Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Portugal score against England in extra time?

• 28-06-2004 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

I though that it was over the line but there was no replay at the time.

Some of my mates saw it as well and thatought it worth a replay , has anyone seen a replay of that incident in the first 15 mins of extra time ?

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Here's what I said on another thread:

The one "over the line" by Portugal was not over the line I thought. Cole cleared it away and it didnt go over the line in my opinion, although the camera angle was from the half-way line and no replay was given of that incident.

I re-watched it several times in frame-by-frame slow-mo. I cant conclusively say from that angle but it doesn't look like it was a goal.

For what its worth I said this about the English goal:

I had a look at the disallowed "goal" again and it was clearly a foul by Terry on the keeper. True, they are usually given as refs tend to (over)protect goalkeepers more than other players, and I think thats even written in the rules. You essentially cant go into a 50-50 challenge with goalies. Terry had his arm on him. Any neutral analyst would have seen it. The RTE and BBC pundits got it wrong.

Although I think a lot of the pundits in Englan are now coming around to the fact that yes, in the cold light of day, this was a foul that could be given and is usually given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I saw it twice from the half way angle you mentioned , neither viewing in slo -mo ...I still wanted to see it from another angle , preferably in slo- mo as well. .

Thanks for the help.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

though that it was over the line but there was no replay at the time.
    I too am interested. They (RTE) said they'd show it again but they never did (LIARS :p ).

Lemme know if you find sommet about it plz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The incident was only shown from the one angle so you'll have to judge it from that. If you want to see it in slo-mo use VirtualDub to edit the video (I would have done it myself but I'm on 56k and the slower the clip the bigger the file to be uploaded). The furthest it got to crossing it was obviously when Cole cleared it so pause it when Cole gets his foot to it and you'll see it didn't cross the line (I think anyway).
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/portugal_england2.avi

The other controversial incident, the Campbell disallowed goal, IMO was correctly disallowed because Ricardo was impeded. Whether it was a foul or not doesn't actually matter because Terry was offside (if it had've been allowed the Portuguese would have beent the people feeling cheated). Have a look at this clip and pause it as soon as Michael Owen heads the ball, you will see that Terry's front foot is ahead of the defenders front foot and the same for the back feet.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/portugal_england1.avi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Stopp the video thing when it reaches 5 second and u will clearly see not all of the ball was over the line .

infact im not even sure if half was .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The other controversial incident, the Campbell disallowed goal, IMO was correctly disallowed because Ricardo was impeded. Whether it was a foul or not doesn't actually matter because Terry was offside

Im not sure he was off-side, atleast occording to the way FIFA would like the rule to be played now days that it ;)

Infact Im sure he wouldn't be as he wasn't being passed to when he was 'in an offside position' and was back in an onside position when he would have recived the ball.

The more I see the reply the more I agree it shouldn't have been alowed though, but I dont think you would see many of them given offside in an international match these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its not that he was being passed too but wether or not he was interfering with play which he obviously was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Im not sure about FIFA but under FA rules (when they had to fix the offside thing) if a player was in a goalkeepers line of vision , or putting him off in some way , while in an offside position , he is deemed to be active and therefore offside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Would it not be put under "gaining an advantage from being in that position"? Since he stayed in the same spot for the whole incident while the other players had to run over to the the ball, isn't he gaining an advantage?

Advertisement