Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extended Donnie Darko to get cinema release?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i heard about this. no idea about a release over here or not. there has been some new footage and i'm lead to believe the cut scene of donnie's death will be included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

That'd be sweet...I'd go to see it in a heartbeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

If you look at the delected scenes on the DVD with the directors commentry over them you can tell that it really hurt him to cut them especially the scenes with Donnie and his dad so I guess it was only a matter of time before some kind of a directors cut came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

am i the only one who believes that this film sucks ass!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

No, but both you and him are idiots. Wrong idiots. The worst kind. Wrong idiots with opinions.

Hah, I'm just messing with you, you're alright.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Definately will be very interested in seeing this. Whether via DVD or ever better by cinema. I'd say main stream cinema might take it this time considering how well it's done etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

deadly i heard about that but thought it was just a rumour .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Anyone heard any more on this ?

It was on Popcorn on TV3 about a month back that the director's cut was going to be released in Irish Cinema's in the near future but i haven't heard anything since then .

Would love to see it on the big screen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As far as i know, the "Donnie Darko: Director's Cut" was planned to be released in Ireland and the UK.

But i read recently an interview with Richard Kelly divulging details of the plans he has to release the Director's Cut on Region 2 DVD in November.

Will have a look around to try and find that interview and if i find it, i'll post it here.

Will definantly be worth seeing on the big screen. Bought the Region 1 DVD of it when it was first released on CD!WOW

Such a film!!

Defiantly one of my all time fav's!

EDIT: Not the interview i read but see here!

Excerpt from XFM Article:

"...for a new featurette being made for the DVD release of Donnie Darko - The Director's Cut, out on October 4."

Seems like that's just a once off screening if they're planning on having the DVD out by October 4th.

What a shame! Would love to see it on the big screen!

EDIT 2: Just found this! Guess we know now.

Donnie Darko - Director's Cut DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is the Director's Cut version just gonna have all the deleted scenes that are available on the DVD included? Or is it gonna include new scenes?

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They are shooting a few new scenes with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone, apparently she wouldn't shoot the scenes without getting paid a huge fee so they cut her out and are using CGI instead. Saw it on Inside Cinema on Channel 4 last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Originally posted by FX Meister
    They are shooting a few new scenes with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone, apparently she wouldn't shoot the scenes without getting paid a huge fee so they cut her out and are using CGI instead. Saw it on Inside Cinema on Channel 4 last month

um, you do know the directors cut premiered over a month ago and was released domestically in north america 2 weeks ago, right ???? somehow i dont think the above is happening because 1) it sounds stupid 2)time constraints(its already released y'see)

since the directors cut is being released on dvd in october, it seems unlikely that it'll be getting a cinema release over here :( especially with the huge backlog of titles irish cinemas have already this summer

as for new scenes for the directors cut, imdb has it listed here
    pretty much what most people were expecting, with some cool cgi stuff added in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

well then replace are with were, it was on that show, surely it's not that hard to cop that I got my tenses wrong? I didnt pay that much attention to it as im not the biggest DD fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Thanks very much for the info basquille.

Very disappointed was really looking forward to seeing it in the cinema.

BTW Anyone who liked this film and hasn't seen Momento yet should check it out .

yeah momento is a great film. nice to see carrie-anne moss in a non-action role. of course richard kelly (dd director) is making his new movie: southland tales.

http://www.southlandtales.com

moby and nine inch nails are supposidly making the music.

Originally posted by Doublezero8
    Thanks very much for the info basquille.

Very disappointed was really looking forward to seeing it in the cinema.

BTW Anyone who liked this film and hasn't seen Momento yet should check it out .

No problem!

Memento is a great film - got it on DVD. Love that special feature that plays the film in chronological order (great to reveal all little things you may have missed on first viewing!)

Regarding 'Southland Tales', i've read a fair bit about it.

Richard Kelly says it'll be very different to Donnie Darko. Didn't realise how different til i noticed the genre(s) on IMDB - Musical / Comedy / Drama / Thriller.

Has a good cast in it (a very Kevin Smith inspired cast - most of the actors in the main cast were in 'Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back' or another Kevin Smith film at one time.

