Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring Modified Cars

Options
  • 26-06-2004 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'd like to find out what insurance companies insure modified cars. Any suggestions?
    The car is a mini cooper (classic shape) with modded infection system, supercharger, uprated suspension, brakes, exhaust...the list goes on...you name it, it's modified (150bhp). I'm currently insured in this car in England for £420 fully comp (I know...) - I'm 26 with two years no claims. What are my chances in Ireland:rolleyes:

Ruatha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Ruatha
    with modded infection system

Wouldn't think they'll insure a terrorist ;)

Seriously I don't know but ring around. Carole Nash might sort you out but expect an enormous quote :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

yes an infection system might be useful, but I meant "injection" of course:rolleyes:
    Thanks, I'll give CN a try

R

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Axa won't quote any modifcations made to the engine/bhp of the car. No exceptions. That's what they told me anyway.
    FBD take it on a case by case basis. I currently trying to get my car insured with them with modifcations to the bhp. Will let ya know how I get on.

On a side note....just to show the value of shopping around on insurance..
    I was insured with AXA for €2900 last year. My insurance is up next week. They are now quoting me €2500 to renew with them. I tried Quinn Direct who quoted me €1800. I then tried FBD - they quoted me €1675!! Nearly a thousand cheaper than AXA and €100 cheaper than Quinn Direct. Hibernian and the AA wouldn't give me a quote. Them quotes are all fully comp.
    I'm 25 with 1 years no claims (and a few years as named driver) and drive a Golf 1.9tdi 110bhp. So, make sure ye try everyone when it's time to renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Just got word back from FBD. They will insure the modifcation for a few dollars more. The modification is an increase of 30bhp.

However, it is done on a case by case basis so they might not insure the likes of your car with all the mods you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Is there any way you can keep the UK insurance while driving here?
    I seriously doubt that you'll get anything close to that price over here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

I'm currently enquiring about keeping the UK insurance while in Ireland, but I think you can usually only get a couple of months at a time.
    I know I won't get near what I'm paying at the moment if I use an Irish company. With the mini in the UK, you can be a member of a mini club and that brings your premium down even more.
    The car is being supercharged soon (with a BMW mini supercharger :cool: ) so I called my insurers to see what the increase would be, I was expecting at least a couple of hundred squid and was pleasently surprised that I was only to be charged £50 for my trouble:D Not bad considering I'll be gaining about 50bhp and oodles of torque!

Ruatha :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by Ruatha
    I'm currently enquiring about keeping the UK insurance while in Ireland, but I think you can usually only get a couple of months at a time.

Are you worried about keeping comprehensive, or even fire/theft cover?

As far as legally mandated liability insurance goes, English policies have to cover you for driving in any EU country, no time limits or extra premiums. Technically you're suposed to be living at the UK address, but of course if ever you were unlucky enough to need to claim, as far as they're concerned you were just visiting family back home Ireland. ;)

Advertisement