Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth

Options
  • 27-06-2004 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hell, people asked for one :D

Personally, I think they are one of the best bands around. That's my 2cents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Best thing about Opeth is that they are mostly an anagram of Otep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by hostyle
    Best thing about Opeth is that they are mostly an anagram of Otep :)

Now that's just the most downright disrespectfull thing I've seen on this board.
    Hang your head in shame, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

You're right. I take it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Opeth are defo a good ass kicking band. :)

I really enjoyed the gig and some of the best album for me to listen to. Hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they are amazing. so creative. there is just so many kick ass riffs going on and everything just blends in so well together.

• Advertisement

So, has everyone seen the DVD?
    What did you think of it?

Personally, I thought they really skimped on the older material, but what they did play was impecible. Still though, would anyone else have loved to have seen 'To Bid You Farewell' being played live?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unbelievable band. All that can be said.

The lack of Demon of the Fall on the DVD peeved me off some! ;)

I loved the dvd but im not mad on some of the damntion stuff. its good just not amazing.

about the lack of old material. they played demon of the fall as an encore at the gig but it wasnt included on the dvd. my friends theory was that blackwater park onwards, the band are on the music for nations label and thats why they didnt play any older stuff, becuase the record company would have had to pay royalties to the old record label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

To be honest, I really like Damnation so having the whole album on a DVD is pretty sweet. But yeah, they could have played some better stuff in the second set...like, wtf was White Cluster??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

never heard of opeth
    what are some good songs and albums,
    what type of music is it?

• Advertisement

They're kind of hard to pin down. Think progressive death metal with soft bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

i like decapitated are they like them?
    also is cradle of filth consider death metal, because there albums are like a soundtrack to a epic horror film?

heres a few songs to start with.

the drapery falls
    deliverance
    a fair judgement
    the leper affinity
    demon of the fall

then if youre going for an album I suggest 'blackwater park' first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Yeah To Bid You Farewell would have been excellent to see.To Rid The Disease would have been good also for the acoustic side.

Check out Masters Apprentices also evad_lhorg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by derrylahan
    also is cradle of filth consider death metal, because there albums are like a soundtrack to a epic horror film?
    Nothing like either band there, and Cradle of Filth would be closer to Black Metal than death metal IMO

Opeth are also more of an epic band than either there, with many, MANY songs spanning 10 minutes or more, and some of theirs songs have intro's up to about 7 minutes long (just the intro, listen to 'to bid you farewell' for that one). As for songs to get, my favourites would probably be:

Serenity Painted Death
    Advent
    Demon of the Fall
    Bleak
    To Bid you Farewell
    A Fair Judgement
    The Leper Affinity

The shortest song there is 9:13 mins long, the longest is over 13minutes.

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    I loved the dvd but im not mad on some of the damntion stuff. its good just not amazing.

I loved Damnation, it was Deliverance I wasn't mad on. I'd say that stuff let the side down on the DVD.
    Originally posted by derrylahan

Absolutely nothing like Decapitated. I think calling them Death Metal at all is just a bad comparison, because while they're certainly very heavy at times, there's no band in Death Metal that's even remotely like them, the style of playing and song structure is so far removed from any DM band you could mention.

A better comparison would nearly be bands like Rush or Blue Oyster Cult.

But they really are nearly impossible to compare to mostly anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I got blackwater park and it's class but I don't know which album to check out next what do you's recommend

The older stuff is more heavier but the new stuff has alot of acoustic stuff so it all depends on what your looking for.Give 'My arms your hearse' a try, it was my first Opeth album and it got me hooked.

Originally posted by Buck Owens
    I got blackwater park and it's class but I don't know which album to check out next what do you's recommend

All the other albums, bar Deliverance.

Try Morningrise, it's defintely a favorite of mine.

I dont see what people have against deliverance. the last song isnt great but thats it really. id cheack out my arms your hearse after blackwater park. and then once you get used to the resal heavyness then move onto still life

• Advertisement

I'm not mad on Deliverance because it was just a stale album, it lacked something that was 'Opeth' altogether... It fell into formuliac at best, and that's not a good thing for such an outstandingly original band.

A good album regardless tho karl IMO :)

Master's Apprentices certainly does the trick if I'm game for some headbanging tbh :D

If your up for head banging, cant beat Serenity Painted Death :)

im really lovin white cluster at the moment. the solo is amazing in it. the way they just swap over sounds really cool. and the riff thatgoes with the second and 4th part of the solo is deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    im really lovin white cluster at the moment. the solo is amazing in it. the way they just swap over sounds really cool. and the riff thatgoes with the second and 4th part of the solo is deadly
    Damn right :) That's still my favorite Opeth solo.

To bid you farewell has to be my favourite solo mainly because of the way its executed by easing in and then creating a build up and then releasing it alongside smooth vocals.The funeral portrait has a good riff at the beginning but best solo has to be to bid you farewell purely for its execution,imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

masters app is godlike,shame ya can never get it played by DJ's 10mins long aint so DJ friendly lol but its amazing,who needs an intro>?? straight into it so goood

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My two favourite songs would have to be Bleak and The Drapery Falls. There is just something about those two songs that stick out so much.

But their other stuff is fantastic, you really have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

the DVD is a bit arse with its total lack of Peaceville era recording. im sure so many of the crowd were pissed off too.

on a side note, if you listen closely during the Damnation set, in between one of the songs, Mikael asks if the crowd if they think that just because the next song isnt heavy, does it make it any less evil? he gets a very funny response; (which you should hear before reading)
    HAIL SATAN NO IT DOESN'T!!

tbh he should just keep his mouth shut, almost every time he opens it in between the songs he makes an arse of himself and his jokes fall completely flat.

Advertisement