Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving current setup as "last known good configuration" in w2k

Options
  • 25-06-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

My PC packed in a while ago and I had to load it up as the "last known good configuration" in w2k. It came back ok but I had to reset all my backgrounds, resolution etc, I reinstalled windows a while back and have never shutdown since then.

My PC cannot be shutdown as the on/off button is broken, the button is part of a PCB so I cant just replace the button easily (its a Dell). If turning off I just log off and unplug it.

Have I got to shutdown to get it to save my current setup as the last known good configuration, or can I somehow save my settings while up and running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can it not power itself off when you choose start/shutdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes it will power itself off but then I wont be able to turn it on again.
    I had to get a similar PCB from another dell to plug in and turn it on and it has never been properly shutdown since, just restarted or logged off and plugged out, when you plug it in it will load up but if it was shutdown I would have to press the button again.
    I could get a loan of the dell button PCB again but it is a lot of hassle putting it in and out, you have to strip the entire case right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

is it under warranty?

Yes I have a 3 year one. BUT it is work and I know what dell are like. They wont send out a new PCB even though I know it is the problem. They will insist on bringing it in and replacing it so I will have to wait a few weeks while it lies in their service centre costing us 1000's in downtime. Probably will come back formatted from the useless bastards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

they'll send out an engineer to you with the parts needed once you go through the tech support procedure with them and they know what is wrong, and if its a small job

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go but wont hold my breath. The pc packed in after 13 months. opened it up and found the speaker was broken off the motherboard i.e. second hand/damaged goods sold as new. It had been hanging all year too, we bought 2 supposedly identical pcs running the same software and the other was fine.
    I know guys who work in dell who told me not to even bother phoning them that they would spend weeks fixing it and charge a fortune. i ended up buying a new motherboard from the uk at 660 euro (all non standard shhite in those dells). dell refused to sell me the motherboard even though they had one. they didnt want to hear about the broken motherboard.

anyways thanks for the advice but i would still like to know if the setup can be saved now somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Eh, why not just choose Shutdown and Restart instead of just Shutdown? It won't power off and will save your settings and restart Windows .. :)

I dont see that option in my shutdown screen. I only have logoff, shutdown and restart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

He means "Restart"....it'll shut down the machine and then restart it back up again.

Yeah, I've tried it but it doesn't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement