Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tssk some people???

Options
  • 27-06-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

a mate asked me to look at his win2k pc becuase it wasn't booting-I am glad he did now...

drive wasn't detected so i reseated the cables to the drive, and it booted up fine thought i would have a few beers and go to bed but..

heres what i found on the pc

1)win2k service pack 2 installed and no updates ever installed
    2)no firewall
    3)no antivirus
    4)over 400 virii (even the blaster virus was running away happily in the background)
    5)86 ad-ware exe and dll files ( treated me to nude popups while running windows update :)
    6)the C drive was 79% fragmented
    7)the hard drive partition with windows on it was 96% full with 2 gig of mp3's-20 gig drive with 8 gig system partition and the other 2 partitions ere empty (d + e=12 gig)

and it also had
    8)a van helsin wallpaper

it no wonder there are so many virii going around, he thought it was fine until a dodgy connection left it un-bootable

anyway it now has
    win2k service pack 4 + all updates
    firewall
    antivirus + automatic updates + a scheduled weekly scan
    auto windows update set to install @8pm every day

question- is there an auto updating ad remover that can run scheduled in the background?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The pro version of Adaware can do it.

My record for spygits on someones elses pc is a whopping 264 with so many virus windows had this error "Msblaster cannot run as another virus is using the system please remove the other virus and reboot." :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

great, thanks for the reply i'll try that tonight, i think i have the pro version on my windows fd DVD,

I think that the pc will be totally idiot proof now, I will try to set it up so it automatically logs in as a user account, and then he can log off , and login as admin when he wants to install stuff, that should make it impossibal for virii and ad ware to write to the winnt and program files folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

264 is pretty good, i once fixed a machine in work with 3500+ on it, not to mention over 600 types of virii, more amazingly after some f prot and adaware and windows updates it was fine!

Advertisement