In an interview with Richard Kelly at Comic-Con 2004 in the US:

"When asked about his next picture entitled SOUTHLAND TALES, Kelly said that he couldn’t say “much about it”, but that it was “completely different from Donnie Darko”, but that it would likely still appeal to everyone who liked his first film. He said it was “a comedy, a thriller, a musical…”, to which his producer partner McKittrick, said that it was a “musical for everyone who doesn’t like musicals.” Kelly said that those who liked musicals would also like it and that it was “twice the size of Donnie Darko and quite epic…” He also said that the film would begin shooting in September of 2004 and that some of it had already begun shooting “in secret” "

Cast includes Seann William Scott, Sarah Michelle Geller, Jason Lee, Janeane Garofalo, Ali Larter, Tim Blake Nelson and Kevin Smith himself.

He also had a film in the works called 'Knowing' - (Plot Outline: "A construction crew finds a time capsule from an old elementary school containing pictures that portray the greatest tragedies of the past forty years, and also one event that has yet to come true."). But reports say plans to do this film have been scrapped to concentrate on Southland Tales.

Some sad news to finish this off, Patience Cleveland, the actress who played Roberta Sparrow (Grandma Death) in Donnie Darko died on 27th May of this year of cancer.

Originally posted by basquille

Regarding 'Southland Tales', i've read a fair bit about it.

He also had a film in the works called 'Knowing' - (Plot Outline: "A construction crew finds a time capsule from an old elementary school containing pictures that portray the greatest tragedies of the past forty years, and also one event that has yet to come true."). But reports say plans to do this film have been scrapped to concentrate on Southland Tales.

the southland tales website mentions the internet. it also asks questions about sex. no idea what it's going to be about but should be interesting.

as for "knowing", i read that the script is done but kelly felt he needed another film under his belt before he went for this (a sci-fi film which'll require a bit more budget then donnie darko and southland tales).

ooooh didnt know kelly was at comic-con, pretty cool info there :D
    personally i still find the complete lack of a plot synopsis for'southland tales' a bit worrying......okay, its a musical mixed with loads of other genres, that still doesnt really tell us what the films about though :( plus sarah michelle gellar is a crap singer =/ and im not a particular fan of the cast either...but hey, hopefully it'll surprise me and on the plus side, the web site is quite cool, quite similiar to donnie darko's
    im really looking forward to checking out 'knowing' im dissapointed thats hes leaving it until after 'southland tales'.

i personally was very underrwhelmed by memento, i dont know =/ whereas something like 21 grams i got the hang of within the first 30 minutes, i never got the hang of this...... i just found it frustrating, i like watching it in chronological order though

Originally posted by herobear
    im really looking forward to checking out 'knowing' im dissapointed thats hes leaving it until after 'southland tales'.

Think 'Knowing' sounds brillant too, herobear. But wouldn't keep your hopes up just yet as..

On Richard-Kelly.net, they had an interview with Richard Kelly recently and when he asked on the status of 'Knowing' - he said he couldn't get the funding together to do a decent job of 'Knowing'

And that he's put it on the back burner for a couple of years.

He expects to start on 'The Box' after Southland Tales. He's written a script that Eli Roth (who previously directed Cabin Fever) directing.

The only sort of plot we know about 'The Box' so far is from IMDB:

"A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a troubled married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know... "

Sounds interesting!

ye i read all that above too, i still dont know though i mean he made donnie darko on next to nothing, so the idea of him making a BIG budget film is just kinda worying(going mainstream and all that).

yeah kelly and roth both seem really psyched for 'the box' and it does sound quite interesting, but still doesnt hold up to what little we know about 'knowing' (excuse the pun) imo =/ im stiill gonna hold out hope though as i do definitely find kelly a promising scriptwriter/director

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

I saw the Director's Cut yesterday. In a theatre!!!! (I live in new york city, and it only just came out here about a week ago or something. i was so glad i read about it in the ny times, cause it wasn't that publicised, which is really sad, cause it's fantastic. on the bright side, there wasn't a single empty seat in the huge theatre, and it's showing four or five times a day. so yay)
    Not only was it AMAZING on a big screen, with surround sound and whatnot (it was so much more powerful) but the director's cut is so much better than the previously released version. don't get me wrong, I loved donnie the way it was, but this was fantabulous. Much much better imo and it still left a lot up to the viewer's own interpretation. and with just a few more snippits of scenes here and there it expanded the father's character (which desperately needed expanding, i thought) and the teacher's character and ...it just fit everything together so much better.
    eeep! i cant wait til it comes out on dvd.
    and hopefully it'll get released in ireland in the movie theatres as well so you guys can see it.
    (those of you who want, to at least....*coughs at non-fans of donnie*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

On IMDB there are no release dates specified for the UK, so who knows when it might be coming out here.

Advertisement