Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox Question

Options
  • 25-06-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

When cold my 96 starlets first and second gear are 'sticky'. however when the car warms up they work grand, with a little bit of stickiness but not so much that I'd have difficulty changing gears.

Is this a tell tale sign for my gearbox dying? or is there some other explaination?

My knowledge of inside the bonnet goes as far as checking the oil level and filling up the windscreen washer ;)

any input would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The fact that its gears 1 and 2 which are sticky suggests
    worn synchromesh. Does you car spend its days in stop start town traffic?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by mike65
    The fact that its gears 1 and 2 which are sticky suggests
    worn synchromesh. Does you car spend its days in stop start town traffic?

Mike.

Well I drive 20 miles to work every day but half of that is travelling around the outside of cork city, north ring road, where I would do a lot of stop starting.

If it's that, is it expensive to replace/ repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The synchromesh is the part that allows smooth gearchanges as the name suggests so its inside the gearbox and proberly means seperating the engine and box before dismantling the gearbox assembly. I'd guess not cheap (just cos of the man hours). Still you wont know till you get an outline quote.

Is it only 1st/2nd gear? There is a change its just the cable that needs adjusting...but would'nt bank on it :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

I'd try changing your gearbox oil before you do anything else - it might be that simple - use a good quality one. I had a BMW 325 that used to have a similar prob when cold - changed the gearbox oil and solved the problem :)

Ruatha

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres a fully synthetic gear oil called "Synchroshift" specially designed to solve the problm your having.It works by filling the gap in the synchromesh thats worn thereby restoring smooth gearchange.
    We`ve used it for a good few years now and it seems to do the job.Its expensive though at about 25 euros per litre but its a lot cheaper than a gearbox rebuild.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

well i could be wrong but i think there is no synchromesh on 1st and reverse, only high speed gears 2,3,4,5

I would start from clutch adjustment to see if there is any change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

It does sound like worn synchro hubs. Have you tried double- clutching to see if that makes a difference? Even doing this, some worn synchros can still be stiff.

1st gear often didn't have synchro in the "old days," but many modern cars have synchro on all forward gears. I believe that some even put a synchro on reverse!

Advertisement