Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Service Pack 2: PROBLEM!

Options
  • 25-06-2004 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

yo,
    i have had Windows XP running on my pc for the last few das perfectly, without any service packs (I am not on the internet on that pc).
    I just installed service pack 2 from a CD today.
    I keep my pc protected using Zone Alarm for a firewall (I know, it's stupid because I'm not online on the pc, yet.. but I will be, soon enough, hopefully) and Norton AntiVirus 2004...
    After installing service pack 2 (btw I'm using XP Pro), I rebooted, and the Windows Security Window thing came up... I closed it and rebooted again..
    Since then I cannot open it again (to disable the firewall and antivirus stuff), nor can I open up any of the window things in Control Panel..
    The pc is running seriously SLOW!
    It was running perfectly before installing the service pack..
    Anyone know what I should do?
    (btw, just today (before installing the service pack), I overclocked my 2600+ (2.08ghz) chip to 3200+ (2.3ghz), but Windows was running alright after that)
    Thanks

[EDIT]
    just noticed that i cant run any programs, and i have reset my cpu to its original clock..
    cant even shut down windows :s
    [/EDIT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

i got it fixed at last..
    thanks to Dempsey and Truckle on #tech.ie!
    :D
    booted in safe mode and ran that system restore thing that i once taut was useless..
    lucky, when i installed sp2, it setup a system restore point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is service pack 2 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I would always wait until the final release of a service pack (and then a week or so in case horror stories start to appear).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I've been running SP2 for a few weeks now with no problems whatsoever. It's pretty super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by PiE
    It's pretty super.

Can I have some of the drugs you're on, please?

You consider a service pack beta to be super? Please elaborate? Does it improve your spelling? Your grammar perhaps? Does it stop Internet Explorer catching trojans? Does it make you toasted sambos? Does it make you fill all wibbly inside? Does it make your OS usable within 20 seconds of login? Does it disable all unnecessary services for the aveage user? Does it get rid of the Fisher Price theme? Does it make scanners that worked for win95 up to and including w2k suddenly work in XP when they refuse to before now? Does it stop you logging in as admin unless you "Really ****ing Need To" TM? Please explain further what makes a beta second service pack so essential that it'll be hard live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by hostyle

Does it stop Internet Explorer catching trojans?
    - Get an anti-virus.

Does it make you toasted sambos? - only if you're using a Prescot processor, or have your machine overclocked.

Does it make you fill all wibbly inside? - You need a new monitor, if your service pack 1 makes you feel that way.

Does it make your OS usable within 20 seconds of login? - Windows Xp Pro Sp1 - Works 5 seconds after login, apps that load are norton antivirus 2003, norton firewall, pcalert 4, spybot search and destroy resident protector, network and nvidia icon. 5 ****ing seconds oh no what will i do!

Does it disable all unnecessary services for the aveage user? - Nobody cares.

Does it get rid of the Fisher Price theme? - GSS and find out how to use the control panel. That funny looking start button, click that, now go to settings, now control panel, now have a look around for sounds and volume, open that, now click the sounds tab, give that a click, omg, what's that, you can change or disable the sounds things make, that's amazing!

Does it make scanners that worked for win95 up to and including w2k suddenly work in XP when they refuse to before now? - pfft, things change, get used to it.

Does it stop you logging in as admin unless you "Really ****ing Need To" TM? - At work and at home, I'm the admin, people that don't know how to use computers shouldn't have access to vital settings, thus the admin feature!

Please explain further what makes a beta second service pack so essential that it'll be hard live without. - nobody ever said it would be hard to live without.

If it bothers you that bloody much, switch to linux and then bitch if you can't get compatable drivers for your scanner that you were using with windows 95.

Somebody obviously doesn't like windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by BoB_BoT ...

I had a nice long factual retort all ready to post but decided it wasn't worth breaking the forum charter and getting banned. But in my mind whatever credibility you may claim to have as an "admin" is greatly reduced by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I didn't mean I was an administrator, I mean the admin account is used by me. You havn't poked any holes in my statement, all you have is "But in my mind whatever credibility you may claim to have as an "admin" is greatly reduced by your post." Oh no I'm hurt. Also if your "factual retort" was indeed factual feel free to pm it to me.

You're just another one of these whiney twats that bitches about windows and isn't willing to do anything about it. Here's a thought, what are the service packs for? Humm that's right to fix bugs and exploits. If people were really bothered i'm sure exploits could be found in just about any version of Linux.

Sorry to the mods if i'm flamming or trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Saucer of milk for table two, meow!

Issue corrected, I think we can do without the catfight.

adam

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement