Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by nesthead
    HAIL SATAN NO IT DOESN'T!!
    Because of that quote, murmurings from the band, and another where he dedicated Demon of the Fall to "Our Lord Satan", there are rumors that the next album will be black metal-ish and have a few long tracks. How they get that, I don't know :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I love the documentary on that DVD by the way. It's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

he says on the dvd that he would like to do a concept album(whatever that is, i never understood what one was.).

i emailed the bands tour manager not too long ago and he said the band were taking a month break or so after the tour and then setting into writing the new record.

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    he says on the dvd that he would like to do a concept album(whatever that is, i never understood what one was.).

i emailed the bands tour manager not too long ago and he said the band were taking a month break or so after the tour and then setting into writing the new record.
    I think a concept album is something like the new Iced Earth album. It's concept is the American Civil war (The Gettysburg disc). I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

As long as they don't make a video as catastrophically bad as The Reckoning, then I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

"The Reckoning" video isnt that bad (and its a great song) but the "When The Eagle Cries" video is so gay (in a Manowar sense) and its a terrible song.

i read in a magazine too that the next Opeth album will make some references to the occult or satanic stuff, i doubt it will be too strong though, as Mikael does have both a sense of humour and irony. i could well be a concept album, or maybe another narrative-type like My Arms... or Still Life.

the latest news update on Opeth.com says something particulary bizarre.

"Also, keep your eyes open for Michail Korge."

who is Michail Korge?? the next Melinda perhaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by Mystic Fibrosis
    As long as they don't make a video as catastrophically bad as The Reckoning, then I'm all for it.
    /me grimaces at camera and has fight with invisible air monster which threatens the American way of life

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Pffft god I'm sorry, Opeth are absolute awfulness. They're the Tool of Death Metal. And how dare they call themselves any kind of death metal. They have to be, other than Tool, the most boring and overrated band I have ever heard of. Creative? They use the same chord structures over and over. And don't say I just am not cool or "avant-garde" enough to like them because that's simply not the case. They're just one of those crappy bands that tries to be all artistic and fails yet everyone thinks they're artistic (or autistic) and brilliant anyway. You want truly great death metal? Listen to Martyr (canada), Theory in Practice, Deception and old Kataklysm. You want more melodic and progressive death? Try Disillusion, Martyr again, Insomnium and early Therion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ooooooo, hide from Angelwhore, as he shall smite thee from the heavens and you shall quiver in fear of his mighty wraith! and stuff............. :o

And if you actually try to play some of their songs, their 100 times more challenging than any Death metal band I have heard (Serenity Painted Death is bloody impossable....). As for calling them 'Death Metal', their 'Progressive Metal', yes they have parts of heavy music, but essentially their Progressive, and comparing them to Tool is just insulting IMO.

Originally posted by LightofDarkness
    They're the Tool of Death Metal.
    If anything, Tool are the Opeth of Prog Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I was told that it would be a waste of time for me to look into Opeth because 'they weren't my thing', but being naturally curious and annoyed at being told what my musical boundaries were I looked into them anyway. I found the most astoundingly beautiful, inspired, powerful music I have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

As has anyone who has listened to Opeth, Liquorice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pffft god I'm sorry, Opeth are absolute awfulness. They're the Tool of Death Metal. And how dare they call themselves any kind of death metal. They have to be, other than Tool, the most boring and overrated band I have ever heard of. Creative? They use the same chord structures over and over. And don't say I just am not cool or "avant-garde" enough to like them because that's simply not the case. They're just one of those crappy bands that tries to be all artistic and fails yet everyone thinks they're artistic (or autistic) and brilliant anyway. You want truly great death metal? Listen to Martyr (canada), Theory in Practice, Deception and old Kataklysm. You want more melodic and progressive death? Try Disillusion, Martyr again, Insomnium and early Therion.

While you're entitled to your opinion, I gather from this little outburst that you've really got the wrong idea about Opeth altogether. Any comparison with Tool, or even Death Metal is downright useless, and by extention, saying "You want truly great death metal?" falls completely short.

I for one don't think Opeth are Death Metal at all. Aside from how heavy they can be, it's just a terrible comparison altogether, so I would argue that generally, fans of Opeth don't particularly want truly great 'Death Metal' at all.

And I'd also say that comparison with Tool is insulting.

Ok sir, their musical description just about everywhere is "Progressive Melodic Death Metal." Sorry to burst your bubble.

Comparing them to Tool is justified. They are both slow, trudging, boring, uninspired yet pretends to be anyway by trying real hard to be weird and different. Not to mention, both are Progressive. And progressive entails a certain aspect to their music. Thusly they do have something in common. And if they're nothing like Tool, why is it so many Tool fans go on to love Opeth as much as they did Tool?

I never liked Tool, I always thought they were rather boring to listen to myself, but yet I rate Opeth as the second greatest band of all time. And the diffrence between Melodic Death and just Death metal is rather vast, listen to the like of 'Whoracle' or 'Jester Race' by In Flames, THAT is melodic Death, sounds absolutely nothing like most Death metal, and yet again Progressive Melodic Death and Melodic Death are easily as diffrent, or more diffrent again, their a totally diffrent kettle of fish, just because it spawned from Death Metal doesnt mean it is anything like it, if you go back a bit Black Metal spawned from Punk pretty much, 2 totally diffrent styles of music, and most forms of heavy metal formed from Blues Jazz or Classical, yet bear little/no resemblence to them 3 styles.

That's Gothenburg style Melo-Death. there's other styled melo-death like Amon Amarth and Koldborn, with no Gothenburg ripped-off maiden riffs or influences at all.

Furthermore, black metal comes largely from NWOBHM band Venom, hailed as the god-fathers of Black Metal.;) Black comes from the Satan obsessed side of NWOBHM.

And heavy metal comes from hard rock like Led Zeppelin, it was the next logical step. All they did was make it more epic and heavy.

ON a final note, as much as you all are entitled to voice how much love Opeth and exaggerate their greatness, I am entitles to voice mine and say how much I dislike them. After all, this is a post asking about what people think of them, isn't it?

Ok sir, their musical description just about everywhere is "Progressive Melodic Death Metal." Sorry to burst your bubble.

Well if it's everywhere then it absolutely must be true!

Just like Linkin Park are hailed as Metal or what have you!
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because a lot of people/places say it's such doesn't make it true.

Surely if you've listened to the early albums you can clearly hear some very strong influences from Iron Maiden, yet at the same time, it's nearly impossible to draw any comparison between Opeth's song/riff/chord structure or style, and just about any death metal band you'd care to mention. So reguardless of what you say "Everywhere" says, I'm still pretty unconvinced otherwise that Opeth do share anything other than overall heavyness with Death Metal.
    Comparing them to Tool is justified. They are both slow, trudging, boring, uninspired yet pretends to be anyway by trying real hard to be weird and different. Not to mention, both are Progressive. And progressive entails a certain aspect to their music. Thusly they do have something in common. And if they're nothing like Tool, why is it so many Tool fans go on to love Opeth as much as they did Tool?

I'm sure comparing anything is justified, but I still say it's a useless comparison with Tool. For someone who was speaking of Chord structures earlier, I assume you can play guitar, and as such, I'm sure you can appreciate the differences between the bands. Reguardless of them both being progressive, it's obvious to see that Tool's trick is basically the constant use of strange timings. Now if you say they're basically the same because of this, I'd argue that you've almost no real idea about music in general.

Sure, why not make a comparison with some progressive Trance? Might as well, I suppose. I'm a big fan of Bjork myself, so why is it that I went on to like that as much as Enslaved?

Anyway... I won't argue with you on whether or not you think the band are good, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but don't claim that anyone else is exaggerating anything just by saying how much they appreciate them. The least you could do is treat other's opinions with as much weight as you think your opinion deserves.
    Originally posted by Pugsley
    Black Metal spawned from Punk pretty much

:confused::confused::confused:
    Care to elaborate on this one?

Well if you listen to, as LoD said, Venom spawned black metal, and I found a thin line between them and punk, but definately black metal, they were somewhere inbetween, so smeh, never really looked into the progression of Black Metal as I listen to little of it beyond Immortal and a few others, but Venom always seemed the middle man to me between punk and black metal.

Anyways, Im prolly wrong on that one, but care to say wth "NWOBHM" means?
    with no Gothenburg ripped-off maiden riffs or influences at all.
    How are a band automatically pap for having influence's from maiden, EVERY band has influence's, and their hardly ripping them off, as the closest bands you will find to Iron Maiden are Power Metal bands, as a lot of their riff's are very similar to Maidens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Opeth are terrible... light of darkness is right, they are well over-rated just like tool...

I meant no Gothenburg influences (ie. In Flames, At The Gates) although all the Gothenburg bands rip off either In Flames or ATG and In Flames have those Maiden melodies stuck in all over the place.

And thanks for saying your piece 2+2=5, at least i'm not alone in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Well if you listen to, as LoD said, Venom spawned black metal, and I found a thin line between them and punk, but definately black metal, they were somewhere inbetween, so smeh, never really looked into the progression of Black Metal as I listen to little of it beyond Immortal and a few others, but Venom always seemed the middle man to me between punk and black metal.

I'd say you could draw lines between Venom and Motorhead pretty easy, but I wouldn't say punk as a whole at all.
    Anyways, Im prolly wrong on that one, but care to say wth "NWOBHM" means?

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.

Advertisement