Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McAleese meets Bush

Options
  • 26-06-2004 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

From RTE site

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0626/ncaleese.html

"The President, Mary McAleese, paid a courtesy call on Mr Bush this morning."

Why on earth is OUR president going to meet him. Does protocol not dictate it should be the other way around?

Have some dignity woman and not go running to monkey boy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

what i wonder is what exactly do they say when they claim that they've spoken about the abuses and conveyed their displeasure?

"o bush you bold boy, o hi laura nice dress"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Maybe they can discuss how few were protesting.

Support has really dwindled with regard to these marchs.

Rallying under a "Stop Bush Campaign" banner, the crowd of about 10,000 waved signs denouncing Bush
    the Garda Siochana, formed a cordon about 100 yards from the airport entrance and blocked about 1,200 protesters.

11200 Protesters?
    Thousands of left-wing activists marched through the Irish capital yesterday to protest the arrival of President Bush for a brief summit with European Union chiefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

shoudl i even respond ou know as well as me cork that protests have dwindled all over the world and is to be expected seeing that the images are somewhat off our screens, and people think that the offensive is over... you can only have 100,000 thousand protest...

anyway what do you reckon cork mcaleese said to bush

I am not a fly on the wall or I don't have access to bugging equipment.

But I am Sure our President talked to Geoge Bush about the situation in Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

or maybe she was informed she should talk about what Bertie was wearing at the G8 sumit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Absolutely, there were way more than 10,000 in Dublin.

Bush was tolerated by the ruling class of Ireland against the wishes of the majority of the people to keep economic relations with the U.S. sweet.

Remember when the Shannon issue was first brought up? It was suggested that the U.S. would change it's economic policies to restrict American business from inverting in Ireland?

That to me is a threat:
    'Let us land our planes and support out illegal war or we'll use our cripple your country economically'

Now, The US War in Iraq is illegal. George Bush, as leader is no less than a war criminal.

Would you invite a criminal who has threatened you 'round for tea and scones?...

'...Oh by the way honey, you'll never guess who I bumped into today? Convicted serial killer and child molester Mark Dutroux! He threatened to rape and kill us if we didn't invite him round for a cuppa tea and a chat', best put the kettle on love, don't forget the jaffacakes!.'

We are the bad guys to allow such injustice to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by alleepally
    Why on earth is OUR president going to meet him. Does protocol not dictate it should be the other way around?

Can you imagine how much of a security force it would take to get GWB from Dromoland castle to Áras an Uachtaráin :eek: I think enough enough taxpayers Euros have already been wasted on this muppet/criminal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Cork
    I don't have access to bugging equipment.
    You ARE bugging equipment sweetie. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Now, The US War in Iraq is illegal. George Bush, as leader is no less than a war criminal.

Then every single member of NATO are war crinimals, from their horrificly illegal decision to invade Serbia without a UN Security Council resolution, and against the wishes of so many UN members. How long before Schroeder and Chirac are before the court in The Hauge awaiting trial for their crimes of aggression? Perhaps Ireland should refuse to allow these known war crinimals to visit Ireland - we should call for their removal from the EU and actively campaign for it.
    We are the bad guys to allow such injustice to prevail.

You know - I agree. Perhaps that the line Bush should have taken when he decided to invade Iraq. That were the bad guys to allow such injustice as Saddams to prevail, that sanctions are killing 4500 kids a month, and have killed well over a million Iraqis since their imposition and cant be justifed anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by fragile
    Can you imagine how much of a security force it would take to get GWB from Dromoland castle to Áras an Uachtaráin :eek: I think enough enough taxpayers Euros have already been wasted on this muppet/criminal

Agreed, but would the British Queen travel to see Bush if he visited UK. Bush would respect her position and do the travelling. That's the point. She shouldn't have bothered going near him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Agreed, but would the British Queen travel to see Bush if he visited UK. Bush would respect her position and do the travelling. That's the point. She shouldn't have bothered going near him

The President is surposed to boycott bush?

But the protesters have a legitimate right to protest.

Bush did not get sight or sound of the protestors.

But our President discussed the Iraq issue with Bush.

This is a no brainer - the President was right to meet the head of the United States. She articulated Irish concerns regarding Iraq.

The protestors only managed to get damp.

Originally posted by daveirl
    But when Bush did stay in Buck palace it required almost a complete shut down of vast swathes of London. Look how pissed off people got over parts of Care being shutdown. If Bush stayed in Arás An tUachtarain how much would people have freaked out.

