Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry questions...

Options
  • 28-06-2004 2:30am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hullo all,

So I keep seeing "Far Cry" as a recommended title meaning I kinda want it now :) I assume it's as good as it's made out but tell me this:

1) What sort of performance can I expect on my setup? I'm running an Athlon 2500XP+ (overclocked to act as a 2800XP+), 512 MB memory, and a 64Mb Ti4200 GFX card. I know this is a heavy hardware game so will I get much from it?

2) What's the best place to get it? I normally go with play.com ...

Thankee...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I have almost exactly that setup (except mine is an Athlon 2400).

Farcry defaulted to fairly low settings when I installed it, and I didn't change them. Still played superbly! Only delay was if I ALT-TAB'd back to the desktop, when it took an age to swap back in all my other applications. I eventually got fed up with this and added another 512 MB of RAM which sorted it out.

Everything you've heard about it is true - best game I've played for ages! I got mine from sendit.com, which worked out a couple of euros cheaper than Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It should run good i would think. What you should do when you get the game is set the shadow and lighting to v low and put everthing else up to max. Game should run good if not you might have to turn some of the other settings down a tad. But lighting and shadow are the real drainers on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

I'd agrre with tenshot, extra ram wouldn't go astray with far-cry.It's worth noting that your graphics card is a direct-x 8 card ,unless i'm mistaken ,and so won't display all the visual goodies since far-cry uses direct-x 9.As a result you should get a very decent performance from your system.
    I,m using an athlonxp2800(barton),1gig pc2700 ram,ati 9700pro card(direct-x 9).With this setup i run the game with all options on the highest settings apart from AA and AF which are both set to level 2.Screen res set to 1024*768.Frame rates of around 20-30 in outdoor levels and 35-50 in indoor levels.There's plenty of options to play around with to get the game running smoothly on your pc at any rate.
    Enjoy the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

It's only E35 in the pc world stores atm.:eek:

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Originally posted by Combatcow

CombatCow

That's me off to PCW Blanch after work!

Thanks,
    Fiacha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Combatcow

CombatCow
    That's good value! How do I get there from the city centre :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Originally posted by ixoy
    That's good value! How do I get there from the city centre :dunno:

driving or on bus ?

39/70 from hawkins st or college green will get you to blanch shopping centre (€1.65). PCW is on the other side of the main shopping centre, less than 5 minutes walk from bus stop

Advertisement