Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Cookbook

• 27-06-2004 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

right now the one I'm working through is Ramsay's Kitchen Heaven, which is far easier than his others, and some really good building block recipies, but right now my favourite is one that I picked up by accident, 'Two Fat Ladies Ride Again' (Jennifer Patterison & Calrissa @dixon Right) some nice obsure and old fashinoed recipies, finally I'll know what to do with those phesants that my uncle tends to dump on the family come the season!

so anyone else got reccomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My favourite cookbooks are anything by Nigel Slater. I have "Real Food", "Real Cooking" and "Appetite". They're a little different to "normal" cookbooks insofar as the recipes are deliberately a little "vague" as far as quantities go. There's no "17.5 grams of finely chopped parsley" for example, but something like "a good handful of chopped parsley, or maybe more of you're so inclined". I like this instead of the cold, clinical style of many of the popular chefs like Gary Rhodes for example.

"Appetite" is a good one as it takes one particular group of ingredients on a seasonal basis, say fish and gives you one or two basic recipes. After that he goes on to suggest possible variations on that theme, but tries not to be too prescriptive, and just tries to give you the courage to experiment yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Larousse Gastronomique - The bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Crazy Water Pickled Lemons is a great book of mediterranean cooking

The Food of china is just fantastic. My chinese cooking suddenly became so good when I bought this book

Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible contains lots and lots of recipes, and has a great liitle spicy satay tomato type sauce

Cafe Paradiso Cookbook is stunning. It's an award winning vegetarian cookbook, but you'd be a fool not to glance through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook by Silvana Franco.

Kept me well fed all year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The Dairy Book of Home Cooking

classic real food!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement