Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom internet gone really slow?

Options
  • 25-06-2004 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭

My Eircom internet connection has suddenly gotten really slow these last couple of days. It's so slow that it's just about unusable. For instance, it takes about 10 minutes to load the boards homepage. If I connect using IOL free (which I'm using right now) things are grand. So obviously the problem is with the ISP rather than with my line or modem etc.

I'd continue using IOL free except I'm subscribed to the Eircom flattrate package which costs around 30 quid per month. No point in paying that if I can't avail of it.

Has anyone else here had a problem with their eircom net connection in the last day or two?

BrianD3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

I can't connect to it at all today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Same here. It was fine this morning, i did connect fine a 9-11. It went down around 12.

Anyone got any idea whats wrong on the server side?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I couldn't connect this morning either. It's back now but it's still painfully slow. So slow that IE won't load any webpages (even small ones) I clicked on the connection icon in the system tray and it seems to be receiving only around 50 bytes per second.

But here's the strange part. If I use Netscape as my browser instead of my usual IE 5, the pages load normally. And using Netscape I'm receiving around 4 Kbytes per second.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? To sum up: both Netscape and IE work fine when I'm connected to IOL Free. But if I connect to Eircom net, Netscape works fine but IE is so slow that it is unusable.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

It is slow, but still usable. I used it fine with firefox, dunno about IE as i newer use it(+ i have to reboot from freebsd). Downloads are slow too, on my old 34k serial modem, which i got working on unices, sometimes it drops to 1.5kb/sec. Usual is around 3kb/sec.

If it aint fixed by monday, i will call tech support to see whats wrong.

Advertisement