Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Milan Baros was English

• 28-06-2004 10:12am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

He would be a bigger star than Rooney. Why has it taken the media so long to wake up to this boy's talents. Reasons why he is better than Rooney:
    He was nicknamed the Czech Maradona whilst still at Banik Ostrava (perhaps that is a little exaggeration on the Czech people's part as he's not that good yet, but his goals in Euro 2004 have been pure class).

21 goals in 29 appearances - goal ratio of 0.72 goals per game. Rooney's is 0.53.

11 goals in his last ten appearances.

Leading goalscorer in Euro 2004 and likely to win the golden boot.

Very good chance of actually being in the team which wins the competition.

His goals have come against Bulgaria, Holland, Germany and Denmark. These teams are far better than Switzerland and Croatia.

He speaks better English than Rooney as everyone who saw his post match interview on the BBC last night will know.

The pundits have claimed he was poor at Liverpool. Well wouldn't anyone be if they had missed months through a broken leg and get messed around by Houllier. If Baros ever gets a good run in the side he will eclipse Owen. Why hasn't he so far? Well Owen isn't the best type of player for him to partner. Baros and Cisse would probably be a better pairing.

If someone said to be I had to sell either Owen or Gerrard, Owen would be straight out the door and I'd double Gerrard's wages. Owen has done a great deal for Liverpool, but heavy emphasis on the word HAS.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3845213.stm

Baros in Liverpool pledge

Czech hero Milan Baros believes he can reproduce his Euro 2004 form for Liverpool for next season.

Baros was sidelined for five months after breaking his ankle last September and only managed two goals all season.

"I played only a few games when I came back and then the boss (Gerard Houllier) put me on the bench," Baros recalled.

"It was a very difficult period for me but now I'm sure I can play for Liverpool like I'm playing here."

Baros is now the top scorer at Euro 2004 with five goals, the only player to have scored in every game his team have played at the tournament.

Profile: Milan Baros
    He has now accumulated 21 goals in 29 internationals, including 11 in his last 10 outings.

The 22-year-old is only one match away from equalling Michel Platini's record of scoring in five consecutive European Championship matches.

The Frenchman achieved the feat in the 1984 tournament, which he finished with a record nine goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I'm sure he's a huge star in Czech Republic so who cares if the English media don't go crazy over him

He is also playing in a much better side at International level so he preforms better as does Rooney

The guy is class no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Agreed.

The point I am makeing has nothing to do with the team he plays for,fact is he is not english but still much much better that fat boy ronney,but the media over there only want to here about there New King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Dub13
    The point I am makeing has nothing to do with the team he plays for,fact is he is not english but still much much better that fat boy ronney,but the media over there only want to here about there New King.

Your going a bit far now. His record is better but Rooney has actually done more of note that Baros.

*I am an pool fan

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Your going a bit far now. His record is better but Rooney has actually done more of note that Baros.

*I am an pool fan

Come on what has rooney done for his club....?nothing thats what he has not even played in Europe.Dont belive the hipe Baros is MUCH better than rooney...dont get me wrong ronney is a very good player and could get better than Baros but at the moment he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

milan baros is the spit of chris coleman, come on people, am i the only 1 that see's it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I think Rooney has a achieved a lot for someone so young.
    I mean you don't go to a European Championship and score 4 goals if you don't have talent.
    Also making that goal for Scholes was incredible, great example of the vision, awareness and skill he has.

People are saying he's not done much at club level.
    But he's playing for Everton.
    No offense to Everton fans, but they aren't exactly the best club in the premiership.
    I think if Rooney was at Arsenal, Man Utd or possibly Liverpool, he'd have the chance and the service from other players to do more.
    I don't think Chelsea would be a good move for him.
    Obviously i don't know the guy personally but i get the impression that he would likely succumb to the trappings of the lifestyle he'd find himself a part of at Chelsea.
    The pressure to succeed would be huge.
    He'd be expected to deliver straight away.
    And maybe he would.

I think a move to a more settled club would be the best for him.

As for Baros, he's shown what a real talent he is.
    I don't think he's gotten a good run at Liverpool, between injury and Houllier he's not had much of a chance.
    If i had to choose between him and Owen based on this championship alone, i'd have to say Baros.
    Owen just doesn't seem to have it anymore.
    He showed glimpses of his former self, that goal against Portugal was very well taken and showed his strikers instinct.
    I think Liverpool should cash in on him while they can.
    But i couldn't see any clubs making bids for him.

