Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto problem

Options
  • 26-06-2004 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Any mechanical minded people here? :)

My punto has a couple of "issues", and before I bring it to a mechanic Id like your thoughts on the problems. Its a 1998 1.2l 16v by the way.

Anytime I accelerate, there is a pretty loud rattling that goes away as the engine tone drops. Someone told me it could be a faulty cataletic convertor(sp?).. How much is it for a new or replacement convertor?

Also, there is a high pitched noise coming from underneath the car that seems to be close to the fuel pump.

Has anyone here ever come across or better still, fixed these problems?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Think I remember people complaining about a broken gaurd around the exhaust on another forum which would have been cheap to replace/remove. Forum might have been at fiatforum.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Originally posted by Trotter
    Any mechanical minded people here? :)

My punto has a couple of "issues", and before I bring it to a mechanic Id like your thoughts on the problems. Its a 1998 1.2l 16v by the way.

Anytime I accelerate, there is a pretty loud rattling that goes away as the engine tone drops. Someone told me it could be a faulty cataletic convertor(sp?).. How much is it for a new or replacement convertor?

Also, there is a high pitched noise coming from underneath the car that seems to be close to the fuel pump.

Has anyone here ever come across or better still, fixed these problems?

Cheers!

Engine mounts could be worn, may cause the rattling. Grab the engine and shake it to check for any play.

The second noise could be anything from worn barings, slipping belts or a worn water pump.. Hard to tell without being there :/

Oh and catalytic converters are expensive! Better if that didn't go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hmm... So how much am I looking at for a replacement converter? Including having someone change it?

Could I get on second hand or better still can it be repaired??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

loud rattling and faulty converter doesn't go in pair:)

if I have to pick the number , it will be 500 mark for replacement and fit

How do you mean it dosnt go in pair?

Latest news is a friend of mine looked at it and reckons the rattle is coming from the engine and is too far forward to be the convertor. He suspects a loose exhaust or some exhast related problem up front.

As for the high pitched noise coming from the fuel pump area underneath, thats still a mystery!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Well, i never heard about converter rattling, maybe the exhaust mounting are loose or broken.

Which model of punto you have anyway? I think this will be something else then fuel pump

Its a 1998, 1.2l 16v.. I think its a Punto 85, and its the ELX version.

Advertisement