Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was it a goal?

• 25-06-2004 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

We all saw it, heard Motty and Royle crying about, what's your view - did you think it should have stood?

Was it a goal? 22 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Had it been a challenge between any other players the ref would have had no problem with it. That withstanding, I don't even think it was a foul anyway, regardless. The goalies are afforded way too much protection, even attempt to get the ball and you get a free out. Should the 6 yrd box become an exclusion zone? Demilitarised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Do you think Terry was offside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Do you think Terry was offside?

I would have to see it again. I didnt think Terry was off-side but i would really need to see it again. I was watching Sky News and they showed Terrys arm on the keepers shoulder from a different angle and it looked like Terry was preventing the keeper from tipping the ball over the bar. So maybe that is what the ref saw. But i wouldnt pick on the ref. What about how bad england played??
    But i still think it was hard on England.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Dewey
    So maybe that is what the ref saw. But i wouldnt pick on the ref. What about how bad england played??
    I don't think the ref saw anything really. He was a good distance away and gave the free for pushing, overruling his linesman who gave the goal. The goal may have been illegal for a possible impedment by Terry, but it wasn't because of a push. He bottled sending the hosts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I reckon it was a fair goal and the english were robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dewey
    I would have to see it again. I didnt think Terry was off-side but i would really need to see it again.
    I don't know too much about this confused offside rule but have a look at these pics and tell me what you think.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/first%20phase.jpg
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/second%20phase.jpg

Terry stayed in the same spot for the whole incident and from what I know of the rule, he's in an offside position.

I believe the keeper would have got the ball if Terry's arm wasn't on his shoulder. http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image165.jpg

For one, the keeper's arm could have stretched more if it wasn't rapped around Terry's, and two, if Terry wasn't there the keeper would have more than likely jumped for the ball and not stood on the spot. Ricardo's arm is a lot lower than Campbell's head so he mustn't have been able to jump very high.

I can't find a clip of the incident on the net but its a lot clearer to see it in full. I have it recorded and shown it to 2 people who previously thought it was a legit goal but changed their mind after seeing it from the angle behind the goal.

I don't think it was Terry or Campbell's fault but whether he accidently impeded the keeper or not doesn't matter because, either way he stopped the keeper from getting to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think Ricardo took the easy way out and fell over, because he knew he wasnt getting the ball and if a keeper falls over they generally get a free out. Keepers are way too over protected theses days, you cant go near them, let alone tackle them.
    You cant expect the player tomove out of the keepers way, he should have as much right to go for a ball as a keeper.

On a different note, the czech keeper pushing the german player out of the way (cant remember which player) that was as blatent a push as youll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Finally me and Andy Townsend agree on something. He just said on ITV it wasn't a goal which Des and Terry seem to agree with. I think the English are finally waking up to the fact it was a free kick, somehow I don't see the BBC agreeing. The more I see it, I'm more convinced it wasn't a goal. Rules are rules, he had his arm on the keeper's shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Finally me and Andy Townsend agree on something. He just said on ITV it wasn't a goal which Des and Terry seem to agree with. I think the English are finally waking up to the fact it was a free kick, somehow I don't see the BBC agreeing. The more I see it, I'm more convinced it wasn't a goal. Rules are rules, he had his arm on the keeper's shoulder.

It was a free kick because it was on the keeper and because the keeper has the advantage of being able to use his hands, a jump that would be ok elswhere on the pitch against an outfield player should be ok on the keeper. Im not disputing that to the letter of the law it should be a free out but like so many of fifas other rule, is ridiculous.

Advertisement