Hopefully Benitez will give Baros a fair run next season.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

look at the similarity.............

smemon,you are right....good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by smemon
    milan baros is the spit of chris coleman, come on people, am i the only 1 that see's it?

I also noticed this but u only see it when both have longer hair than they normally do at the same time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Baros does look like Chris Coleman, but I think he looks even more like Ms. Dynamite.

And Rooney has done nothing of note except being the new focus for the hyperbole the English media love to indulge in. He looked decent in what turned out to be a poor group in Euro 2004 where as Baros has scared the **** out of the Dutch, German and Danish defences. A slight bit more impressive than Switzerland and Croatia, I feel anyway.

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    I think Rooney has a achieved a lot for someone so young.
    I mean you don't go to a European Championship and score 4 goals if you don't have talent.

Killian

Dont get caught up with the english media and there rush to find the next big thing,they have just coped onto Becks and are looking for another pin up[ (its just a finger of speach "fat boy" is no pin up).Lets face it ronney has doing NOTHING at club level and very little at Int level thats not to say he is a bad player I think he could go on to be a great player but he is not one yet.

El-Hadji Diouf had a very good world cup in 2002 and nobody calls him a great player anymore.The main point is roney is one to keep an eye on and injoy he GROW into a great player...dont put al this pressure on him now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If Milan Baros was English, he'd be on his summer holdiays now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was browsing this thread when the thought struck me - who cares?

Suppose he were German playing in Germany would you be remoted interested?

Stop being obessed with the English football press!

Mike.

mike65
    You dont but that does not mean other people dont care.We all watch English football alot read english newspapers and most look at emglish TV so we are going to be getting "rooney mania" here to.

Simple point Baros is better than rooney but there is no Baros Mania.

Dont get caught up with the english media and there rush to find the next big thing,they have just coped onto Becks and are looking for another pin up[ (its just a finger of speach "fat boy" is no pin up).Lets face it ronney has doing NOTHING at club level and very little at Int level thats not to say he is a bad player I think he could go on to be a great player but he is not one yet.

El-Hadji Diouf had a very good world cup in 2002 and nobody calls him a great player anymore.The main point is roney is one to keep an eye on and injoy he GROW into a great player...dont put al this pressure on him now

I'm not caught up with the english media.
    I don't read english newspapers and i live in 4 channel tv land.
    So i'm about as far removed from english media as one can be in this country.
    I also have no allegiances to any club team, i just enjoy watching a good game whether it be the premiership, the euro's, the worldcup or whatever.
    So i'd consider myself pretty impartial.

As i said in my post, he hasn't done all that much at club level.
    But i'd blame that more on the team he's played with than on his lack of talent.
    He is clearly a talented player.
    Did he or did he not stand out as one of the better players if not the best player for england during their run in this tournament?
    I thought he showed signs of maturing even during the 3 and a bit games he played in.
    First game you could see his temper showing, his reactions to some tackles made against him. If i remember correctly he got a yellow card as well. But you could see him calm down in the next matches. He was still winning balls in midfield but from what i saw, the bad tempered reactions were gone.
    He also didn't strike me a whinger, he got tackled and was usually back on his feet straight away. No theatrics, no mock yellow cards like some so-called "great players" ie. Deco.

If he was Irish and played like that for us we'd be singing his praises.
    The irish media would be heaping just as much praise on him as their english counterparts have been.
    Right or wrong?

so for me I think he's been one of the outstanding players of the tournament.
    Still a diamond in the rough.
    But it's definitely a case of "watch this space".

And to get back to baros, he too is having an outstanding tournament and i'm looking forward to seeing what he can do against Greece.
    I'd also love to see him equal platini's record of scoring in 5 consecutive european championship games, and if they can make it to the final he could beat that record which would be great for him. Though he'll find it hard to beat Platini's 9 goals record, but i'm sure he won't be worrying about that.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

got accumulator before euro 2004

checz to win it
    and baros to be top scorer

100-1

OH BABY - keep knockin them im baby
    I always knew the boy had it

Simple point Baros is better than rooney but there is no Baros Mania.

