Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Down people

• 27-06-2004 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

This is a sensitive issue but it's something Im interested in exploring. I was working today (SUNDAY I know!!) in an office block being re vamped with different tradespeople busy at work to have it ready for Monday. One guy caught my eye. Most tech crew/office fitter guys stick to the usual jeans/scotchgaurd combats and their company logo polo shirt but this guy was all in black- with a black shirt over a black t-shirt (the part that struck me most) which read "I WANT TO BE ALONE"

I was real kinda shocked. Don't get me wrong- Im not a pop boy easily offended. I like my RATM and bits of Funeral for a friend and that kinda thing but I was just a bit stunned by this. I was chattin to him a little bit once or twice and he was real nice, a little shy.

My reason for posting the topic is just to say 'whats the story with this?' To me, the guy jusy looked so down. Why would someone wear that? Im not taking an 'Ughhh GOTHS!" stance on this. Im not out to criticise or offend. Just want some views.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i knew a person who was fairly quiet in company and people would get the wrong idea sometimes that he was shy, frightened or something odd, but he just couldnt be arsed talking much and he was quite happy being introverted, reserved whatever you want to call it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I can understand wanting to be alone and black looks good on a lot of people. Personally I find interacting with groups of people (especially people I don't know well) to be quite draining so I'm very quite around them. People misunderstand this and think I'm either some kind of snob or terribly shy (constantly smiling and asking me if I'm ok). So I often want to be alone and I do wear black, no great mystery and I'm not about to kill myself or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt. Not in Black, unless I had my Ian Gillan shirt on. :ninja:

Mike.

ps I thought this thread might have been about DOWNS (syndrome) ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I used to always wear black stuff too, but grew out of it. I am a quiet person and only open up when I'm in the company of those I know. A girl I've known for a couple of years, but only started to see socially fairly recently (and regularly) told me she thought I was quiet and never knew I was funny...

I know how it is to be down. The "I want to be alone" thing may be a cry for help - it certainly made you notice him didn't it? :)
    Originally posted by mike65
    ps I thought this thread might have been about DOWNS (syndrome) ppl.

I thought it was about people from Co. Down ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by Puck
    I can understand wanting to be alone and black looks good on a lot of people. Personally I find interacting with groups of people (especially people I don't know well) to be quite draining so I'm very quite around them. People misunderstand this and think I'm either some kind of snob or terribly shy (constantly smiling and asking me if I'm ok). So I often want to be alone and I do wear black, no great mystery and I'm not about to kill myself or anything.

So the wearing of black is to give off a signal - kind of a 'content in my own company' signal?

Or am I still getting it wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

No, I wear black sometimes because I like the way it looks on me, not as any sort of signal or statement. I also like the colour blue so I wear that sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

i dont think its up to you to decide why he was wearing what he was wearing : )

i thought it was funny. cry for help? i dont think so, just sounds amusing to me.

Originally posted by Puck
    No, I wear black sometimes because I like the way it looks on me, not as any sort of signal or statement. I also like the colour blue so I wear that sometimes.

sorry I wasn't talkin about u personally

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    i dont think its up to you to decide why he was wearing what he was wearing : )

i thought it was funny. cry for help? i dont think so, just sounds amusing to me.

i don't think it's up to you to decide it's not up to me to decide why he is wearing what he is wearing... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    "I WANT TO BE ALONE"

I was real kinda shocked.

Quote..

Home was not home
    Your room was home
    A corner was home
    The place they weren't, that was home

Henry Rollins - I know you

I thought this was going to be a thread about people from Co.Down as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It was probably the first thing he found on the floor that morning.

Neway, being alone is a laugh - I'd go mad if i was surrounded by people all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

"Down with people"

Advertisement