Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc A class - 2 buy/not 2 buy

Options
  • 25-06-2004 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Ok some of you may know I'm on the hunt for a 1.4 car, so was looking at focus astra etc... but somebody mentioned the merc A class and aside from the ability to answer the "what do you drive ?" question with "Merc" was wonderin if anyone had first hand experience of one and if they were any good... was thinking they could be a good buy due to build quality (is servicing expensive?) and fact new A140 coming out at start of next year according to Top Gear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

oh yeah and I know about the ELK test when the car was first introduced and it flipped over! however thats apparently been rectified with ESP and traction control....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drove a A 170 CDI LWB as a rental car and had mixed feelings about that. The package was interesting and different and the rear leg room behind myself (well over 6 foot) was fantastic (similar to S-class). I found the handling good but the drive dull although the car had good poke, probably due to turbo diesel torque

Not typical Merc build quality either and expect high servicing costs from the dealer. Depreciation is low but expect people's reaction to change a bit if after you told them you own a merc, they find out it's an A-class ;)

Best car if you need to carry four people and it has to be a 1.4 would be the Skoda Octavia imho. Go test drive one and you won't be disappointed although performance isn't there obviously in a 1.4 75bhp petrol family size car

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the ex got one a couple of years back and i have to say i really liked it. Loads of room. Aswell as that if a situation ever comes up where you have to carry any sort of load, the floor is a flatbed if u get my meaning. The Back seats come out completely (and the passenger seat afaik) so your left with a one or two seat van basically, V handy. Theres a 60/40 split in the rear so u can take one or two rear seats out, depending on how many people you have. i liked driving it, found it smooth and powerfull enough. Funnily enough, girls seem to respond to anything with a merc badge, i remember getting a few looks on my way through town in my suit (on the way to an interview) so its seems a merc is a merc. Overall i have to say i really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

My wife has a 99 A140 for the last three months, She loves it and I even drive it, She finds it good on long journeys and the high driving position is brilliant. It has all the electrics you want.

Advertisement