That's not the point. I maintain the view that it is the visiting head of state who should pay the courtesy call on our president, not the other way around. A small matter perhaps but gives the impression that we go running to our new colonial master.... I don't like it.

A 2 hour visit to the Aras wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the traffic chaos in Dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Particularily if they flew him in and landed in the flowerbed...

The President is surposed to boycott bush?

But the protesters have a legitimate right to protest.

Bush did not get sight or sound of the protestors.

But our President discussed the Iraq issue with Bush.

This is a no brainer - the President was right to meet the head of the United States. She articulated Irish concerns regarding Iraq.

The protestors only managed to get damp.

Didn't say the president should boycott Bush. I refer you to my last post to daveirl.

Yes, of course the President of Ireland should meet the President of the United States and accord him the respect of office as representative of his people BUT BUT BUT he is in OUR country and he should pay the courtesy call and respect the office of OUR president....

So, If GW met people at camp David - He would be insulting them as he should really meet them in the White House.

So, the Pope met people at his Summer Residence - He would be insulting them as he should really meet them in the Vatican.

Talk about Splitting hairs.

So, If GW met people at camp David - He would be insulting them as he should really meet them in the White House.

So, the Pope met people at his Summer Residence - He would be insulting them as he should really meet them in the Vatican.

Talk about Splitting hairs.

HELLLOOOO Cork, try reading this very carefully OK?

I will make this easy for you so you can understand my point.....

Mary McAleese travelled FROM her location TO the location of a foreign head of state.

One would expect the foreign head of state visiting this country to travel FROM their location TO the location of OUR head of state (be it the Aras or Donegal or wherever the president might be at that time) as a courtesy call, NOT the other way around.

Did you get that? good.

If out president articulated Irish concerns regarding Iraq she'd have told him to go f*** himself when asked to pop down for a visit. Cork is a member of a minority of irish people who love Bush, why don't you just marry him?

Bush was tolerated by the ruling class of Ireland against the wishes of the majority of the people to keep economic relations with the U.S. sweet

sorry to get sidetracked, but who are the ruling class in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Not you or me, that's for sure, the only way you will ever get your opinion expressed by the leadership of this country is to change your opinion to co-inside with theirs. FF/PDs represent middle/upper classes who benifet most from ecnomic recovery, where the working class are left to foot the bill. We just paid over 3 million euro to let a war criminal insult our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by Spacedog
    FF/PDs represent middle/upper classes who benifet most from ecnomic recovery, where the working class are left to foot the bill. We just paid over 3 million euro to let a war criminal insult our country.

Dont the middle/upper class in this country also pay tax, meaning we all paid the bill?

I agree on the war criminal bit, does that mean im not a terrorist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork is a member of a minority of irish people who love Bush, why don't you just marry him?
    Bush isn't into the whole gay marriage thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Did she?

Well, gee whizz, don't expect a FF'er to do anything other than tow the party line.

Don't put her in the same catagory as Mary Robison just because by some bizarre coinsidence she's called Mary, a woman, and the President of the Republic of Ireland.

Just remember folks...you voted for her.

Oh yes, you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DublinWriter
    Don't put her in the same catagory as Mary Robison just because by some bizarre coinsidence she's called Mary,
    I had actually forgotten her first name. :eek:

Mary, you need to work the PR.

Originally posted by DublinWriter
    Did she?

Well, gee whizz, don't expect a FF'er to do anything other than tow the party line.

Don't put her in the same catagory as Mary Robison just because by some bizarre coinsidence she's called Mary, a woman, and the President of the Republic of Ireland.

Just remember folks...you voted for her.

Oh yes, you did!

The official title is "President of Ireland". There is no such office or title as "President of the Republic of Ireland"..

The official title is "President of Ireland". There is no such office or title as "President of the Republic of Ireland"..

Unionists won't like that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bit late to start complaining now - Article 12 of that little blue book has referred to the "President of Ireland" since 1937 (before there was a description of "Republic of Ireland", hell, back when the book was green as well).

Still, better late than pregnant, as the local wags might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They don't seem to mind, given that McAleese is from Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Really? I couldn't care less if the official title was 'Grand Poobah of the Known Universe', I was descibing the job.

Unless N.I. was made part of the ROI in the last 12 hours since my original posting, I think it's fair to say that she is actually President of the Republic of Ireland.

Advertisement