Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush filmed in underwear in Dromoland

Options
  • 26-06-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Anybody got a link to the image that they've done their utmost to ensure hasn't been broadcast?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3842335.stm

Bush filmed in underwear in Dromoland
    When the US president arranged a visit to Ireland in an election year he wanted to make sure the folks back home could see him - but not dressed in a vest.

And that is why there was a wave of international censorship after George W Bush appeared at the window of an Irish castle wearing a white undergarment, rather than his traditional shirt and tie.

It may have been bedtime, but the president was wide awake to the potential public relations dangers.

After spotting the camera, he quickly backtracked, and allowed one of his aides to open the bedroom window instead.

'Best vest man'

It was too late. The cameraman had got the shot - George W Bush as you have never seen him before, in a vest, about to go to bed, at Dromoland Castle in County Clare on the west coast of Ireland.

Rather than being known as "America's best dressed man," he could now be labelled "America's best vest man".

The person behind the lens was not a member of the paparazzi, it was the host broadcaster - and that meant the pictures were shared with media outlets around the world.

The feeding frenzy did not last long. Within minutes, broadcasters were being ordered not to use the pictures, even though they were the most original images of the day.

A hastily written memo was delivered to all broadcasters, including the BBC.

"These pictures are the property of the Irish presidency and must not be used for transmission by any service," it said.

Just in case anyone was thinking of ignoring the instruction, it was written in bold, with capital letters and underlined.

It was too late for some broadcasters, who had excitedly rushed to air with the pictures of the blushing Mr Bush.

The authorities were not amused, and apparently made their feelings known to the cameraman involved.

"He'll probably be sent to Guantanamo Bay now," joked a fellow cameraman.

Cool welcome

The atmosphere surrounding this visit is very different to previous presidential trips to Ireland.

Everything has been done with military precision, with no time for pressing the flesh and meeting the Irish people.

It was not like this when Bill Clinton used to come here: he always made a point of arriving early and leaving late.

With an estimated 40 million Irish Americans in the US, the journey from the White House to the Emerald Isle is a well-worn path.

Back in the 1960s, John F Kennedy, was welcomed with the sort of enthusiasm usually reserved for a pop star.

The receptions for Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan were less exuberant, but warm nonetheless.

The welcome for Mr Bush has been cooler, which, I suppose, makes his appearance in public wearing only a vest all the more surprising.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Knowing Bush the real embarassment came from him hitting the sack at four in the afternoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I think Bush likes to work on his ranch in Texas cutting back mesquite bushes and I wouldn't be hugely surprised to hear that he takes off his shirt and works in tee shirt (a.k.a. "vest"), jeans and boots when the going gets hot and sweaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by TomF
    I wouldn't be hugely surprised to hear that he takes off his shirt and works in tee shirt (a.k.a. "vest"), jeans and boots when the going gets hot and sweaty.

Oooooh stop that now missus! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Irish and US government had it censored. Although it did appear in the star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

castle.jpg

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted
    These Pictures are property of the irish presidency...

Jeez, she must be desperate, .........god i feel sad, our president owns pix of bush in underwear......

*sob*

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The person behind the lens was not a member of the paparazzi, it was the host broadcaster - and that meant the pictures were shared with media outlets around the world.

Parhaps RTE were looking for revenge for that cancelled interview... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Irish and US government had it censored. Although it did appear in the star.

The red top gutter press love this type of news fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

that mister burns song is in my head now - see my vest, see my vest. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The papers stated that the Americans were furrous with the picture being taken of Bush. They said if a camera man could take that shot, so to could a sniper. Looks like all that money spent on security didnt do its a job and the government botched it all up.

that interview made some of the american papers
    www.washingtonpost.com
    First lady Laura Bush canceled an interview with Carol Coleman, a reporter for Radio and Television Ireland who told the president during an interview on the eve of his visit that the world "is more dangerous" because of the war in Iraq. Bush repeatedly scolded Coleman for interrupting him. Coleman said on Irish radio that the interview was canceled because the White House is not used to aggressive questioning. White House press secretary Scott McClellan confirmed the interview

Before leaving Washington, Bush was challenged during an interview with Radio and Television Ireland on his claim that the invasion made the world safer and that "a free Iraq is going to be a necessary part of changing the world."

The interviewer, Carol Coleman, asked, "Why is it that others don't understand what you're about?"

"I don't know," Bush said. "History will judge what I'm about. . . . I don't really try to chase . . . popularity polls. My job is to do my job and make the decisions that I think are important for our country and for our world."

They were also well pissed with RTE and its micky mouse interviews...Lets all hope the americans forget all this and keep sending the dollars over.

God Bless America

• Advertisement

So did anyone actually get the picture? It exists in public domain. Has to be the best censored picture of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by whosurpaddy:

that mister burns song is in my head now - see my vest, see my vest. . . .
    Damn you... now I've got that song in my head too.

Some men hunt for sport,
    Others hunt for food,
    The only thing I'm hunting for,
    Is an outfit that looks good...

See my vest, see my vest,
    Made from real gorilla chest,
    Feel this sweater, there's no better,
    Than authentic Irish setter.

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
    My evening wear - vampire bat,
    These white slippers are albino
    African endangered rhino.

Grizzly bear underwear,
    Turtles' necks, I've got my share,
    Beret of poodle, on my noodle
    It shall rest,

Try my red robin suit,
    It comes one breast or two,
    See my vest, see my vest,
    See my vest.

Like my loafers? Former gophers -
    It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
    But a greyhound fur tuxedo
    Would be best,

So let's prepare these dogs,

Mrs. Potts: Kill two for matching clogs,

Burns: See my vest, see my vest,
    Oh please, won't you see my vest.

I also saw that Bush interview with Prime Time and have rarely seen such blatant condescension in an interview as Bush exhibited towards Carol.

If the American public wises up George Bush might have to get used to taking his clothes off in public. On second thoughts, I'm not sure whether that is worse than the slew of wars he started.

These Pictures are property of the irish presidency...

And what belongs to the presidency, also belongs to the state. So surely us Irish people should be allowed to view these sordid pictures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by dod
    Anybody got a link to the image that they've done their utmost to ensure hasn't been broadcast?

EDonkey RealMedia clip here:

ed2k://|file|George W. Bush in wifebeater undershirt in Ireland.rm|3873931|0192e9aba07d359bff7c540744abe146|/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    The papers stated that the Americans were furrous with the picture being taken of Bush. They said if a camera man could take that shot, so to could a sniper. Looks like all that money spent on security didnt do its a job and the government botched it all up.
    That's just silly. It wasn't a papparazzi shot; it was an RTE cameraman. I doubt any of them were allowed to bring sniper rifles in with them.

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    EDonkey RealMedia clip here:

ed2k://|file|George W. Bush in wifebeater undershirt in Ireland.rm|3873931|0192e9aba07d359bff7c540744abe146|/

Anything else linkable which isn't an evil realmedia file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

There was a vested Bush on the front page of yesterday's Sunday World, didn't look to see if it was real or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well either way, that picture was taken, much to the anger of the americans

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder who will run the investigation?

I think if he has a problem with being photographed in a vest then he shouldn't wander around with the curtains open.

Fabricated non-story tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Victor
    I wonder who will run the investigation?

I think we have a vested interest in seeing those photographs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bertie thinks he's "fit". Fnnnnaarrrr.

'Fit' Bush vest pics a mistake, says Ahern

Advertisement