Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintainance Grants

Options
  • 27-06-2004 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Has anybody made an application fora grant for next year? I was thinking about applying, on the very,very slim chance that I'd be given one. Tried ringing my local council ofice last week, but they just wouldn't answer their phones. Anybody know ofanonline application?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I doubt there is one because each council deals directly with each candidate themselves.

Not too sure when your ment to apply though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I know you're supposed to apply during the Summer, before the college term starts - but it's a little difficult when they wont answer their feckin phones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

You should just go into them and ask. Saves loads of hassle. Also there is forms and such to be filled in. So rather than waiting on them in the post you are saving yourself hassle, in the long run.

Just got through on the phone a few minutes ago... they put me on a "waiting list" to get an application form... I can see this will go very smoothly.

I just hope its an easy process.

I think I can apply for three grants, but I can only get one of them. Tis confusing.

• Advertisement

I can only apply for one, but chances are I wont get it, even though my parents wont be giving me any money for college. I wonder if my bank manager will like me....

One is for learning through irish, the other is something to do with the fact that I'm moving across country....or something. Dunno.

G'luck with yours all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

What are the conditions needed to get a grant?

Originally posted by oeNeo
    What are the conditions needed to get a grant?

Not 100% sure, but it's basically means tested on your families income/assets. Even if you're not "cash rich" but have property which you have no income from in which all your money is tied up, you'll be refused the grant. If you're a farmer though, you're practically guaranteed to get it.

If your parents earn under 25 grand then its a full grant.

It they earn more than 40 grand, you don't get one.

Between those two, and depending on the amount of children under 18 it varies. I had a document on it, but I can't find it. www.education.ie should have something on it I'm sure. Or ask in your local county council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

Hey-ho.

The following link is useful:

Maintenance Grants

Basically:

There are 4 main student support schemes for students intending to go on to third-level education:

The Higher Education Grants Scheme
    The Vocational Education Committees' Scholarship Scheme,
    The Third Level Maintenance Grants Scheme for Trainees,
    The European Social Fund-Aided Maintenance Grants Scheme for students attending Post Leaving Certificate courses.

To apply:

Students who are applying for a maintenance grant for attendance at a Certificate/Diploma course in one of the Institutes of Technology should apply to their local VEC.

Students applying for the Post-Leaving Certificate Maintenance Grant should also apply to the VEC.

All other applications go to the local authority.

Application forms for "top-up" grants can be obtained from your local VEC office or your county council/corporation office. Further information about "top-up" grants can be obtained Wrom:

The Student Support Unit,
    Department of Education and Science,
    Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (0506) 21363 or (01) 8734700

Another good link:

More Grant Information.

That one should really answer any other questions on the grant issue.

It's not as simple as how much your parents earn: it depends on the number of dependant kids, too. The size of the grant you can possibly get is given on the first link.

I just got my grant application pack in the post this morning.... and it's huge. Fourteen pages in the application, and about 30 more pages of instructions. Parent#s won't help me fill it out... so I'm probably going to get everything wildly wrong and end up being arrested or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

I just got my grant application pack in the post this morning.... and it's huge. Fourteen pages in the application, and about 30 more pages of instructions. Parent#s won't help me fill it out... so I'm probably going to get everything wildly wrong and end up being arrested or something.

Lol.

Christ, that long?

I was expecting two or three short pages of routine crap.

Bugger. Bugger, indeed.

I suppose you don't need to fill *everything* out - but it's definetly about 8-9 pages if you don't have any social welfare payments. I don't have a clue how I'm supposed to fill it out though... it's really geared towards your parents and mature students. They don't actually ask what *you're* income is (presumably zero) or if your parents are actually going to be paying for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need to attach ur own p21/p45/p60 which ever applies at the time.
    It goes on ur earnings during the year too but they will not count ur summer/holiday earnings.
    which is really unfair cause its the people workin durin the year that obviously need the money.

They don't care whether ur parents are fundin u or not unless ur a mature student.

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    You need to attach ur own p21/p45/p60 which ever applies at the time.
    It goes on ur earnings during the year too but they will not count ur summer/holiday earnings.
    which is really unfair cause its the people workin durin the year that obviously need the money.

They don't care whether ur parents are fundin u or not unless ur a mature student.

I'm a bit confused about that... it all depends on your parents earnings...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by subway_ie
    I'm a bit confused about that... it all depends on your parents earnings...

Presumably if someones parent's are rich fecks they can afford to put them through college.

That disk you can get with all the course info on it (the name escapes me atm) has a maintainance grant calculator on it to see if you're eligible.
    Parent's were always so bloody vague about earnings though that I never got around to using it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Presumably if someones parent's are rich fecks they can afford to put them through college.

I wouldnt call any family with an income of 25k rich.

Yeah subway ur parents earnings and urs during the year too.
    They dont care if ur supporting urself or if ur parents are it goes on their earnings.

If ur having problems filling out the forms go to a local youth information centre and they will help u,
    There is one in Dun Laoghaire beside the church,

If ur parents wont help u tbh u dont stand a chance as ur gonig to need their tax documents info bout the house etc

U wont get arrested lol

I just got mine. I don't really want to fill it out. So intrusive like.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

The thing about grants are - apply as early as possible. dont wait or it will be after christmas before you get it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement