Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven-Goran Eriksson

• 24-06-2004 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

How bad is he?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

He's better than Keegan :D

If he stays in charge he will have to lose the defensive attitude when England take the lead in big games

I'd give him a crack at the World Cup qualifiers

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He'll have to... He's only signed a two year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He doesn't seem to know a lot about formation and tactics. He just sticks his best 11 out on the pitch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think he's a good manager, but he's not suited to international football. At club level, you can bring in the players you want and mold the team the way you want, while at international level the manager has to make do with what he has, and hence needs to have strong motivational and tactical skills... departments in which both I think he is lacking.

If they sort out their manager, I think they'll be in with a decent shot at doing very well in Germany 2006. 2 years down the line, I'd fancy a new manager to have sorted out the midfield. Rooney will be 20, the likes of Robinson & Kirkland will have also matured, and the defence, well... after tonight's showing, I don't think that's a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said in another thread I do not rate Sven at all. He seems to go all defensive after England get one goal rather than play to their strenghts and go for another goal. The FA made a mistake signing him up for another 2 years.

I'd say Chelsea fans are breathing a sigh of relief thou ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i don't think it's fair to label him a bad coach because England lost, i mean they lost on penalties and had a disallowed goal (as well as a lucky 1st goal). had Portugal lost then the Portugese coach would be getting the exact same negative opinion.

to be honest, i blame Beckham. overhyped, overrated and Eriksson can't and won't substitute him as a) he's captain, b) he's England's "hero" and c) Eriksson is probably worried that he'll cause more problems within the England camp by removing Beckham of his captain armband and playing time then by keeping him on the pitch

Beckham has done very little for England during Euro 2004 imo having watched all of England's matches and having Beckham take the penalties in England's matches and more importantly the first penalty in a penalty shoot-out only for Beckham to not score any of them shows how Eriksson is putting Beckham's God-like status way before Beckham's true current ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

What naitkris said. All to true. Beckham was anonymous in that game tonight, although Gerrard and Lampard weren't much better. So sad to see poor little Gary Lineker nearly in tears at the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They have been doing this for years ,sitting back on a led constantly, when Pat Dolan was at St pats he did it every single week and we usually lost 2-1 ,its the most annoying thing to go ahead and lose it when you really shouldnt.
    Noone can defend against pressure like they invite vs fra vs por and expect to win.
    They should know (oh god im going to say this) the best way to stop the other team is to keep in their half ie attack.

But at international level you really only have the players available and one thing really bugs me about england is Gerrard Lampard Scholes and to some extent Beckham are seriously combative midfielders but for England they quite content to sit back ,that suggests to me its a gameplan from the top. these guys are ball winers and very good going forward (at a guess between them they got 60 goals this season) and barely had one msut score chance between them (lampards goals excluded).

I dunno with players like that available who can push a game on ,like if ireland were playing Portugal we would expect them to harrass them and take the game to them, England with better players dont :confused:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

While we're talking about Beckham's poor performance, I think most of the Madrid team brought their poor club form with them. Raul Bravo, Beckham, Figo, Raul and probably even Casillas all didn't play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by KdjaC

But at international level you really only have the players available and one thing really bugs me about england is Gerrard Lampard Scholes and to some extent Beckham are seriously combative midfielders but for England they quite content to sit back ,that suggests to me its a gameplan from the top. these guys are ball winers and very good going forward (at a guess between them they got 60 goals this season) and barely had one msut score chance between them (lampards goals excluded).

kdjac

Excatly the mans an idiot.
    Sven is so conservative he makes Houllier look like a
    reckless fool! He sadly wont change and he won't be asked to change after all he'll say "if you dont like me sack me". And the FA wont do that cos they'd have to appoint someone else which would require
    making a hard discision. The FA will always run and hide if it can.

Beckham had one glorious 90 mins in an England shirt against Greece and he's been riding on the back of that ever since. I'd give the captaincy to Campbell or Gerrard and drop Beckham entirely unless he reacted to a bollicking in the right way (ie Gerrard at Liverpool).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Eriksson is completly overated as a manager
    he won the leage with Lazio but this was largely due to the fact he spent £100m on player not to mention the wage bill.
    He is far to defensive a poor judge of players and worst of all he often picks heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think he should go but the FA will let him see out the remainder of his contract. He doesnt do a lot of management. He chooses formations according to the wishes of the Likes of Beckham Gerrard and Owen.He never prepared properly for major tournaments, he makes 11 substitutions in every friendly-that is hardly the way forward when trying to piece together a set team. He made the england team go on a 7 mile run before the Eurochamps which drained their energy for a week.The only reason why he included rooney(whos a great player mind you) is because of pressure from the tabloids,he was lucky on that one to be honest as he wouldnt have picked him if the press had kept quiet about him.

Advertisement