Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishbroadband.ie

• 25-06-2004 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Has anyone use irishbroadband or had any success with wireless broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

I don't have it myself (i'm using a bog standard 33k dial-up :( ) but I've heard from a couple of guys that have it that the service is meant to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

You may have better look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I have had it for a couple of months now. Its been good for me. Needed to get the cable from the ariel moved - they sent some out the next day and didn’t charge me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you get no interference, its the best service money can buy. But if you do get interference, it can be a nightmare.

Basically, i'd give em a ring and ask em when they are rolling out the 3.5ghz gear. That is their new equipment, and should stop all interference issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Despite all the complaints they get here, I'm very happy with them (so far)

That said it did take 2 months to get them out to install and I had to go for the more expensive 5.?ghz gear (€84 a month) seeing as I was out of range of the normal stuff.

But the end result is very good- v. fast and reliable.

I was nearly put off by all the complaints but so far, so good.

So can't really complain.

• Advertisement

the complaints have only been about the 2.4ghz equip, and that stuff will soon be phased out (supposedly). If possible, avoid the 2.4ghz stuff and wait for the 3.5ghz stuff. Hopefully it'll solve all those problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Perhaps I should have waited for that then. Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've just moved my office up to tallaght and got Irish Broadband wireless. Speed has been disappointing to say the least and sometimes stops dead. I've been on to the technical support and been given various excuses.

My question , is the a common experience witht his company or is it unique to my installation?

I'd appreciate any thoughts comments or links to other threads where this has been discussed.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Tony
    I've just moved my office up to tallaght and got Irish Broadband wireless. Speed has been disappointing to say the least and sometimes stops dead. I've been on to the technical support and been given various excuses.

My question , is the a common experience witht his company or is it unique to my installation?

I'd appreciate any thoughts comments or links to other threads where this has been discussed.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

Tony, I had the same problems and went through about 2 months of excuses from them. Sometimes the speed was slower than a dial up modem. They always gave the excuse of contention. Anyway after 2 months I got pissed off and demanded a refund. They gave me back 3 months subscription. I'm with IOL now and am very happy with it.

Originally posted by Tony

Thanks in advance
    Tony

The Three Rock transmitter would be the *main* mast for Dublin (the actually main mast is in RTÉ studios, and some office in Sandyford. But, it seems that a lot of the aerials in D6W, D12, D24 are pointed towards the Tallaght mast, in Old Bawn, meaning that there is a lot of traffic on this mast.

Tony, why not pop up on the roof (if you can) and swing your antennae around to Three Rock? If you can't see three rock, just position your antennae a little to the left of the sky satellite location. Three Rock has better contention ratios.

• Advertisement

MIght try that thanks

Thanks for the post, I'm paying for 8 to 1 contention so they cant really use that excuse. Unfortunately I cannot get BB from landline so may have to go the satellite route.

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    Tony, I had the same problems and went through about 2 months of excuses from them. Sometimes the speed was slower than a dial up modem. They always gave the excuse of contention. Anyway after 2 months I got pissed off and demanded a refund. They gave me back 3 months subscription. I'm with IOL now and am very happy with it.

BTW did they refund you the installation ?
    Originally posted by HelterSkelter

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It wont work
    and I would advise not to even try it:)

moving the mast yourself could leave yourself open to a "reinstallation" fee if you can't reallign it correctly. And i doubt moving it like that will help at all.

Well now, somehow, I think Tony is a guy who is well able to re-align a dish or an aerial!!!

I got up on the roof today as i noticed it was windy and speed at less than dial up rates. When standing behind the microwave dish I noticed a tree almost in its line of site so this may well be the problem. Irish broadband promised to call me back with a vist date but as usual they failed to do so.

I'll update with any further progress

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

yep... don't touch the dish.
    But keep asking them to fix this until you get satisfaction.
    Try downloading files from big reliable servers to find out if it's the network traffic that is slow or if it's your IBB gear that isn't setup properly anymore.
    What are your pings to your Gateway and DNS ?

Sorry you've lost me there :D
    Originally posted by uteotw
    yep... don't touch the dish.
    But keep asking them to fix this until you get satisfaction.
    Try downloading files from big reliable servers to find out if it's the network traffic that is slow or if it's your IBB gear that isn't setup properly anymore.
    What are your pings to your Gateway and DNS ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do a downlaod test from ftp://mon.irishbroadband.ie download the 25mb file take a screen shot on the last screen and e-mail it in to them.
    It will speed up the process a bit also mention u were on the roof and notices trees in ur los

• Advertisement

about the pings...

1. open a Command Prompt
    2. type: ipconfig /all
    3. note the numbers for "Default Gateway" IP number
    4. note the "DNS Servers" IP number
    5. type : ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xx..xx.xx being the Gateway or DNS IPs)

note the "time" on each ping... if it's less than 30ms then it's OK.

Thanks guys I'll try that.

Tried the ping test several times and got very variable results so its looking like the radio link is up and down. Scheduling is supposed to call me today to get someone out to have a look so heres hoping.

Thanks for all the help guys

Surprise of all surprises, engineer arrived on time and change me to a different section of antennas at the uplink site, seems to be much improved.

Tony

Cool...

Keep us informed if things stay reliable or if they degrade again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

when using ping like that you should really use
    ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -l1000
    this gives a nice big packet of 1000
    ping on its own send a small packet and consequently may report faster response times
    the -l gives a more accurate reading

and there was me thinking that small packets were good for pings, as it meant that you would get the fastest reply possible, which is what a ping SHOULD return...

Hi guys, have not had any problems since, downloads nice quite so fast as my old NTL service but its a big relief to be connected all the time . I'll post again if anything happens.

Thanks for all the help

just wait for a few weeks (2 to 4) and tell us again....

anyway, now you know the place to rant and rave (and also praise) about IBB.

• Advertisement

Sure will, the engineer (Martin) told me the 3 guys to talk to are Eamonn, Paul or Seth, hopefully no on else will need to call.

Tony

Advertisement