Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 25-06-2004 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Nice paper, I was personally dreading it but wahay it turned out fine. I managed to get through it grand. Did 1,2,3,4,5,10. Anyway thats it, can't be arsed to write up answers, I'm free!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Q1: Grand, no problems

Q2: Grand, but i ****ed up the directions again, just like in my mock. I had wind blowing towards south east, not coming from south east.

Q3: Perfect

Q4: Perfect.

Q5: Perfect

Q10: Couldn't get b(ii) to work out properly, i got a really wierd (negative) answer. So i just put mod signs on the whole thing and gave up. I did this at least 6 times, but coudn't get it out! Realy pissed with that.

SNAP: Same questions :p

EDIT: The marking scheme guidelines say i lose only 1 mark for a misreading, so long as it doesnt over simplify, so i think i'm safe. I didn't over simplify, just got adirection wrong, so hopefully only 1 mark lost. If i lose more, i might be complaining :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Didn't get any of the part b's out... think I had most of the methods right, butjust stupid slip ups. Probably heading towards a B3. Ending the leaving on a low note... all a bit of an anti-climax really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I didn't get 1(b) but that was it. I managed to get 10(b) as 3g/15 or something like that it worked out nicely

Q3 Perfect
    4 perfect
    5 perfect
    10 perfect

Subway, what went wrong?? I've never had a applied maths class in my life and I thought that went pretty well.

Question 10 was supposed to be my best question... it'll probably end up being my worst. 1(B) looked totally simple, untill I actually started doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I too was getting a little nervous about this. I went in only being able to do six questions which wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do but it worked out alright; I'd say I got a B1.

Q1: Alright, I proved the first part and then got 16m for both distances which I know is wrong.

Q2: Got this perfect. a (i) 55 N of E (ii) 8.16 s b (i) i-8j (ii) 25 m (iii) 4.6 s

Q3: a 40m b had the method but couldn't simplify it to what they wanted.

Q4: Great. I love wedges! a (i) g/3 (ii) 2v^2/6.534 any one know if that's right? b (ii) 2.6 (iii) 1.028

Q5: Perfect. p=4(3-5e)/8 q=3u(1+e)/8 (ii) e>3/5 b (i) 60.014 (ii) 0.334

Q10: This was my worst (a) y= e^(2.604x-1/x) b (i) I got close but couldn't get it out so for the last line I just put it equal to it and wrote QED hopefully they won't notice

Now Im free and am going to get very drunk and Im going paint-balling on Sunday!:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Seifer
    Q10: This was my worst (a) y= e^(2.604x-1/x) b (i) I got close but couldn't get it out so for the last line I just put it equal to it and wrote QED hopefully they won't notice

Exactly what I did... I've prefected that method over the years, usually looks quite convincin. Hopefully when the examiner comes to ours they'll just be a bit too tired/stressed/bored to give a damn/reward us for our ingenuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Q1: Alright, I proved the first part and then got 16m for both distances which I know is wrong.
    HAH! i saw that trap coming and avoided it!

when you subsitituted into the s=ut formual, that just counts the distance ABOVE the starting point, not total distance covered.

You had to work out the distance travelled in two parts. E.g., particle A spent 3 seconds travelling, about 2 seconds of that were travelling up to its max height.

So you use v=u +at to find out exactly the time to max height, then work out that distance, then use the reminaing time to find out how far it travelled going back down, and add both of those together to get total distance travelled. etc.

EDIT: I think the answers were 25 and 15.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    HAH! i saw that trap coming and avoided it!
    when you subsitituted into the s=ut formual, that just counts the distance ABOVE the starting point, not total distance covered.

Some of us like to call that displacement. That brown book is stupid for not stating that enough times, s =ut + 1/2at^2 is displacement from a point not distance travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I missed the trick in Q1, noticed it the second I got out.
    Part b, I wasn't too sure, but I took the car and the caravan as one object and added forces/weights etc, rather than dealing with the 2 separately. Got f=1.1, a=6

Q2, Q3a, Q4a, Q5 same as Seifer.
    Q4b got 8.82 for part ii, 0.303 for part iii.
    Q10a y = e^(1-1/x) + 4
    Q10b I got part i out and then got 2/g for part ii.
    Think I've got the A1, all my methods were sound apart from Q1.

Got the same as you for 2,3,4 and 10 although I'm unsure as to what I got for 10b. I got really nice values for Q5 angle = 60 and e = 1/3, so nice they have to be right

• Advertisement

Cool I thought my Q4b values were a bit dodgy. And I got those values for Q5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

WahHaaah! I'm actually quite tipsy/verging on drunkeness.....

But anyway, thougth it was alrite. Better than I expected. But let us not forget - The APPLIED MATHS Marking Scheme! Tis sweet! Even if u've the method right u'd b lookin at a B garde!

Tommorrow night! if ur in Cork, gimme a shout!

Thabks to all thru out the leaving, esp to mutant-somthing & subway_ie - for all annswers & tips arrrghzz can't type

BUT finishe dleaving!

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    Think I've got the A1, all my methods were sound apart from Q1.

Hmm, surely there is more to an A1 than that?

Well going by your answers and Seifer's, I got Q2,3,4, and 5 all perfect. Q10 was perfect as well but I haven't confirmed the answer for b(ii). It'll only be blunders bringing me down there. I'll lose max 10 marks for missing the trick in Q1a, and I'm pretty confident my method for b was ok, but that's the only question mark really. Don't see where I can lose 30 marks, basically. Unless I was completely wrong for b and get 0 marks, in which case it's A2 town for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Hmm, surely there is more to an A1 than that?
    There isn't though. You can get an A1 without getting a single correct answer. I'm the same, got a few weird-lookin answers, but all the proofs were grand, & I seem to have got the majority of answers people have written here (a few dodgy ones with roots & stuff, but they'll just be little calculation errors).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I know someone who got an A2 and when he looked at his paper he had made a calculation mistake on every question and thus got everything wrong :)

All you need to do to get any question wrong is use a wrong sign (+/-), that's a slip so you're docked 1 mark. 1 mark in 12 questions is 12 marks out of 300 which is 96%. So it's very possible to get an A1 without getting a single "right" answer. Even if you make a blunder in every question, you still get 88%.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I think that was a nice enough paper, its good to see the answers I got weren't too far off anyway!
    I think the marking scheme is a bit dodgy in Applied Maths. Our teacher told us a student in his class got an A1 in applied maths, checked her paper and didn't get 1 answer right. I personally think this is a lie. That makes no sense! They can't do that in one subject and not in an other i.e maths - blunder -3 I hate that!

Originally posted by levi
    I think the marking scheme is a bit dodgy in Applied Maths. Our teacher told us a student in his class got an A1 in applied maths, checked her paper and didn't get 1 answer right. I personally think this is a lie. That makes no sense! They can't do that in one subject and not in an other i.e maths - blunder -3 I hate that!

You can do the same in maths - make a slip (-1 mark) in each question - you'll end up with 564 marks (assuming one clip in every part a, b and c), which is 94%, ie an A1. The marking scheme isn't "dodgy" - it's fair. Maybe a bit too fair sometimes, but fair none the less.

Advertisement