Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shrek 2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

Have I entered bizarre-o-world? Did anyone actually see this movie? It was awfull! No structure whatsoever. the film started and then it was just straight into the "action", forcing out as many jokes as possible.

I loved the first one so it's not like I'm a cynic. This was just over done, skits on lord of the rings?? totally over done hollywood aka land of far far away?? The only good bit was antonio banderes as the cat.

What I really don't understand though is why everyone thinks it's so great? Granted there are a few funny bits but the first one was way better. Which is probably why they pretty much replicated it the second time around. Come on, she decides she loves him as he is and turns back into an ogre, does this not sound familiar... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

The only good bit was antonio banderes as the cat.

Actually, I was pretty disappointed in that particular bit, whereas I loved the rest of the film... perhaps the plot itself was not wonderful, but the same can be said about the first film. (ogre has to rescue princess for ridiculous villain, they fall in love, princess happens to be an ogress, they marry), and actually this time the plot was a little more complicated. I agree that they replicated quite a few things, but they also elaborated a lot on others. Hollywood as Far Far Away country, sounds rather ironical to me.... I think that as someone has said, the problem is that Shrek 1 was a surprise, with Shrek 2 everyone expects a lot more...

I really don't think that's it. I just didn't think it was that funny. The plot for Shrek 1 was supposed to be ridiculous, that was the whole point. They just didn't really have a plot for the second one. It was just like they came up with a load of jokes and tried to build the story around that.

And what was with the soundtrack? The music was great of course but I don't think I've ever seen movie with so much. Was it supposed to be a promotional thing? Try to get as much in as possible, no matter how irrelevent to what's going on!!

But like I said before, what I really don't get is why everyone loves it so much. I'm beginning to think I went to the wrong movie!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by dr_funkenstein
    They just didn't really have a plot for the second one.

Eh, Shrek and Fiona go to her parents gaff to get their blessing etc etc. The Fairy Godmother wants her vain son as the next King so tries to sabotage the relationship with the help of the King. You can't get a much simpler plot then that. Mix that in with some very funny scenes, great animation, great soundtrack and you've got a winner. You just can't please some people :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by dr_funkenstein
    I really don't think that's it. I just didn't think it was that funny. The plot for Shrek 1 was supposed to be ridiculous, that was the whole point. They just didn't really have a plot for the second one. It was just like they came up with a load of jokes and tried to build the story around that.

And what was with the soundtrack? The music was great of course but I don't think I've ever seen movie with so much. Was it supposed to be a promotional thing? Try to get as much in as possible, no matter how irrelevent to what's going on!!

But like I said before, what I really don't get is why everyone loves it so much. I'm beginning to think I went to the wrong movie!!
    Ah don't be such a drama King.

Originally posted by Imposter
    Ah don't be such a drama King.

:p

and some people are too easy to please. I did see the film, I know what happens. And since when does the simpler the plot mean the better the film?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

since it's shrek

a fairy tale comedy

mother of god, it's not meant to be requiem for a dream.

just shut up and laugh

It was just like they came up with a load of jokes and tried to build the story around that.
    Well, perhaps people who liked the film were happy with the jokes, and you were looking for something else, it happens sometimes. I did not notice that the jokes were more important than the story, but these things are always subjective, and maybe if I saw it again I would agree. You didn't go to the wrong film, it's just that you are a little more demanding... ;) (I know how you feel, I keep wondering what the fuss about the Da Vinci code is about, and I get very irritated sometimes :D )

• Advertisement

I guess I got a bit carried away. It's totally unreasonable to assume everyone will have the same opinion as me! 2bh, I thought it was alright when I saw it, it was just when everyone started going on that it was better then the first one... I got a bit worked up! But then again, it's nice to have the odd argument once in a while to get the juices flowing ;)
    It mustn't be that bad if people are willing to defend it so passionately

(PS. I just read over my posts and they really weren't meant to sound so patronising and grumpy! I'm quite a cheerfull person really :) )

at the end of the day, you either like, love or hate a film. It doesn't matter if the person beside you has the opposite opinion. I've read awful reviews about films I've loved and excellent reviews about films I've hated. It's a matter or personal taste. If you start to let others dictate what you do and don't like then you've got a problem.

it's nice to have the odd argument once in a while to get the juices flowing.
    And besides, since it is a universal law of nature that no-one is perfect (Osgood Fielding III dixit :D ) Shrek must have defects. Someone has to mention them for the world to see... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 daisyhead

Originally posted by petals
    I thought the music from the first film was better but the music from the second one was still good.

Oh but the evil and pointless reworking of classic Buzzcocks, could have lived without that!:(

Loved Puss in Boots though- "I must hold on before I too run completely mad"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Puss%20in%20Boots.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

oh such a cute pic!
    i think the film was great... knowing that everyone was expecting the donkey and the humour from the first i think its extra hard to pull off a comedy sequel... and not just seen as regurgitated jokes... but i think they stood up to the challenge and it turned out great :D
    i was laughin lots!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blair_witch

i loved the Pinocchio bit "im wearing ladies underwear" and his nose stays still then they say "are u wearing ladies underwear" and he says "no" then his nose grows ....tht is funny. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by azezil
    Had seen all the funny parts in the ad's over and over... found it boring and the animation poor in places.

But first time I seen the ad's I thought they were halarious... just spoiled the movie for me :dunno:
    Yeah, the neverending deluge of ads in the run up to a release is awful - it ALWAYS spoils a film 'cos you end up in the cinema just piecing together the bits you've already seen (which inevitably are the best parts), leaving nothing to the imagination.

I often go bezerk when there's a film I wanna see coming up - "TIP IT OVER, LAA LAA LAA I'M NOT LIIIIIISTENINGGGGGGG!! LAAA LAAA." Good job I saw Shrek 2 on the first night otherwise I woulda been driven demented!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Loved it. Donkey and puss n `boots were especially funny.
    The bit at the end where they sang livin la vida loca cracked me up

Advertisement