Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[request] cheap phonecalls

• 26-06-2004 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I want to ring the usa and i'm currently using century callcards, anything better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Check telestunt

Call the US for the price of a local call...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where's the catch? There has to be something. Calling the US on a 1890 number?

Are there extra charges, or something? I am very paranoid about things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Where's the catch?

None as far as I can see. Been using this for calls to France, and just got my last 'phone bill. Total: 124 minutes at Eircom's local rate... :)

I just hope they don't "pull" this — it's obviously worked by bulk-bought VoIP minutes, but I still can't see how they make a profit on this (and yes, don't mind the bull**** on the website about "commissions" from Eircom — this is clearly a loss-leader from Telestunt...

Long may it last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Jeez.

1.26c a minute to an Irish Mobile from an Irish Land line at the weekend (Sat and Sun) . I tested it and it worked.

There is NO catch, you may only be billed for the call to an 0818 number or an 1890 number. The call from the secondary dialtone (a voice prompt) is free once you pay for that . 0818 numbers do pay a commission from Eircom.

http://www.telestunt.ie/accessnumbers.php#I

(also note the bottom of that page)

M

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That looks damn sexy altogether.
    Thanks fuse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

there HAS to be a catch, ok i'll use it but so help me god!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

O2 have blocked the 1890 number!

They say that Telestunt have not reached an agreement with them about using it, so it's blocked.

Anyone on Vodafone tried it? I am considering changing networks anyhow.

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I suppose that someone's checked both his own phone bill *and* the bill of the person he's ringing, to make sure that only the caller is charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

And does anyone speak German? There's loads of stuff on Google, but I don't know what it's saying about Telestunt because it's all auf Deutsch.

i speak german, show me etc and ill translate god i hope its legit cos if not my bill will be a few hundred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by luckat
    And does anyone speak German? There's loads of stuff on Google, but I don't know what it's saying about Telestunt because it's all auf Deutsch.

Use Altavista Babel Fish to translate, it's pretty good you can translate web pages or text with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Englische Seite Hier

M

Just discovered this little setup on PocketPCthoughts.com. It's VOIP, but it allows 100 free minutes a month to the US and select countries during the beta period.

You need a sip client which is the VOIP software. Then you get yourself a US landline number through these guys. You can then make up to 100 minutes worth of calls through your PC (quality is perfect, my humble Axim X5 is not so perfect) to normal US landlines and certain countries.

An excellent feature is under the accounts page, it lets you see how many free minutes you have left.

I rang a mobile in brazil and i was told that it will cost 35 cent a minute, i then rang a mobile in the usa and no warning came up, does this mean that the usa mobile is charged at local rate or......

Originally posted by ronano
    I rang a mobile in brazil and i was told that it will cost 35 cent a minute, i then rang a mobile in the usa and no warning came up, does this mean that the usa mobile is charged at local rate or......

Most USA mobiles do not have a dedicated mobile prefix - they usually have a normal area code, so are not identifiable as a mobile phone.

Ro

:O still doesn't answer my question*

*goes site hunting

does this mean that the usa mobile is charged at local rate or......

If you are in the same area code as a mobile, then yes, it is a local call.

My landline (123) XXX XXXX
    Friends mobile (123) XXX XXXX
    Other friends landline (456) XXX XXX

Call from me->friend's mobile = Free (same area code, therefore local call, therefore free)

Other friend->friend's mobile = Not Free (different area code, therefore not local call, therefore not free)

Calls from one area code to another are treated as long distance, irrespecitve of whether the receiving phone is a mobile phone or not.

Now, does that answer your question? :D

fking hell not really, im in ireland shes in alabama, am i screwed or not ? :P i checked on the site and it says mobile local calls, i'll re-read your post, thanks :P

*edit*

ok so i read the post again and it seems or else im stupid(well i am stupid but i blame these long lazy summer days) but that you are talking about american set up as opposed to ireland-america

ok so i read the post again and it seems or else im stupid(well i am stupid but i blame these long lazy summer days) but that you are talking about american set up as opposed to ireland-america

Yes, I am talking about an American setup. However, if you sign up with the details above, you get and American number (yes, a real American telephone number!), no matter where you are.

For 100 minutes a month (while the software is in beta, I presume) you can ring ANY number in the US for free.

So, the setup is you connect to the Interweb. You set up your VOIP software and then call the number in the US, not matter where it is, and no matter where you are (i.e. Ireland).

Oh now i see what you are on about, i was always referring to the cheap phone site telestunt as op[posed to your dealo, thanks

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Just discovered this little setup on PocketPCthoughts.com. It's VOIP, but it allows 100 free minutes a month to the US and select countries during the beta period.

You need a sip client which is the VOIP software. Then you get yourself a US landline number through these guys. You can then make up to 100 minutes worth of calls through your PC (quality is perfect, my humble Axim X5 is not so perfect) to normal US landlines and certain countries.

An excellent feature is under the accounts page, it lets you see how many free minutes you have left.

How do you find the quality?

It seems significantly worse than Skype to me.

Ro

Originally posted by Ro-76
    It seems significantly worse than Skype to me.

On the laptop (P4 with 512Mb Ram, Windows XP) - it's perfect, though I have been told by people I am calling that they would notice an ever so slight lower call quality, but no delay whatsoever.

On the PDA (Axim X5) - it's crap. No easier way to say it. In fact, it even hangs up the PDA needing a soft reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Century access is quite good, just dial 0818272272 an then put in the internationa l number you want (not ireland :() and it's only 25c a min all the time and 30cent a min from mobile.

not the best rates but no cards,pins and all that lark.

Advertisement