Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jscript.dll error.

Options
  • 28-06-2004 10:38am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Need a bit of help with an error message Im getting in XP.Keep getting an error in internet explorer saying something that jscript.dll is causing some sort of error in internet explorer and it has to close.
    It seems to be only on certain web pages(like boards) that its happening.

Ive reinstalled windows twice to see if that helps but it doesnt.

Any ideas??

Maybe a change of browser would help as IE seems to have a lot of faults in it?If I do need to change browsers then whats the best free one and how do I go about removing Internet explorer.

Thanks for the help.
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd recommend Mozilla Firefox 0.9 - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

As for removing IE, I wouldn't bother, just set firefox as your default browser. IE comes in handy for things like Windows update which doesn't like other browsers.

I haven't tried removing IE from XP/2K but I'd imagine its unpleasantly complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

BBC news says microsoft dont advise ppl to use IE until a loophole is patched. Seems to revolve around javascript too.

Check for infection. Search your computer including hidden and system files for Kk32.dll.
    Infected servers are adding a malicious chunk of Javascript to all the web, gif and jpg files served up to anyone browsing the sites they host.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its not a virus as Ive the latest definations and ran a full scan which showed up nothing.Its not spyware.Ive ran all the IE updates and still the same.

Worst thing is this isnt even my pc.Its a friend who had every spyware program and something like 5 or 6 trojan infections on the pc and asked me to sort it for him.
    He never heard of a firewall/anti virus.

I plugged the pc into my bb connection and this problem wasnt there,it was only when I plugged into his connection that the problem started.

Just minutes ago he said that his phone had been disconnected on Friday(All this happened on Saturday/Sunday) but the BB connection still worked.

Eircom wouldnt be able to "cause" these errors in such a way that you`d have to get your phone reconnected even though the BB is free until September(Conspiracy theorists ahoy).It just seem too much of a coincidence that the PC was fine on my connection but started acting up on my friends.

Im assuming its just one of those annoyances with IE that refuses to go away.I had the same problem in WIN98 with some other error that just sorted itself after a while.

Think Ill try Firefox but I believe that you need to add other 3rd party extensions to Firefox for it to work properly.So which extensions are best?
    Thanks
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, firefox is fully functional after a basic install. The extensions just add further functionality, such as ad blocking, skins etc.

The base install of firefox includes popup blocking, tabbed browsing, 1 basic theme (skin), and very basic ad blocking.

I highly recommend the AdBlock extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Try installing the Java components from Sun's site, it probably just the Java engine that's screwed or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    Try installing the Java components from Sun's site, it probably just the Java engine that's screwed or something.

Suns Java has nothing, repeat nothing to do with Javascript or Jscript.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Javascript [or JScript] are built into the browser itself and do not relate to Sun Java. If there is a problem with the Javascript it will usually just relate to the browser and switchign to a differant browser, such as Mozilla, Mozilla firefox or even Opera will sort out your problems.

This problem could have been caused by the recent IIS and IE bug which may have hijacked your system. Your best bet would be to install a differant browser, such as Firefox and see if it runs no problem. You could also try to remove Internet Explorer [Control Panal > Add Remove Components > Add Remove Windows Components [I think it is off the top of my head] Then try and reinstall Internet Explorer 6.1 [you can find it at windowsupdate.microsoft.com or other various sites]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by Nick_oliveri
    BBC news says microsoft dont advise ppl to use IE until a loophole is patched. Seems to revolve around javascript too.

Check for infection. Search your computer including hidden and system files for Kk32.dll.

Looks like the risk of infection is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by hostyle
    Suns Java has nothing, repeat nothing to do with Javascript or Jscript.
    My bad ;) Thanks for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by doodle_sketch
    Looks like the risk of infection is gone

I'm gonna be accused of being a paranoid / delusional anti-Microsoft parrot here, but ...

The threat could be back again very easily. The single server hosting the malware may be gone, but all the servers open to exploit by it - and all the client browsers susceptible to those vulnerable servers - are still very, very numerous. All it takes is a new malware hosting server to go up and it starts all over again.

Microsoft say SP2 will fix it, but SP2 is still in beta. Even when they do get it rolled out: until its tested and proven not to break stuff; until everything it may break is fixed or worked around; until all vulnerable servers are patched; until all vulnerable browsers are patched; there is still a risk of serious compromise. How good are the chances of all that happening in a small time scale?

This is, however, off topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement