Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy a Car

Options
  • 26-06-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just moved over from the UK, and need to get a car. I quite mechanically minded so need some info that I can't seem to find

1. NCT Emissions:
    In the UK up to mid '92 3% CO is permited, from mid '92 upto 0.5% CO, is that the same with the NCT here?
    2. Cats:
    When did they come in, ideally want to get a car without one, because the chances are it will have died.
    3. The actual car.
    Like I say I'm quite mechanically minded so don't want french or Italian and probably most Jap cars because they are complex to work on and I'm guessing expensive for parts. So something simple like an Opel Kadett/Astra, where is the best place then to find a <'92 Opel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Above .3 is a fail if I remember - I could be wrong.

You'll find plenty of astras on http://www.autotrader.ie

Dunno when they started putting cats on astras, but it'll probably have been a long time ago... Still a cat should last 100-120000 miles anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

most Jap cars because they are complex to work on and I'm guessing expensive for parts.

I never had any problems with parts fo jap cars and dealers do charge mad money anyway. Some german cars will have to go long way to match jap quality(talking mechanical finish not Interior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Thanks for the info.
    Also found loads of cars on www.buyandsell.ie
    Anyone got more info on the actual emissions levels and when Cats became a legal requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

It's funny as i have taken out at least 6 cats from different jap cars and no problems with nct , all well bellow the mark.

I don't think there is anything legal on converters stating that if your car was factory fitted with cat , it has be always there and you will fail NCT if unit was removed.

Once you meet emission requirement it shouldn't make any difference.

You will not get away with removing cat on every car as some of the models are really bad on emissions even with fully functional cat. Don't' mention citroens

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Don't' mention citroens

Tell me about it :) Dunno what they do to their ECUs, or cats...

• Advertisement
Advertisement