Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a day!

• 27-06-2004 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Wow. What started out as an innocent trip to watch the WPC turned into one of the most fun days I have had for a long time.

Here is a brief rundown. There we were watching the end of Saturday morning's heat. They decide to have a break. Me and Dev go to the Celler bar for a pint. John Duthie is standing outside having a smoke. We say hello and wish him good luck and head inside.

There we find Kevin O’Connell and Padraig Parkinson having a drink or 3. So anyway we all start to chat. As things progress I offer to buy a drink. Kevin asks me if I’m rich, I tell him I’m not but I can buy a drink. That was the last drink I was able to buy. Then Gerire arrived and things kinda turned into bit of a bender. There was a lot of booze taken (except by Dev, he is a bit of a girl).

There was much talk of poker and of Devs bad beats. In an effort to stop Dev whining about his bad beats Kevin staked him into the game in the Merrion…..for €1000. Yeah that’s right, he gave Dev a grand to play. I will let Dev tell you how that went.

They are both really nice guys and seem to genuinely think that young guys like us are the future of poker. It would also seem like they will help where they can. We told him about one of the ideas that we have to make poker a bit more accessible. We had the plan but we couldn’t do anything with it. A quick call from Kevin to the owner of the Merrion and that was fixed. Watch this space for an announcement that we hope people will find a bit exciting and hopefully will be interested in supporting.

I even managed to play some poker. I somehow stopped drinking and myself and Gerire went to the Fitz for the 15 rebuy game (no fat bankroll for us.) I got to the final table despite it being 1 round of hold ‘em and 1 of omaha, but was first out. I was acting 1 before the dealer and got a pair of 6s in the hole. The blinds were 800 and 1500 and I was down to about 5k. There were quite a few limpers for the 1500 so I went all in. If everyone had have folded I would have more than doubled through. As it happens Bernie call me. She had A9o and a classic hold ‘em situation ensued. Unfortunately she hit a ace on the flop and that’s all she wrote.

What a day!!

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I stuck my head in the door of the Merrion and basically walked around thinking "OMG! that's Devilfish! OMG! That's Jimmy White! OMG! That's that French guy!" etc etc until I could take it no more and fled to the safety of house party.

Well done to Dev though. I think he's writing it up right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I still cant get over the entire night, yeah innocent pint with you after murk MrP and end up getting home at 3.30 am and am surprised I actually got home that early. Seeing and talking to them does put it in perspective that they are in a completely different league to us by a mile.

If you actually had to get networking done the time was perfect yesterday we networked and just went out for a beer. Whole day was unbelieveble.

As regards to the poker I was sitting pretty and with about 15 left was probably about 3rd highest stack when in a reound of Omaha I have absolutely nothing and try and rob a 8k pot with a bet of 8k duely get called and leave my self with a small stack and get maloested for the remaining 5 minutes of my time there. Definately a game Ill be going in to play again.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've written up my side of events in my blog... when I got home I could barely *talk*.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

fantastic story, really incredible!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Brilliant Story. You deserved it DeV. One to tell the grandchildren about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement