Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any experience of sun pipes

• 25-06-2004 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I have a poorly lit hallway at home underneath the attic. So I was thinking of putting in a velux window in the roof and then a light well. However one of the brothers suggested I look at a light or sun pipe, see details here

It would seem cheaper to but, easier and cheaper to install, with similar effectiveness to a skylight. Has anybody come across these or better yet used them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I haven't actually seen them in use, but I suspect that the brochure overstate their effectiveness. Check if they make specific claims on performance. How does this compare to a light of comparable power?

Is there any way to brighten up the hall with lighter paint colours in the hall and outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

As with all brouchures - I'm sure the data given is for fairly optimal conditions. So I'm treating it with a degree of skepticism. Nevertheless it seems a good alternative to th elarge cost of getting a porfessional to install a light well for a standard velux type skylight.

BTW similar levels of claims for other manufacturers

The hall is dim - even with very light walls. And I don't want to just leave a light on because of the cost/environmental issues and the fact that I just don't like it.

What performance (in Watts) do they claim, based on where you are located (how much sun your part of the country gets and whether there are high trees / buildings around you).

How much will it cost? To supply and fit and put every thing back together.

Compare to cost of €1,000-1,500 for a light well with a Velux or patent glazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'm surprised at you Victor trying to equate lamp wattage to luminosity or even light intensity:D

How much light does Sun-2-u® provide?
    Our 55 cm (22 in) Sun-2-u® light pipe is equal to 1 m2 (approximately 10 ft2) of a window. Our 25 cm (10 in) Sun-2-u® light pipe is equal to 0.5 m2 (approximately 5 ft2).

More details here

Price wise at £225+vat each - 10inch version, and I'm thinking two. Probably more than I really need but I like a lot of light. And I can do the fitting myself - one day.

I would say your velux price is very conservative for window, well and labour.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    I'm surprised at you Victor trying to equate lamp wattage to luminosity or even light intensity:D
    G'way from me and stop reminding me of first year Materials Science ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

When I was looking at houses to buy I saw them installed in the ensuite ( in the middle of the house plan) of houses up in Ellensborough ( if i remember correctly as i looked at a lot of houses) in old bawn dublin, it looked very well and certainly the room was very bright with this being the only light source at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://sun-2-u.com/en/index.html/what_is_sun
    from this it looks like is a tube with relective coating.
    sice you loose a few percent of light with each bounce a better solution would be fibre optic or periscope.

you could get a plastic pvc tube and fill with water and use it to pipe light around - great apart from the fact water weigh 1Kg per litre and a 22" diameter pipe several meters long - well you wouldnt have to worry about fires (might even act as a heat sink)

Advertisement