Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Affair...

• 28-06-2004 12:32am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, for those of you whom have seen the now infamous (:D) Carol Coleman interview, what are your thoughts on it?

Was she rude to him, he rude to her, or were they just both a big pile of rude?

IMO, Coleman didn't like Bush, and she made that clear. While I agree with her, its very unprofessional of her to go into an interview with such a mindset. She has to be impartial... I do think that she was very nervous too, and failed in getting anything worth while out of the interview. Her follow-up questions may have been interesting, but due to her interupting Bush, he didn't have to answer them, just get defensive about her agression. I do also think that he was somewhat rude to her, although (and it pains me to say this) perhaps it was no more than she would deserve for being so rude to him in the first place.

One of the most important things this does highlight, however, is the difference between US and European politicians and their interaction with the media. Bush doesn't do many interviews, he will only do them when he has too (back against the wall stuff), or when he knows he can get votes out of it (doing what he intended on being a timid interview with Irish TV to please his Irish American voters). Over here, politicians face the media every day, and in everything they do. They cannot vet questions before hand, and they are under constant scrutiny.
    I think it is a good thing that our politicians are respected, while taken to task at the same time. In the US, they seem to over-respect their leaders, so much so that they back off contentious issues for fear of upsetting them. Coleman didn't show any respect to Bush, and she didn't ask the right questions. I would say it was a generally bad interview, however, I would like to see Bush up against a more seasoned interviewer, such as Jeremy Paxman, as he would be as respectful as he needed to be, and as hard hitting as he always is.

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

From the few interviews of Bush that I have seen in the last 4 years he comes accross nervous as hell in all of them(even the scripted Fox ones).

But something else I have noticed. Sexism
    Bush just doesn't know how to behave or communicate around and with women. This is especially visible when you put him infront of a confident female interviewer such as Coleman who didn't feel intimidated by him or when Bush is on a state visit to a state with a female head of state who is supposedly an equal if the US president and definitly in diplomic protocol.

Put him around Tony and Bertie he gets all ladish. Put him next to the queen and he gets confused and looks like a little 13 year old in a teenage disco hanging round the corner opposite the crowd of girls not knowing how to approach them...

As for Coleman as an interviewer. She was poor to say the least. That was the defining moment of her career and she puckled under the pressure is all really. I don't think she was rude at all. Just un professional and far too nervous. BUt in all honesty it was miles better than anyone in the study of RTE could manage. The RTE studio interviews are the worse bloody things in the history of broadcasting. More Scripted than FOX and more uncontraversal than The Den...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by flogen
    I would say it was a generally bad interview, however, I would like to see Bush up against a more seasoned interviewer, such as Jeremy Paxman, as he would be as respectful as he needed to be, and as hard hitting as he always is.

flogen

Methinks there a two chances of Paxo inteviewing Bush or indeed any serving US President. I kind of suspect the only reason the the White House let the interview happen was cos it was "some woman from Irish TV, no-one will see it" cos it'll be a non-event. Well in Irish/UK TV terms thats exactly what it was but in the States it was of some controversy. Which is why Paxo...etc!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Did you see the way Bush's right leg twitched immediately after the interview? He was not a happy Texan.

The Press-Corps that are let into the White House briefings are unofficially vetted by White House staff. Anyone who asks really tough questions is not invited back a second time.

Bush basically isn't used to anything more difficult from a journalist than "Mr.President, why are you so great?"

Carol Coleman did a great job.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

She couldn’t interview him, every time she tried to interrupt him so she could get him to expand he complained about the interruption and just continued on with what he was saying, which, as far as I’m concerned is just a rehash of what he always says, it’s like he’s learned off his answers verbatim and will not stray from the learned dialogue.
    A sharp contrast to the interview Jon Snow did last night with Tony Blair on C4, where the questions were quite gruelling and Tony Blair was able to think on his feet and come back with answers, he also had no problems with interruptions and took it in his stride. I don’t have much time for Blair but at least he can articulate an answer and would appear to have half a brain (I am taking the other half away because of his decision to make Bush his friendie.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

One of the most important things this does highlight, however, is the difference between US and European politicians and their interaction with the media.

and not only that, it does reflect the fact (ie not conspiracy) of the influence politicians have over the media, who would get these people sacked....

i thought the first post described it very well lame but somehow contraversial...

• Advertisement
Advertisement