Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys signal dropping

• 26-06-2004 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have a linksys WAG54G which works fine but is dropping the signal every 15 mins or so and then reconnecting?

Any idea how to prevent this?

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Are you running XP? Is Broadcast ESSID on or off?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Have a look on the Linksys forum on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk - this seems to be a common issue with the wag54g - solutions offered include

- go either b or g but not mixed (made no diff for me),
    - allow SSID to be broadcast (no diff)
    - change firmware up or down (or sideways) (no diff for me)
    - registry hack (no diff)
    - turn off dect equipment (not a blessed change),
    - put a fan over the unit (lmust try - the device does get quite hot..)
    - if using XP stop the wireless zero config service and don't let it use 802.11x (no diff)

- put the router in a convenient lcoation so that you can easily reach it to power cycle !

To add to the above:

I put a wee processor fan blowing aire across the top of the WAG54g and it has cooled it down considerably - still don't know if its making much diff regarding drops but it can't do any harm (other than to the ESB bill..)

I have the same prob. Upgraded the firmware didn't seem to make much difference.

The only thing I can trace it to is my wireless card (3com office connect)
    It seems when I have my laptop plugged in the signal doesn't drop at all.

Well I have a laptop (downstairs) with a 54mb Cisco 350.. and the desktop upstairs has a54mb Cisco PCI and in my case the connection drops on both of them.

In your case I defintiely suggest looking at another card for test purposes if you can get your hands on one..

Funnily enough I use the Cisco in my PC because its aerial is on a lead and cnd be placed high up rather than the Linksys card which has the aerial attached and would therefore be underneath the desk with possible reception problems..

• Advertisement

Well I solved my problem.

I had the same, my wireless card had difficulty picking up a signal and when it did it dropped it for very short periods( milliseconds). Or just dropped it altogether.

I tryed my card (the 3com office connect 3crshpw796) with a different wrtg4g
    and the same thing.

I tryed an orinoco card, *poof* all problems gone.
    So I know there is either a problem with my 3com card or my 3com card is incompatible with the wrt54g.

I recommend any one who has problems try differenent wireless card and routers together and identify the faulty component.

Good Luck!

There is new firmware out for the WAG54g - v1.02.3 which I downloaded and then did a reset and the situation is excellent now - no more disconnects..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

parisi

linksys site shows 1.02.1 as the latest version of firmware.

how did you know if its annex A version or Annex b version?

Thks

Originally posted by Buzz_Irl
    parisi

linksys site shows 1.02.1 as the latest version of firmware.

how did you know if its annex A version or Annex b version?

Thks

The linksys forums at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk have the downlaod or the link to it - its actually got by ftp'ing to the Linksys site rather than the firmware page. If you can't get it let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Annex A is for analogue lines and Annex B is for ADSL over ISDN (or summat like that) - A is what Ireland/Uk use

One thing I noticed is that the device runs significantly cooler with the new firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

thks for that - have upgraded firmware - hopefully it will work

that forum looks really good...

• Advertisement

yip - well worth keeping an eye on when difficulties arise

Advertisement