Well AlQueda have spooked americans (a) by carrying out 9-11 and (b) by continuing to threaten to do another one.You've only to go there and talk to ordinary americans and it's one of the first things that you'll notice(in my experience anyway)
    Your assuming they can.
    Well they threw Daddy Bush out after just one term... so yes they can obviously.
    However theres one but and it's a significant one.
    Many Americans will vote Bush because he is their sitting president at a time that they consider to be of great fear for them.
    They will vote for him when ordinarally they wouldn't for the very simple reason that they would regard turfing him out as a win for AlQ'ueda.
    Ironically, AlQ'ueda would probably prefer if he stayed.

Well AlQueda have spooked americans (a) by carrying out 9-11 and (b) by continuing to threaten to do another one.You've only to go there and talk to ordinary americans and it's one of the first things that you'll notice(in my experience anyway)

I've lived there before and after. I know well enough it has spooked Americans.

What spooked Iran, Syria and North Korea? What prompted North Korea to actively voice they were going to create Nukes.

Nothing to do with his "Axis of evil" speech, or plans to invade these countries made public? Same thing.

Well they threw Daddy Bush out after just one term... so yes they can obviously.

That was then, after all the shannigans that happened in Florida it makes me wonder if they actually can vote him out. Btw Kerry is as bad as Bush.
    They will vote for him when ordinarally they wouldn't for the very simple reason that they would regard turfing him out as a win for AlQ'ueda.
    Ironically, AlQ'ueda would probably prefer if he stayed. [/B]

Actually AQ have publically voiced that they want Bush to win. However saying hes voted in/out means the terrorists got their way is a fallacy.

I've lived there before and after. I know well enough it has spooked Americans.
    Well then you will understand the mindset of those that don't want Bush out.
    What spooked Iran, Syria and North Korea? What prompted North Korea to actively voice they were going to create Nukes.
    Never said they weren't spooked,I was addressing the difference between the accountability of terrorists versus the accountability of governments.
    That was then, after all the shannigans that happened in Florida it makes me wonder if they actually can vote him out.
    Well,given that what happened in Florida is hardly a secret, the democrats have only themselves to blame if they allow that to happen again.
    Theres still plenty of time for them to look at who is registered and who should be.
    If they don't it would at this stage show as much negligence on their part as deviousness on the Republican part.

That of course cannot be determined untill after the election.
    Btw Kerry is as bad as Bush.
    How so?
    Actually AQ have publically voiced that they want Bush to win. However saying hes voted in/out means the terrorists got their way is a fallacy.
    How so?
    I've only stated that many ( not all thankfully)americans perceive that ousting Bush would be against their thinking as he is the sitting president fighting what they perceive as a war against AlQueda.
    I understand what you say by Alqueda wanting Bush to remain in office but that has no bearing on what some U.S voters think( the ones that are fervent about not dumping the Pres during this "war", ie the ones that are most spooked by Alqueda ) when they go to the polls.
    Might be moot though given that Kerry is currently ahead in the polls.

• Advertisement

Well then you will understand the mindset of those that don't want Bush out.

I can understand, can't say I agree with it. But actions of 9/11 are not a good excuse to keep the president in.

Never said they weren't spooked,I was addressing the difference between the accountability of terrorists versus the accountability of governments.

But you didn't really address that. You said that terrorists do things in secret. So do the US. Hows does that make the US more accountable?
    Well,given that what happened in Florida is hardly a secret, the democrats have only themselves to blame if they allow that to happen again.

Yea blame the victim. Some of the stuff happened on the day, how do you stop that? It wasn't just a matter of who was registered and who wasn't. There were a whole range of issues that happened in Florida.
    How so?

They have a similar agenda on a lot of things. But this isn't surprising considering they both belong the same private "Old boys network" club (otherwise known as 'skull and bones').
    How so?

After the madrid bombings AQ publically announced their support for Bush as president in 2004. Common knowledge.
    I understand what you say by Alqueda wanting Bush to remain in office but that has no bearing on what some U.S voters think( the ones that are fervent about not dumping the Pres during this "war", ie the ones that are most spooked by Alqueda ) when they go to the polls.[/B]

So your basically agreeing with what I said.

Advertisement