Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Download Cap Meter Now Online

• 25-06-2004 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Dear DMT,

As you are aware, in order to maintain quality of service for all of our broadband customers, download limits are attached to each of our Clicksilver products. These download limits are set sufficiently in order that they will have little or no bearing for the vast bulk of residential or business broadband users. Indeed at 8 GB per month for Clicksilver and 16 GB per month for Clicksilver Plus, our download limits have been set at double the limits for Eircom's equivalent services.

By default, and in accordance with our Terms & Conditions, customers who exceed these download limits will be charged 1.5c per MB (Eircom's standard charge is 3.0c per MB). These charges will commence from 1 July.

To assist you with monitoring your downloads throughout the month, we have created for your use an online download usage calculator which can be accessed at http://u.tv/csie This will provide you with a recent indication of your download usage for the current calendar month. To assist you further, we will also automatically email you, using this email address, once your download usage is around 80% of your monthly download limit. A second email will be sent if you reach 100% of your download limit, to indicate that additional charges will be incurred during the remainder of the calendar month.

We accept that some customers may prefer to have a temporary suspension put in place on reaching their download limit rather than incurring ongoing charges. If this is your preferred option, please log on to http://u.tv/csie where you can choose between ongoing charges or a temporary suspension. Please note that unless you choose otherwise, you will incur a charge of 1.5c per MB when exceeding the monthly download limit.

It is anticipated that these caps will have no impact for the vast majority of our broadband customers, indeed less than 2% of our current customer base have exceeded these caps in any given month.

Should you however have any queries related to these limits, or indeed any other part of your Clicksilver service, please do not hesitate to call us on 1890 926 111 or email support@u.tv.

Regards,
    UTV Internet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been running for a while but was giving strange numbers that said when I checked last week it showed about 2.5 gb down and 300mb up which sounded right.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by DMT
    less than 2% of our current customer base have exceeded these caps in any given month.
    And every single one of them is a boards member who complains about the caps here

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by mike65
    Its been running for a while but was giving strange numbers that said when I checked last week it showed about 2.5 gb down and 300mb up which sounded right.

Mike.
    It's bang on for me too. It says 7732MB downloaded, while DUMeter says 7.55 GB, which equals 7731MB.

But do UTV consider 8GB to be 8192Mb or 8000MB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Originally posted by DMT
    By default, and in accordance with our Terms & Conditions, customers who exceed these download limits will be charged 1.5c per MB (Eircom's standard charge is 3.0c per MB). These charges will commence from 1 July.
    Anyone know if any other ISP's started charging yet (or are starting in July also)? and if so, are they using Eircoms 3.0c per MB?
    I'm still paying €47.50 for the 8 gig cap on UTV (not a hope in hell I'd sign another 12 months with them) so I'd like to know who's charging what before I sign up to anyone else.

/edit
    also the upload on mine seems way off:
    Incoming: 4980.2MB
    Outgoing: 1354MB

dunno how I could have uploaded that much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's complete bullshit. Blame the horrendously shit service that we've put up with over the last year on the "2%" of people who exceed the cap. So they've now taken away UTV's one redeeming feature.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Still says this on their bandwidth usage page (as it has done for months):
    Please be aware that we are still developing this feature and it will be functional soon once testing is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I always thought the major "redeeming feature" of UTV was that they were significantly cheaper?

If no one else is going to be charging for users going over the cap then it is an odd move but perhaps they are the only ones telling the users first. It is already in the T&Cs of all the providers so in theory they didn't have to send this. Horrible thought but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by PcP
    I'm still paying €47.50 for the 8 gig cap on UTV (not a hope in hell I'd sign another 12 months with them) so I'd like to know who's charging what before I sign up to anyone else.

Same here , and same here , would like to know how you are going about it and where you are going , I was connected on the 14th of august , so I presume my new contract would start on the 1st of august this year . so I want to be out by then .

John

You're a month ahead of me so, I was connected September last year. I havn't fully decided who to go with yet (IOL seem a good contender though) but you can be sure I'll weigh up all the options and look closely at what other users are saying before signing another 12 month contract with anyone.
    I'd be interested in hearing how you get on though, how much downtime to expect etc. I'd speak to UTV at least a month before the contract expires to let them know you won't be renewing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is anticipated that these caps will have no impact for the vast majority of our broadband customers, indeed less than 2% of our current customer base have exceeded these caps in any given month.

If they admit that its a problem only affecting 2% of their customers it would have seemed far more sensible to devote the technical resources used in putting in the monitoring system to addressing the pings issue!

• Advertisement

What about this "Bitstream Port Transfer " thingy ?

What about me starting a new thread cause i'm going OT , I'll do it tomorrow , sorry .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Regards UTV Internet

Nobody signs letters anymore! I wonder if it came to it what is the status of a communication like the one we have just got?

Seriously though does anybody know the legality of an unsigned letter like the one UTV just issued?

It's in the t & c's anyway so I don't think the mail has to be legally binding, more a FYI than anything really (they're all heart :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pish. There's no reason for them to introduce the cap. It's problems with their network that has the service in ****state, not the amount of users/bandwidth.

Methinks Eircom has been rubbing off on the UTV top-brass and they're realising it's more profitable that way. F*ck the "loyal" customers, they're more trouble than they're worth anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Without wanting to start a huge argument or anything, I can't really understand why people are getting so upset about UTV starting to enforce their cap. We've all known from the start that there is a cap. It wasn't enforced for a time. When we signed up we signed up to a capped service. Its not just been dumped on us. There's nothing in the t&c's about not enforcing cap to compensate for technical problems.

Then again, as a person who purely got broadband for the speed and always on convenience, I've had no real problems of late. My total downloads per month never exceed 2 or 3 gigs anyway, and my online gaming is almost exclusively RPG'ing. I'd really like to know what what a person who downloads >8 (or 16) gigs per month (legally) is downloading!.

Originally posted by ArthurG
    I'd really like to know what what a person who downloads >8 (or 16) gigs per month (legally) is downloading!.
    They'd clearly be a movie trailer/linux iso junkies.... *ahem*

Originally posted by ArthurG
    I'd really like to know what what a person who downloads >8 (or 16) gigs per month (legally) is downloading!.
    Try streaming video from WinAmp 5 for a while and see how much it uses. I also like downloading game movies eg. this type of thing which take a fair chunk out of the cap. Then gaming itself plus downloading mods/patches which all take their toll.
    So there is indeed plenty of legal ways to use that bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Originally posted by DMT
    They'd clearly be a movie trailer/linux iso junkies.... *ahem*

Of course, I apologise! Love those movie trailers!. :D

My point is that I also download lots of legit stuff, I've got several very large Everquest2 and World of Warcraft trailers recently, but for me this never exceeds more than a few gigs.

Must try harder!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

have iol started enforcing yet? if so i owe them, that is to say my brother owes them, about €450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

When does the cap reset. Is it the start of every month or does it have to do with the date you signed up

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bush
    When does the cap reset. Is it the start of every month or does it have to do with the date you signed up
    Yes.

Originally posted by DMT
    Yes.

yes is an answer to that question ??

The cap is reset at the end of the month , the day you went live has nothing to do with it , its by the calander month .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Does streaming stuff off the net waste bandwidth?

Originally posted by bush
    Does streaming stuff off the net waste bandwidth?
    Yes.

in short , yes

Advertisement