There is Baros mania but i think you'll find it's in the Czech republic. :p

Why should the english media care about baros?
    Let's say that 50%(obviously not exact figures) of the english people watching the euro's generally don't watch football week to week and don't support a team.
    Now let's say that of the remaining 50%, 4% support liverpool (a generous enough percentage).
    So basically 2% of those interested in the euro's support liverpool, these are really the only people that are genuinely concerned about how baros is doing.
    You can be pretty sure that these people are taking an interest in baros' progress whether he's appearing in the english media or not.

So who's going to sell more papers, Rooney or Baros?

Killian

I agree that its all about selling more papers,they try to wip up a storm around one player it used to be becks but now its Rooney.But I dont think that is far to Rooney after all he little more than a kid.Thats the prob with the English they build up up and up and then they fail.

What happens now if Rooney has a bad season....the media will turn on him (as is happening with Becks).They should let the lad grow up and injoy looking at him turn into a great player,dont put the pressure of a whole country on to one 18 year old.

PS:You need to drag yourself out of the 80s and get out of 4 TV Station lad.

• Advertisement

I agree that its all about selling more papers,they try to wip up a storm around one player it used to be becks but now its Rooney.But I dont think that is far to Rooney after all he little more than a kid.Thats the prob with the English they build up up and up and then they fail.

What happens now if Rooney has a bad season....the media will turn on him (as is happening with Becks).They should let the lad grow up and injoy looking at him turn into a great player,dont put the pressure of a whole country on to one 18 year old.

I totally agree, it is far too much pressure.
    That's why i think a ridiculously priced move to Chelsea would be a terrible idea for him.
    The pressure and media coverage would be too great.

PS:You need to drag yourself out of the 80s and get out of 4 TV Station lad.

In the 80's i only had 2 channels, so we've made some progress. :D
    I don't mind the 4 channels really, means i spend less time flicking.
    And i generally don't watch all that much tv.
    I stop now, before we get off topic. :D

Killian

Beckham sold his soul to the media a long time ago and I have little sympathy for the guy if he has to take a bit of grief.

The media won’t turn on Rooney if he has a bad season.

Football media are a lot worse in some other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dub13, I really don't understand how you think that an Irish person reading English papers would rate Rooney higher. I think the English media get so obsessed with players that it actually makes the Irish turn against them and try to spot their weaknesses. Rooney is the best young English player I ever had the privilege to see play (even better than Owen at 18 IMO). K!LL!@N doesn't have any English channels so can judge for himself and I'd say the 'country folk' would rate Rooney higher than any non-biased city person.

eirebhoy
    The amount of people who were fooled by Beckham,2/3 years ago not many people were saying that he was not that good.he is one of the best in the world with a dead ball and well thats about it.My point is most peole just went along with what the media said.Eveb most of the Irish press were going on about him.

Now I hope the same thing does not happen to rooney as I think he is 100 times the player beckham is/was.

Rooney isn't a pretty boy like Beckham.
    He's not going to get the same kind of sponsorship deals and the same kind of exposure that beckham got/gets.

I don't expect to see Rooney at fashion shows wearing sarongs. :D

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy
    The amount of people who were fooled by Beckham,2/3 years ago not many people were saying that he was not that good.he is one of the best in the world with a dead ball and well thats about it.My point is most peole just went along with what the media said.Eveb most of the Irish press were going on about him.

Now I hope the same thing does not happen to rooney as I think he is 100 times the player beckham is/was.
    I and everyone I know said Beckham would be found out as soon as he moves to Madrid. Suprisingly he had a decent first half but, like the rest of his teammates, had a poor second half to the season. I don't think any Irish person would think Beckham or Rooney are better than they are just because it says so in the papers (and as I said, usually the opposite happens). Maybe we think Duff is a better player than he actually is because he is praised after every Ireland match. BTW, the Irish media don't rate Beckham at all.

He's not going to get the same kind of sponsorship deals and the same kind of exposure that beckham got/gets.

I don't expect to see Rooney at fashion shows wearing sarongs. :D

Killian

:D

No thankfully, Rooney is a good old fashioned footballer :D

Killian

I bet he will have no probs pulling a top class bird....its amazing how cash can make you good looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    . BTW, the Irish media don't rate Beckham at all.

Best laugh ever is to hear Dunphy after any match with Beckham in it sayin how useless he is!! cant remember which game it was(think Madrid v Monaco) last year in Champions League and he was slating him not stop!! sayin he was useless and done nothing for the first half....on second though might have been the Bayern game

Anyway he also says he is useless.....very funny!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement