Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII Squad photo needed!

Options
  • 27-06-2004 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

hey folks

me and me mates regulary play COD on a LAN in the house - there are about 10 of us, and what I need help with is this.

I want to get a squad photo - say of 10 or 12 soldiers, taken in WW2 of the squad standing for the photo or maybe all leaning against a wall or whatever - basically an image that I can then photo-shop and put me and my mates heads on the soldiers so it can hang proudly on the wall in the computer room!

I've googled for photos but am having real trouble finding a good one - I need to have no more than 15 guys in the photo, and for most of them to have their faces visible...

Anyone know of any good websites or have any images themselves they could post?

thanks for any help
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

pick any division or sqaud from ww2 oh lets say 101st and then use that internet thingy googly somfin then open with your internet tool browser.
    type in hmm somfin like "101st airborne pictures world war 2"

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/world_war_2_photos.html

OMG!!!!! it works

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Anyone else thing its disrepectful to photoshop remove the heads of soilders from ww2 photos .........or is it just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would take an ingame pic and add to that but each to their own.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

nice link - thanks

As for the disrespect thing, I'd imagine it's about as disrespectful as playing a game based on their actions....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Killah_B
    nice link - thanks

As for the disrespect thing, I'd imagine it's about as disrespectful as playing a game based on their actions....

eh no, I'd say more, as the characters in games are fictional while those in the photos are real.

[edit] why not use this picture? [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Originally posted by bizmark
    Anyone else thing its disrepectful to photoshop remove the heads of soilders from ww2 photos .........or is it just me

I agree I think its just plain wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Seems a tad disrespectful to me too. Id be inclined to use something like the pic RobertFoster posted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have to agree as well, I was in Normandy for D-Day and saw loads of reenactors walking around in vintage uniforms. Generally thats grand but loads of them would go to the cemeteries still in uniform...

Very bad taste...

Get a picture of some reenactors or from a movie or of Band of Brothers leave the real stuff alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I agree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Despite being disrespectful, isnt it a wee bit illegal to publish some elses property on the web without their consent?

• Advertisement

Probably...

And its harldy going to be good luck for him and his clan mates to stick their faces on dead soldiers bodies... Its actually a little creapy...

Anyone ever hear of a movie called Zelig?

Anyone familiar with the collage art of winston smyth?

Disrespectful?

It's editing a picture for my own use and enjoyment - not being posted anywhere public, not for a clan... I hope those wishy washy PC horses ya'all rode in on are comfortable...

If anyone would like to ellucidate on WHY it is disrespectful (not they fought for our freedom they are dead now blah blah but actually WHY the editing of a photo is disrespctful) I'm all ears... but I'd imagine all I will hear is those damn horses neighing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yes where all pc loveing hippys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

IT'S ONLY A PICTURE.

http://www.6thbeachbattalion.com/images/a-co-platoon.jpg

Who says they are dead anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Its disrepectful because ure playing a game where as these men fought and killed and died for their country, u and ur mates are wanting to represented as soldiers because of the game u play, and in a sense are just scraping off what the real ppl on the war done so can have a pic

Stick your face on a picture of Dev or Colins and see how fast sombody slaps ya in the head.

Its not just a picture its a picture of people you dont know who all went through a war together. Some or all of whom may have been killed in the process. They earned their uniforms the hard way, so its very disrepectful to wipe them out and put your self in.

Would you edit these with you and your friends details?

http://snet.wit.ie/~reaper/photos/DSCN1910.JPG

http://snet.wit.ie/~reaper/photos/DSCN1959.JPG

http://snet.wit.ie/~reaper/photos/DSCN1961.JPG

Maybe this would suit better?

http://snet.wit.ie/~reaper/photos/band_of_brothers02.jpg

yep - thanks for the pictures

I liked that band of brothers one in particular - a bunch of guys pretending to be a bunch of guys that earned their uniforms and are all dead... terribly direspectful n'est ce pas?

It's just a picture. You should really all relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ask for permission before using any such photo, they deserve that much respect.

Jesus....

Originally posted by Killah_B
    yep - thanks for the pictures

I liked that band of brothers one in particular - a bunch of guys pretending to be a bunch of guys that earned their uniforms and are all dead... terribly direspectful n'est ce pas?

It's just a picture. You should really all relax.

U ****in knob, did you even watch Band of Brothers? Did you see the vets through out the series? Do you know that the actors sepnt time with the vets? Do you know that the actors went to a boot camp? Do you know how hard they tried to be faithfull to what happend?

There is a diference between that and some 12 year old sticking his face over a picture of the real guys.

Nobody here would have said anything to you if you were asking were you and your mates could go to have your picture taken in military uniforms...

• Advertisement

I have the dvd boxed set - i respect and admire them - **** you and your ****ing personal insults - not ONE OF YOU FCUKING IDIOTS HAS GIVEN ANY REASON why it is disrespectful - you just keep spouting the same old **** of they died they earned their uniforms, while at the same time you play all play WW2 games, revel in WW2 movies - get a fcuking grip... I know and understand what they went through and editing a photo does NOTHING to belittle it..

what the fcuk is the difference between acting as them in a series that you profess to admire and acting as them in a photo? Because some ****ing actor spent a few months learning about the role? how about a history degree where I did my thesis on the normandy landings? am as qualified as a fcuking actor now? fcuk you rew and your bullsiht, you haven't a fcuking clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I agree with a lot of what you said Killah B in that people who revel in the WW2 genre as a background for their consumer goods and personal entertainment cant really be going around throwing stones.

But you have to recognise that there is a school of thought that might think, that if you were to take a photo of a squad of soldiers in the midst of a conflict where many of them suffered terribly and could indeed have died, and then where to photoshop it out so that you and your friends are in the photo instead of them it looks, subconciously anyway, as if youre comparing your friends and yourself, to those soldiers.

I.E. youve got a bunch of guys who are looking to survive to tommorrow, having their faces edited out and replaced with the faces of a bunch of friends playing WW2 games, Id guess because it will look snazzy to be playing your WW2 with a "real" ww2 squad photo.

Subconciously at least, that might bother some people because you and your friends arent WW2 vets, youre gamers. Trying to blend the distinctions between those experiences ( and yes, if you think about it- thats what youre doing ) by borrowing the image of veterans to make your friends look like a real WW2 unit, seems wrong to some people. As one of the posters said in a rather bad tempered post no one would have an issue if you borrowed some uniforms and posed for it, like some sort of re-enactment. Then it would be *your* squad photo, not someone elses, with your heads attached.

Im not slating you - I wont wake up in the middle of the night screaming if you go ahead and edit your faces onto some dead guys bodies. But dont act horrified that some people might view it as unacceptable. Yeah, maybe theres a lot of hypocrites on the thread but civillisation is built on hypocrisy.

At last a voice of reason... nice post Sand.

Relax moral gaurdians - the easiest picture to edit is the band of brothers one... so now I have a photo of guys pretending to be WW2 veterans of guys pretending to be WW2 veterans... you accept one but not the other.

Now I'd imagine I am disrespecting the actors who went through such trauma and really 'felt' it... man.

Yep... civilisation rocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Reminds me of good old Bill Hicks getting peeved at all the hurrah over flag burning.

"My Dad died for that flag!"

"Really mine cost $2"

"He fought in Korea for the flag!"

"Wow. Mine was made in Korea. Whatya know!"

The soldiers who fought in the war should be admired and respected for what they went through. Images and symbols of these achievements are nothing to get over worked about. Reflect on the events themselves not representations of those events.

Looks like we will never agree on this one.

I would like to say that I’m a solider (RDF), my Dad is a soldier (PDF). Friends of the family have been killed in the line of duty; others are veterans of various wars. I play a lot of BF Vietnam, have the Band of Bro box set and went to Normandy for the recent anniversary, not sure if all that makes me a hypocrite though.

Glad the Band of Brothers pic worked out for you.

Advertisement