Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payday Monday (5th): 50 Euro freeze out. NLH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I like freezeouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

As MrP said "The more the merrier", or is that the more the merrion? I cant remember.

Did Dev not say there were limited places in the first post on the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by Waylander
    Did Dev not say there were limited places in the first post on the thread?

We kinda told them we could get 20 or so but possible a lot more. If there are more they will probably accomodate us.

The more expressions of interest we get the better the position we will be in.

So, get as many people as you can there.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Stick me down too!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah I said there were limited places but that was just to add to the exclusivity :)
    We can easily acomodate 30-50 I'd say.

This will be a regular thing but we might move it to saturday, depending on the wishes of the majority.

This isnt a "Boards" event so much as a bunch of us getting together to sort this out for our own amusement. I would have no objection to non-boards people playing but I'm not going to go out of my way to publicise it to them. It is, however, how a forum's community grows... look at the archery board or scuba board... they run activities all the time.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Early Monday evening is fine by me but if its going to be moved to Saturday can we have at it an early time like 1 or 2pm?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well its Monday for sure this time but after that we'll take a consensus...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

I am in.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Nice one Tom (and anyone else who organised it) :)

Count me in anyway! I may be able to get a few friends together for it too. Hopefully they will take note of the interest in it and host it themselves on a regular basis. And then the Fitz will want to compete and there will be a spawn of games for the thinner pockets out there.

Will you be taking money from each person or just from the prize pool? It would be more appealing if it was from the prize pool.

Thanks again!

We were going to have a rebuy but decided to make it a freezeout so you would play cormie;)

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

HAHA.

I feel the love! Your such a charmer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

count me in. There's a chance I may have to go abroad for work, but most likely be there. Certainly hope so, it sounds like good fun.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

I should be OK for this although it's a little early for me. I might also have two mates to come along.

Ed

Great... the more the merrier....

DeV.

Got any more details regarding rake etc DeV?

No, I have to talk to the Merrion tomorrow to see what our costs are in that department. From the organisers' point of view I think the people who organise it should get something out of it but we arent exactly talking wodges of dosh...! If we get 30 people thats 1650 (30x55), from that I would expect to paying out 400 as top prize and down to 9 places if we can. Thats pretty good odds when consider that its nearly 3:1 that you'll get at least your money back!
    It really depends on how much the Merrion take... I'm probably thinking of sharing 100 notes out between the 5 organisers.

We are in control of all of these details, not the Merrion, we just have to pay them, they dont much care where we get the momey from!

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I know I'm going to get my head bitten off asking this but here goes. What kind of organisation is involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yea all that drinking with poker pro's must be really hard work

are you surrreee it's ok to be -21? I know I rang before and the lady said you have to be 21+, even for poker. Hopefully she was just new.

• Advertisement

I'll ask tomorrow Cormie but you'd pass for 21 any day of the week to be honest. I dont think they particularly care and I'd imagine that that is just the party line.

Muso, there isnt a lot apart from potentially dealing for tables and a night or two sorting things out in the Merrion with the people there. I think the rake will probably go towards the next event and making it bigger etc but if they chose to drink their cash I wouldnt complain, it might not be much work but its not much pay either lol!

Personally I could care less about the cash, I'm much more interested in the future :)

DeV.

Originally posted by bohsman
    Yea all that drinking with poker pro's must be really hard work

It's not easy putting away 3 or 4 pints an hour for an afternoon and part of the evening. It really took it out of me. The things I do!

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

They only look at the year so if your born in 83 your fine otherwise tell them your paid into the tournament with boards and your only there for the poker

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Originally posted by DeVore

Muso, there isnt a lot apart from potentially dealing for tables and a night or two sorting things out in the Merrion with the people there. I think the rake will probably go towards the next event and making it bigger etc but if they chose to drink their cash I wouldnt complain, it might not be much work but its not much pay either lol!

Personally I could care less about the cash, I'm much more interested in the future :)

DeV.

Yeah you're welcome to a few drinks for getting this going. I was just curious as to how much the merrion were doing and how much they were leaving ye to sort out.

To be honest I want them to do as little as possible as I'm more then capable of floor managing something like this myself. I would like dealers but I need to ask about that tomorrow night.

I will be trying to keep it to something in the region of a fiver per person but I dont know if they will go for that...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

would def like to be in on this but im away . curses! count me in for the next one.

+plus have the Merrion got their collective fingers out and sorted decent numbered chips for the touranment players ?

Fitz Club have them beaten hands down in this area alone.
    anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sirchancealot

I havent sorted the costs with the Merrion just yet but I'll be taking literally beer money from the pot for myself and those helping organise things. This isnt about making money for us, its about the game and building it here for people like us.

I saw you mention a figure somewhere here about splitting €100 5 ways for organising this.Why?

I appreciate the fact that you were motivated enough to do this but I dont get why out of a potentially small pot you might remove €100 or there abouts.

Another point is why might there be a rake,surely the merrion benefits from the possibility of new members joining,I could walk in off the street join up get a free drink and some nibbles and leave.The way I see it the merrion get new people through the door (good for them),they get €5 a head on a night when they run a freebie (from memory) and the possibility of this becoming a big event which they had very little to do with bringing about.

Would this skimming and rake be a continual process?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this

I will most likely be asking 5 people to deal all night for us and they will have to pay in too since they will also want to play.... I'm not doing that without offering them a discount/pints.

The Merrion isnt a charity, its a business... yes it probably costs them very little to let us use the room but then again its their room and we either like it or lump it. I havent been sent the specifics of the deal just yet but its pretty likeable I think.

I dont think the "potentially small" pool as you call it is actually all that small. If we get 30 players (conservative estimate) we'll have a prize pool of in or around 1400

Btw, care to identify yourself, we're all mates here and I have this kinda thing about talking to people who remain anonymous...

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

Btw, care to identify yourself, we're all mates here and I have this kinda thing about talking to people who remain anonymous...

DeV.

*lol* For a founding member and Admin of an Internet message board service you have a funny attitude DeV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I'm happy to deal/play on the night if you want DeV. just stick me in seat one...Safety Of The Dealer.

Advertisement