Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Ethernet Modem Users With Router

• 27-06-2004 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am using the Zyxel 654R-A1 supplied by UTV with my clicksilver service. I had been having lots of problems with certain sites, which had been solved for others with the MTU change. I had found that changing the MTU of my network card was only a partial fix, and I was still having to use the proxy at certain times to access certain sites. When I spoke to UTV, they told me that I needed to change the MTU on the modem itself, but they did not have a clue how to do it, hence this thread.

Anyhow, after many enquiries, I eventually found a tech support person with actual technical knowledge responsible for Zyxel products in Ireland. After lots of enquiries on his part, I found that the MTU cannot be changed to the magical 1426 reccomended by UTV.

I am using the modem with a D-link DI624 router, which has a built-in PPPOE client, and an MTU setting capability, but which I could not get functioning properly as recommended by D-Link Support . The Zyxel person then told me that I could setup the modem as a bridge, and let the router manage the PPPOE connection, as per these instructions: To set the P645R-A1 in bridge mode telnet to the device. In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No. In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP. In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address Translation to None. In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes.

It works a dream (so far). I've set the correct MTU, and have not had any proxy problems yet, and I've got a much faster connection, with about 430kbps on GigaNews, versus about 350 before the change.

I'm not sure if any other users have had the same problems as me, but i thought this might solve some problems for other ethernet modem users.

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

did you set the MTU on the modem or the router?

has any one tried this on the IOL modem with a router as I am about to install a Netgear router for wireless lan and I'd be interested in getting the maximum speed from the modem/router combination.

thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I set the MTU on the router, because the modem will not allow manual MTU setting, and defaults to 1492.

I'm sure it would work, because I expect both use the same OS.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

I suppose setting the modem the way you did and then setting the router's MTU would be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

i set up the iol zyxel modem and found that it would not work on my dell gx1 using the usb port so tried the network card and it worked fine except for one occasion where i could not access a few sites. turned it off and let it reload and they worked fine.
    i am not as technical minded as you guys so dont have a clue about routing or anything like that but so far after 2 weeks it is working fine for me..

Advertisement